ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brands Hatch 15-11-13 - Novice report.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Thought i'd share some photos and the experience.
Went with my brother in his Mk2 Scirocco (2.0 16v Seat powered). It was only our 2nd time on track, the first time was at Brands in december last year - in the wet sharing his MX5 - very sideways but not fast!
We were much luckier with the weather this time, so the 1st time in my own car and in the dry.

Arrived early and grabbed a garage, which we shared with a nice chap in Blue 172 Cup and his mates in Mk2 Golf GTi and a Caterham.

Before the pits filled up:

Clio172BrandsHatchPits1.jpg

Ran on some used 15" Avon ZZRs on the front, these were great, only used about 1-2mm of tread and did alot of laps. Rears were some cheapish BF goodrich's which felt quite weak walled but once topped up with pressure and warmed up were very predictable.

Cheekily ran my Racechrono so kept a log of times and laps. I did 113 laps (£1 a lap then!) best time was 59.8 seconds, and was consitantly running at 61-62 seconds on the clear laps.

Was nice being on a road car only day, meant there were no idiots in real race cars using it for testing. And not many stopaages that I noticed. Early on someone (i think 172jack) spun on padock hill and a porsche dived in to the gravel to avoid him. An M3 ended up sqaushing his N/S everything on the armco and about 3ish another BM dumped a fair amount of oil and water on Graham Hill bend which meant the last half hour was spoilt by having to avoid the apex.
There were a couple of clueless morons, mainly old guys - one in a merc who when the red lights went on for the oil/water, failed to find the pit entry TWICE! another in a bog standard late model 5 series touring who thought queing for the noise test was for everyone except him, then asked the classic 'did I pass' - go home mate! (funilly enough I didnt see him on track one so he may well have done!)

Cant wait to go back again.
Will get some videos up soon too.

Some professional shots:

Clio172BrandsHatchClearwater1.jpg

Clio172BrandsHatchDruids3.jpg

Clio172BrandsHatchPaddock1.jpg

SciroccoBrandsHatch.jpg

Didn't have any scary moments, this was the closest I came to getting it wrong:

Clio172BrandsHatchPaddockKerb1.jpg

Clio172BrandsHatchPaddockKerb2.jpg

Clio172BrandsHatchPaddockKerb3.jpg

Clio172BrandsHatchPaddockKerb4.jpg

182, 6r GTi
good write up bud, we were very lucky with the weather like you im a novice to track days this only being my 3rd i was in the white polo gti.

as you mentioned the m3 smashing in to the barrier, tbh it serves him rite the lap before he was driving like a complete t**t shot up the inside of me in Graham Hill Bend forcing me to avoid him and in the process nearly go in to the back of the silver jag convertible

other than that a great day out and a very fun track indeed

Ah this was the quick silver clio going round! Cool that I'm in first picture also!

I was behind you when you touched the gravel at the bottom of Paddock Hill, I did wince myself just incase the car came round and I collected you. Lol

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Hi Loggy,

I had the blue 172 Cup - we shared pit 23! Was a cracking day with a full day of uninterrupted sunshine. I can't seem to track down the pro photos, I suspect they have not been released not he MSV website yet?

i was taking it fairly easy out there, but you were flying along and putting that little clio through its paces... Top work.

i was running new Toyo t1rs which despite not being scrubbed in, felt very predictable and lasted pretty well. I think the side walls are a little soft for track use but a good compromise on a predominantly road based car. Very good value though (I paid £48 per tyre for 16's)

Good to meet you and your bro - loved his Rocco. Fast and retro cool!

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Hi Loggy,

I had the blue 172 Cup - we shared pit 23! Was a cracking day with a full day of uninterrupted sunshine. I can't seem to track down the pro photos, I suspect they have not been released not he MSV website yet?

i was taking it fairly easy out there, but you were flying along and putting that little clio through its paces... Top work.

i was running new Toyo t1rs which despite not being scrubbed in, felt very predictable and lasted pretty well. I think the side walls are a little soft for track use but a good compromise on a predominantly road based car. Very good value though (I paid £48 per tyre for 16's)

Good to meet you and your bro - loved his Rocco. Fast and retro cool!

172 ph1
Yep it was me who dicked it on the first corner..had the wrong line and forgot to scrub in my new tyres = big spin made me nervier for the rest of the morning..I didn't no it was a porsche I sent off was he able to go back out on track? I wanted to say sorry to him but didn't no who to say it to as I didn't no what car to look for..that mate in the m3 who dicked it was asking for it he was in the pit next to me and It was grate seeing his face after his crash lol

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Awesome photos, thanks for putting those up. My friend was in the old 993 Porsche that went off to avoid the other clio. he was fine though and got out on track again later in the day once his nerves has calmed down!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Yep it was me who dicked it on the first corner..had the wrong line and forgot to scrub in my new tyres = big spin made me nervier for the rest of the morning..I didn't no it was a porsche I sent off was he able to go back out on track? I wanted to say sorry to him but didn't no who to say it to as I didn't no what car to look for..that mate in the m3 who dicked it was asking for it he was in the pit next to me and It was grate seeing his face after his crash lol

Only just on shot - poor porka!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qqwClVFwnZA#t=638

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
59sec around brands in (what appears to be) a near enough standard 172 is pretty bonkers. I had to drive my 182 pretty much flat out to break 1minute.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Thats why i want to see it. I think my best time was a 1minute dead and that was flat out with some mods in a cup. no way could i have got that in a standard one.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I have, got a vid. but typically its a cheap chinese dash cam that was working intermittently, so gets stuck at various points on some laps, and that lap was one of them, however the time stamp on the vid confirms it was just under a minute. Also have the racechrono data which shows pretty consitant sector times over day.
Without meaning to brag , im a pretty competent driver.. and whilst im a novice to trackdays, im not to competitive driving, done alot of autosolos and test over the years.
Im going thru the videos at mo to clip together some of the better laps.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
My comment was pretty much based on me thinking a standard 172 couldn't go around brands in 59s, regardless of driver. Interested to see the video, it must of been one hell of a lap.

Don't cup cars go around brands in 58/59s?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I looked up fastest laps, thought it was closer to 55sec for the full on racers?
Car is largely standard, no engine mods bar a cheapo cone filter, but does have spax adjustable shocks and 30mm springs, and the ZZR seem a good tyre, but i guess the racers would be running remote reservoirs and full slicks so not much of a comparison.
To be honest if I was going by the GPS then it wouldnt be as clear cut, as its only on a phone so hardly super accurate, but the video time stamps seem to verify them quite well.
When reviewing the GPS laptimes it gives an optimum laptime, which knocks another second off my best laptime when you string the best 3 sectors of different laps together. Will be going again soon so will try and pick up a better camera and/or GPS logger.

Heres the video of 3 of my better laps, apologies the last and (typically) fastest lap was corrupted. But time stamp does show it was a shade under 1m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9hYfSgD2_0