ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake problems (help)

ph2 clio 172
Hi my brakes seem to be playing up , they can be fine then all of a sudden you put your foot down then try to slow down and the peddle goes solid feeling like its wobbling slightly . It comes back afterwards and is fine again .
ive taken it to the garage and basically there saying there not sure if its servo? It's gonna cost a fortune and they can't be sure it will solve it.. Any ideas ppl ? I've tried pumping peddle then starting the car and the peddle drops down as normal. Also this happened after having my rear disks and pads changed. Thanks

182cup & 172 racecar
If they were non genuine disks, the abs ring might be too narrow and you are getting a iffy signal.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes, or you have a cracked abs ring. Or they have forgotten to put the spacer washer behind the disc, which a lot of places do.

182cup & 172 racecar
Take it back and get them to check it properly, would only take 1/2 hour. Your rear abs ring should be 7.5mm wide

ph2 clio 172
Tthey say they have checked everything and its all ok =\ just seems strange it was fine before the brakes were done . Looks like ill have to let them do the servo and hope its ok .

Clio 197
Tthey say they have checked everything and its all ok =\ just seems strange it was fine before the brakes were done . Looks like ill have to let them do the servo and hope its ok .
Take it somewhere else for a second opinion or have a look yourself?

ph2 clio 172
Sorry to bother you again .So you would be fairly sure it's not servo that's gone and its something to do with the brakes that have been put on ? Cheers

182cup & 172 racecar
Sounds like it, but it's hard to tell on the net. If you were closer, I'd have come and had a look for you. It can't be much, just got to know what to look for.

I don't like the sound of your garage tbh, most unlikely to be servo (but I could be wrong).

Hope you get it sorted.

What disc's did they put on? cheap ones I bet.

ph2 clio 172
They were just mintex discs and pads . I will leave servo for now and get my cousin to go through bit by bit . Thanks a lot for your help

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Hi all,
I had this problem the other day! Really gave me a scare after picking it up from a garage after some work,
i supplied some rear discs pads abs rings and bearings ect, mintex from eBay.
well after being told my servo is not working abs pump is not working, I have an air leak I found out that the abs rings on the discs have 48 teeth and threw the abs sensors out!
I tapped the rings of bought some 44 tooth rings chucked them In the oven little bit of lube and tapped the back on.
hope this works for you aswell

Ph2 172
Yep changed mine over from the std discs last night and all is well. Mintex are f*cking incompetent!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Lots of problems with not using genuine discs on here, not worth saving a few £s to get branded ones, crap wheel bearings etc to.

Ph2 172
Lots of problems with not using genuine discs on here, not worth saving a few £s to get branded ones, crap wheel bearings etc to.

Sod's law I did a search and didn't see anything bad about Mintex. Ironically I had the option of Brembos without ABS rings or Mintex with rings from G172 and chose the Mintex as it would be 'easier' lesson learnt!

Just to add, George's service was great. If only Mintex put the correct rings on the discs.

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Glad you got that sorted!!! I will never buy mintex brakes again. It's really dangerous I didn't realise I had no brakes until I came to a junction!