ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bose or Sonos

late 2003 172cup
I have yamaha and kef set up. Had my yamaha amp since 1999 , It's powerfull and sounds great. None of the small stuff would touch it. But I like the thought of minimal equipment and great sound.
I have a KICKER ipod dock and it fills a room with sound and lots of thumping bass. I love it. Has a square sub on the rear. It beats the bose and zeppelin in punchy loud music.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I listened to the NAD and the zeppelin. There was nothing in it, except the price.

The NAD is amazing for £200, I can't believe it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Digging this up....

I still maintain that the Bose soundlink mini is brilliant for a small speaker. However, the wife has managed to "put ours somewhere safe" and I'll be damned if I can find the bloody thing, so I decided to see what sonos was all about.

Have to say I'm impressed, I've been using the new beta android software (the old software looks like it was designed by the designers of speak and spell) and it makes searching a breeze (spotify + google all access) - it's so good that even the wife quite happily uses it.

The sound is great as well.

I think both are great (soundlink & sonos) - but both serve different purposes.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
]I think both are great (soundlink & sonos) - but both serve different purposes.

Yup this was exactly what I thought. Soundlink mini is good for portablity, but for a fixed home system the Sonos is good.

Rav4
People say Bose is expensive but Sonos is well over priced.

I do like their system it's also a winner because it is wife friendly but the price is quite a lot.

For instance, if you want stereo, you need a couple of say S3's, then if you want some semi descent base, you need the sub too.

2 x play 3's (£250) = £500

1 x sub = £599

Total = £1099

A lot of money.

Alternatively I know it is not like for like but the Audi Engine A5+ and airplay, far cheaper, less than 1/3 of the price.

Good toys though, specially as you might not need the bridge anymore.

SQ5
Sonos haven't changed their pricing in 10 years since it was first released. It used to be a very cost effect multi room
audio solution when compared to what was around, we used to do Living Control at £16k for 6 rooms just for equipment. Sonos was (and still is) about a Grand a room with 2 speakers.

And Sonos has added and added features too at no extra cost!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
My parents got the SONOS sound bar, oh my what a brilliant bit of kit.
We looked at Orbital sound as that was superb quality also, but the sales man kept cranking it up to 11 and I couldn't hear what the feck he was saying. So I was put of that aspect.

The sonos guy was genuine and told us about it all, and gave us some hints and tips with it.

So far parents bought the sound bar, are looking into the Play 1s (as you can mount them on stands so allow for surround sound) Looking at the Sub too right now.
But can buy it as it goes along so its not all freakishly expensive at once.

Brother got a Orbital sound and woofer for his games room stunning sound off that too.

But for me the sonos has the edge. Super integration to iPad, iPhone and Android. All stacks in nicely and easy to use.

The only reason they don't release specs is so that you go to a store and hear the difference for your self. Sound is subjective everyone hears something different. If they said one of there speakers was X watts and X Ohms and X-X frequency response range. From those figures would you know how it sounded?

Except Bose dealers are not allowed to conduct back to back demonstrations with other products.

An orange one
I just treated myself to the Bowers & Wilkins Z2, as i still like to have a lightening dock, but cant justify £500 on the zeppelin. Its a great bit of kit.

Nice and compact on the kitchen worktop, with airplay as well from anywhere in the house. Great sounds for something that size.

John Lewis had it for £265 until the 30th of this month.