ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Light's Flickering

clio 172
I am stripping out my 172 2003 for a track car. I removed the dash at the weekend which involed removing the steering wheel.

Since putting the wheel back when ever I start it the esp and service light come pretty soon after. If the headlights are of and I press the brakes then then headlights come on side lights with the brake lights! Aslo if the light are turned on then the brake lights are contastly on and after a few presses the start too flicker like a strobe contastly until you press the pedal again, then continue to flicker once you let off the pedal?:banghead:

Have been reading through about pedal switches, and have fittted one a few days before I started stripping the car and all seemed fine.

Have also read about the steering angle sensor, but nothing I read says about the brake lights not working properly!

Any help or idea's would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Did you disconnect the battery when removing the steering wheel? I'd imagine the ESP light is on as you say, due to the steering angle needing to be re-set. Its common for this to need re-setting when the wheel is removed.

As to the brake lights, i'd imagine its just a bad connection if its only happened since removing the dash. I've seen a couple of Clios with poor connections at the UCH (Black box behind the glovebox, can be seen if looking under the dash in the passanger footwell) causing all sorts of problems. Check all connectors, and make sure all the earths are good as well.

Clio 182 cup
Check your electrical connections to rear light clusters.
I had the same on a 4 year old 182. water gets into the connectors, then rust shorts out the terminals.

If thats the trouble a srap yard is your best bet.
Rear lamp holder and electrical connector with length of wire still attached,
splice the connector into your wiring.

clio 172
Cheers for the replies, I have checked all the conections again tonight. I shall check the rear light tomorrom a see what the connectors are like and let you know the out come

clio 172
Thanks gilmour182. It was a brake light bulb!! Not one I've come across before, although at last after a couple of days trying to find the prob it's sorted.