ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brakes & Clutch

Ive just brought an old Clio for a runaround car because the other half keeps pinching mine.

Engine wise its sweet as anything, couple of problems with it as to regarding the brakes and clutch.

First of the brakes are very weak, Im 100% going to take it to a dealer and get both these problems sorted because its pretty clear if you ignore problems with the brakes your pretty much suicidal.
Theres no constant breaking, its either nothing or full on heavy breaking, Does that sound like worn pads?
The pedal feels a bit weird too, almost like theres air in the system as I can hear a sort of squidigng noise if I pump the pedal after leaving it for a while then the noise goes away and the pedal sort of gets stiffer.

Now onto the clutch, the pedal is really stiff, my mate said it could be that one of the bearings gone on it, The clutch engages and bytes fine just that its really stiff.

Anyone want a go at est. on how much this is going to cost to get put right?

Quote: Originally posted by DarrenRN on 13 August 2005
Im 100% going to take it to a dealer and get both these problems sorted

Dont take to a dealer, you will be anally raped for anything upto £80 an hour on the labour rates fella!

Hiya, I think something is wrong with the clutch as my mate who had a Clio reckoned it was extra stiff too. If I press the clutch with the radio off it sounds like theres a wire streching or something like that.

Havent checked the brakes yet will probably ave a look tommorow if its dry out.
To describe the brakes actions it feels like theres nothing there when you put your foot down to brake, it just rolls on unless you press extra hard on the pedal then it brakes hard, there is no light or medium braking.

And like I said about the pedal the first few times I pump it; its quite squashy and sounds like your pumping air.

Sorry I meant my local garage round the corner which charge £20 per hour.

anyone know what Kwit Fit charge?

Im scared of taking it in to get an opinion on it incase they quite rightly refuse to let me take it away in the current condition that its in.

As its a nice(ish) day Ive got some time for the Clio, If I took the wheel off would I be able to get a better look at the pads and how much is left on them?

Caddy Maxi

the clutch is cable mate so thats why it sounds like its stretching and the gay routeing of it makes is extra stiff but thats the only way it will route, as far as the brakes go id first check the pads, if not get the system bled through cos odds are its probably not had a fluid change ever