ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake bleeding order

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I have read pretty much every relevant thread out there to figure out which order to bleed the brakes on my 172, and frankly, being rude, most of them are a joke 😂. Everyone seems to have an opinion (is an opinion OK for bleeding brakes :tonguewink:🙈), and everyone's opinion is different :grimacing:.

Anyway, this is what I found in an online Clio manual:

IMG_7630.PNG

Now I've translated that to:

1. o/s rear - because longest run/circuit.
2. n/s front - because same circuit as 1.
3. n/s rear - because 2nd longest run/circuit.
4. o/s front - because same circuit as 3. and the only one left :wink:.

I've also read that it doesn't really matter what order :confused:, but let's assume I'm going to do the OCD method, can someone who knows concur with the above? I know I got it from a manual, but it's still nice to have reassurance from the knowledgeable and experienced :blush:.

Many thanks :up:.

I have read pretty much every relevant thread out there to figure out which order to bleed the brakes on my 172, and frankly, being rude, most of them are a joke 😂. Everyone seems to have an opinion (is an opinion OK for bleeding brakes :tonguewink:🙈), and everyone's opinion is different :grimacing:.

Anyway, this is what I found in an online Clio manual:

View attachment 177840

Now I've translated that to:

1. o/s rear - because longest run/circuit.
2. n/s front - because same circuit as 1.
3. n/s rear - because 2nd longest run/circuit.
4. o/s front - because same circuit as 3. and the only one left :wink:.

I've also read that it doesn't really matter what order :confused:, but let's assume I'm going to do the OCD method, can someone who knows concur with the above? I know I got it from a manual, but it's still nice to have reassurance from the knowledgeable and experienced :blush:.

Many thanks :up:.
The manual is the correct James may way of doing it.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I followed a megane haynes manual for cars with abs. Brakes were spot on after getting all the air out of the abs pump :D

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I followed a megane haynes manual for cars with abs. Brakes were spot on after getting all the air out of the abs pump :smiley:
That went well then :smile:. Don't you need CLIP to do that on these cars?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Will my eezibleed kit I bought in 1989 be ok, or should I buy a new one :smile:.

Also, I believe I need an 11mm flare spanner, but Halfords ones are 10mm/12mm combos now, which is a bummer if I wanna sort it all tomorrow.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like @JB21 said . Bleed in any order , it doesn't matter . Just make sure you keep the reservoir topped up . I use one of these tubes , cut in half with some tubing in the middle joing each part together . One end onto the cracked open bleed nipple , the end with the rivet into an old jam jar/ container . Half a dozen pumps on the peddle , top up the reservoir , another half a dozen pumps , top up again , maybe another half a dozen pumps and top up the reservoir if there's alot of air in the system then tighten up the bleed nipple and move onto the next caliper. Job done.
You don't need a flare spanner , just a ring spanner . I've changed all my bleed nipples for stainless ones because the original ones can be tight and shear off easily .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-M7-x-...G&clk_rvr_id=1168244172757&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
That went well then :smile:. Don't you need CLIP to do that on these cars?
I was advised to bleed the car with the engine running. Worked a treat. Handy to know if ever it happens to you :) mine ran dry as I was changing the rear beam

also used an easy bleed kit plus used the foot pedal together

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I use one of these tubes, cut in half with some tubing in the middle joing each part together. One end onto the cracked open bleed nipple, the end with the rivet into an old jam jar/ container .
s-l500.jpg
Cut in half and tube in the middle - is that just to extend it so its long enough?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I managed to get it all done today - braided lines and fluid. The old lines came off without any trouble and the old fluid was dark so it was easy to see when the fresh new stuff came through.

I rounded one bleed nipple but still managed to get it off, probably need to replace it at some stage - can someone confirm the size M7 x 1mm pitch, length?

My old eezibleed wasn't up to the task though, there was a small hole in air the line from the wheel, and the cap rubber seal must have perished meaning fluid leaked out of the reservoir 🙈. I nipped to Halfords and got a new one.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help :up:.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Eezibleed's are one use and bin from my experience, the main bottle cap never went on straight after the first use as the seal had warped itself like most tend to do.
I might just bleed my brakes again then, get some value outta my eezibleed 🙈.

My best advice... Get a 172 Cup...
Good idea, but tbf, the eezibleed was a bit cheaper @ £20 :tonguewink:.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I bought one of the Laser pressure bleeders a few years ago for about £50-60 and it's been worth every penny.

Done my cars several times, my brother's megane loads and a few mates cars.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know what size spanner the bleed nipples are? I've tried a 6mm and 8mm but it seems like it wants to be a 7mm. Such an odd size, it's not imperial is it?