ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes or bearing?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hello, not sure if a coincidence or not..

Yesterday i got two front tyres fitted and tracking done on my 172. On the way home after i heard a slight grinding noise upon breaking and pulling away. It is a rubbing/grinding noise and gets louder from the point of braking.

Not sure if like the pads are sticking or if it is a wheel bearing. As you are rolling to a stop, you can hear it rubbing slightly, you then break and the closer you get to stopping the louder it gets.

However, from hearing I think it is the rear right wheel area..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Brake or break?

Have you looked at the back brakes, should be pretty obvious if something's up. I'd says its the brakes, if braking makes it worse. Wheel bearings are a continuous drone from my experience.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Alright, thats what made me think brakes as bearing on my VTR was a constant noise..

Anyone else?

172 Phase 1
A few things you may want to consider before throwing money at the car:

If they have done the wheel alignment they may have pulled on the disc to turn the wheel (with the wheel off) this means they would have grabbed hold of the backing plate, it could be touching the disc ?

How long has the car been sitting for, could be slight corrosion on the discs. This will make a grinding type noise when driving.

Jack each wheel up individually and spin the wheel, check for play ?

Obviously check the thickness of the pads.

If all ok, get it back to the workshop that fitted the tyre, only if you are certain the noise was present after picking the car up

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
As said it was the front tyres which got changed. Thanks for the suggestions though.

It was found that the pads were extremely low, which was caused by the sticking caliper.

53 quid later, and both sides of pads sorted = no noise!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pretty sure you'll need to sort that sticking caliper out to?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah the mechanic looked at it and said it just needed to be released, i'm no mechanic but that should solve it?