ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW gurus

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Right I had to new Uniroyal tyres fitted the other day and have left the fronts (nankang ns2) on due to loads of tread left. But it handles shockingly now. It feels like the back tyres are flat and it's worse when turning at speed and on the motorway. Do odd tyres on the back effect these cars?. It's an E46 330 tourer

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Yeah I've double checked. But I think I'll triple check just to rule that out. I have ordered some new front tyres so that they will all match again. It's just strange. Though I think my rear calipers my be very slightly sticking. Because they get hot. But surely that won't make it handle like jelly?

Last edited:

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Well I checked the pressure and they were both 34 psi where as I had them at 41psi so we shall see when I drive home after work in the morning.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I found that my Rainsports were quite squidgy on the sidewall, even at 45 profile too.

Give em a jab with your thumb and then jab the front ones and see if they feel any different?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Your right mate they are squidgy compared to the nankangs. I wonder if that's what's upset the handling then?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
As above the sidewall is soft as s**t. They kind of collapse on themselves, that’s how they’re well rated in the wet. I don’t think they’re suited to heavier cars. Think it one of the reasons they work well on the clio is the low weight.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Bloody hell. I wouldn't mind half the fookers on the BMW group rave about them lol. Live an learn eh

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Hahah your right mate. Similar on the E46 group. I should of just asked on here lol.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
It's already been said. But it's 100% down to the rainsports.
They're a really good tyre for monsoons. But make the car feel like absolute crap on the road in the dry.

The XL version is a little better.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
It's already been said. But it's 100% down to the rainsports.
They're a really good tyre for monsoons. But make the car feel like absolute crap on the road in the dry.

The XL version is a little better.

Funny you should say that. I've got the XL lol. My fronts should be hear today so will atleast have all the same on.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
yeah at least it'll feel like jelly all around haha!
i used to run them on my trackcar for wet and driving to and from the track..... there was more movement in the sidewalls than there was the suspension ?

i used to run NS2 on my daily and they seemed orate given the price. Nothing amazing but certainly better than the RS3 for how they felt

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Put a couple extra psi in over the OEM requirement (when cold, obviously) and see how it feels after a few hundred miles.. you'll need to get them worn in a bit before they might feel a bit better.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've got PS3's on my Megane and they feel spot on, barely lose grip in the wet or dry. Don't roll the sidewalls and don't cause much cabin noise for my 6am motorway runs to work:cry: Only paid £134 delivered for 4 of them on 7mm?

From now on I'll always try to get Michelin, Yokohama or Nankang tyres because I find them 10x better than other s**t I've had in the past.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
my E46 320d was very sensitive on the front when the front tyres got partly worn, tramlining etc.

The difference once new fronts were put on was unbelievable.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Thanks for all the replies. Will try adding extra psi and hopefully when i fit the fronts it will sort most of the problem out. If not will just go drifting everywhere yo ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bit late now, but i always used to run Kumho KU39's or Falken FK452's on my e46's.

If you dont like the Uniroyals just take them off and put them on eBay - people always want to save a few quid on tyres.

I had none other than Landsails all round on my e46 325i. Gripped far better than I was expecting it to.

Rainsport 3 XL were good on my Clio in most conditions (including the dry) but they didn't feel as good as the Michelins when really pressing on