ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake question

White R26/Stripped Valver
If you read my driving story you'll know about my little brake incident when I lost my break pad in transit lol. Anyway Ive been to the mechanic and they have said that the piston has come out too far to push it back in and will have to take the caliper off, now this bit I don't understand, if they take the caliper off they said I will need to get a new caliper fitted. Why is this?

Focus MK2 1.8TDCi
You may have broken the seal inside of the caliper.

When i realised my brakes were fubared in may, i took the calipers off to check the seals, then again, you have to take the calipers off to change the discs. When i did it, my pistons had also been pushed out, but not too far, so i put all my weight on a wrench to push the pistons back in.

i only decided to change the calipers on my clio when i did that, as the pistons were rusting and pitted behind the seals.

not too sure though why else they may say that you may need new calipers.

BMW M135i
No idea why they say you need new calipers you should be able to just wind the piston back in unless its damaged the seals as said. They shouldn't cost too much anyway if you need a new caliper.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like bmh01 says . The piston screws into the caliper onto an adjuster screw . There are no seals inside the caliper body itself , just the dust seal on the outside . Should be an easy fix .

Clio Cup by RIKUS
Hi, are we talking about the front or rear calliper??? anyway renault got a seal kit to make both calliper brand new so I don't see why you'll have to change you Callipper ????

LY 182
I think the mechanic may be telling porkies.
he's probably not, i had a hyundai sonata as a private job a few weeks ago which the customer complained of "a slight grating noise when braking slowly"
so first thing i did was jump in the car switch the ignition on to be deathened by the gangster rap he had on the stereo at full blast and set off for a roadtest, drove about a meter the noise was horrendous and the thing hardly stopped.
got it back popped a wheel off and was completely missing one brake pad and the piston had actually popped out of the caliper spraying brake fluid everywhere.

1 new caliper..

you often get it they are just on the verge of popping out if the pads are really low and you have to wiggle the piston back in to the caliper as it wont push back and even then theres a chance it will leak

LY 182
Like bmh01 says . The piston screws into the caliper onto an adjuster screw . There are no seals inside the caliper body itself , just the dust seal on the outside . Should be an easy fix .
of course there are seals! how the hell do you expect the fluid not to come straight out the first time you put your foot on the brake,, and its not so much just the fact the pistons popped out its more down to the fact if the pads came out it grinds against the caliper

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ No seals " inside " front or rear brake calipers , trust me ;) . I suggest you strip one down and have a look . There are dust seals on the front , thats all . The reason the fluid doesn't leak out is because its such a tight tolerance between the caliper body and piston itself . They can be a bugger to get back in they are so tight .

Black 182
^^^ No seals " inside " front or rear brake calipers , trust me ;) . I suggest you strip one down and have a look . There are dust seals on the front , thats all . The reason the fluid doesn't leak out is because its such a tight tolerance between the caliper body and piston itself . They can be a bugger to get back in they are so tight .

There are seals inside the caliper or the fluid would just pour out ,the dust seal is just there to stop dirt gettin in .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

There are seals inside the caliper or the fluid would just pour out ,the dust seal is just there to stop dirt gettin in .

I hold my hands up . There is a seal inside . Just been to have a quick look at one i stripped down :eek: