ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake problem

Clio 1.4 16v
hi everyone.
I just bought a clio 53 plate 1.2 extreme billabong whatever it is for scrap price as it needs an mot soon and it's got a problem with the brakes.
when the car is off and I pump the pedal it gains a little pressure but not loads.
when started it has nothing, slams to the floor but it does operate the brakes slightly and the abs kicks in.
The resovoir looks empty and i can seem to see any leaks. but I've been told it should still be a harder pedal with air in the lines it's something else as it goes to the floor.
can someone advise me a bit more of what to check.
Thanks

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It sounds like air in the system to be honest (or rather in the abs pump) if there's no obvious leaks anywhere?

Clio 1.4 16v
It sounds like air in the system to be honest (or rather in the abs pump) if there's no obvious leaks anywhere?

thanks for the reply
does it bleed the abs system when you bleed the brakes as normal?
is there any certain order of bleeding?
and I'm gonna have a go at it myself please correct me if im wrong but basically I figure undo bleed nipple get a mate to press pedal and then close bleed nipple, repeat until just fluid comes out on each wheel??

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Yes technically you are correct, however there are many 'horror' stories of trying to get air out of abs pumps, I'm not am saying that is definitely the issue you have but if it is you probably won't get the air out without either a pressure bleeding unit or using Renault diagnostics. As for a procedure you'll need to start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder/reservoir and then work your way to closest. There will come a point when there's no air apparent and probably the fluid coming out will look a lot cleaner, once this happens you'll need to work in tandem with who's pressing the pedal to make sure no air gets back into the system by closing the bleed nipple when the pedal is fully down and not opening it again until the pedal is fully up.

It certainly won't hurt to try bleeding the brakes and I'm not trying to scare you out of doing something, I'm all for people doing their own work providing they're confident :)

Clio 1.4 16v
Thanks m8.
I am confident in doing work but have never done brakes.
il give it a shot.
as the master cylinder is on drivers side I'd go rear pass, rear driver and to the front the same.
If I can't get air from the abs pump I should still get better feel to the brake pesal but spongy still due to the air in the abs pump.

il post up my results and hopefully it's a fix! fingers crossed

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Fingers crossed indeed mate, take it slow and steady and you'll be fine, give all the bleed nipples a spray of some wd 40 first though, if they haven't been undone in a while its all too easy to round off the nut on them and then you're really stuck

Ads