ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Based Badness

Clio 182
Hi Guys,

Bit of a weird one with the brakes on my 182, hoping someone can steer me right before i go chasing a problem in the wrong way.

So, brake pedal felt a bit spongey when i got it and, upon checking the service docs, no indicated brake fluid change. So got the fluid done about 3 weeks/1000 miles ago with 5.1. All done properly, with the abs pump on etc etc. However the brake pedal STILL feels a bit spongey at the top... Unless i press it twice.

Basically, if i'm going along and press the brake, the stopping power is ok, but not spectacular (it kind of feels like the brakes have already faded and from 10mph down to zero there is no bite at all, almost like the pad isnt even on the disc properly); but if i give it a quick dab, lift off and then press it again, the braking power is how it should be, nice and strong, with a firm brake pedal.

Now the way i see it is that when i give it that quick push on the pedal, i'm putting some pressure/heat into the system and then when i lift off and press it again the pressure is nice and high and the brakes feel strong.

So, do i just need to get them bled (baring in mind that i only just had the fluid changed) or do you guys think there is something else going on? I know i read a few weeks ago something about bearings and the like causing piss-poor braking on someones 182.

All opinions welcome! Cheers guys.

LY 182
If there's massive play in a wheel bearing the discs side movement will continually push the piston in the caliper back, meaning every time you break you effectively have to pump the piston back out before it even touches the disc. Would be worth giving the wheels a shake, could also be air in the abs system, there's a thing on diagnostic to run the pump motor to push the air out whilst bleeding, not needed that to date though!

Clio 182
Top man Ditz. I'll try and check that out.

As far as i can tell there's no other signs of their being any play in the wheel bearing, no grinding, wheel wobble or anything like that. Would there be anything else to look for? Aside from being able to shake the wheel all over the place when it's up on the lift.

Also guys, any other suggestions or experience still most welcome!

LY 182
Not really, just shake side to side up down etc etc and any general play is an issue, movement between the disc and caliper bracket if it did have play would cause your issue.. Front or rear!

Clio 182
Not really, just shake side to side up down etc etc and any general play is an issue, movement between the disc and caliper bracket if it did have play would cause your issue.. Front or rear!

Cheers Ditz, I'll shake them like i'm having a seizure and see what happens. Also, saw your miles to a tank thread that got closed, I get a little over 200 with a mixture of town, back roads and motorway crusing (at about 80-90). Seems low compared to what other people report so i'm thinking lambda sensors seem to be the way to go! Hope that helps.

And as for the discs and pads, couldn't tell you. The front discs are mildly corroded on the very bottom edge, so i'm going to go for some brembo HCs and ds2500s (obviously) at some point soon; but i'd like to sort the issue before i do that (assuming that it's not the discs and pads that are the problem). The only thing that leads me to believe that it isn't the discs or pads is that after the initial push the power of the brakes is really good and they don't fade even when i'm pushing on.

Cheers for the help guys, keep it coming!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Splash of oil on the pads can stuff them.

Have a look and see if they're really low. You could also have a sticky or seized piston somewhere. You won't know until you take them apart tho..

daver1985

ClioSport Club Member
  172 + 555 scoob
i had the same problem turned out to be a seized slider on front caliper. causing the caliper to spring back on the 1 that wasnt seized. i had to press pedal a couple of times to get a firm pedal

Clio 182
Cheers guys, my list of checks is getting longer (and more expensive). Massively appreciate all the help.

Daver, What did you do to sort the slider? Was it a replacement job or a sh*t load of grease?

LY 182
The sliders a good shout actually, it's normally a case of heat to free them off good clean and re grease.. I'd actually say that's most likely if you've noticed no other symptoms

Clio 182
Cheers guys. Hopefully it is the slider, wouldn't be too much drama! I'll report back when i've had it checked out.

Any other suggestions would be great still; massive thank you to all you guys so far.