ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

Sure it's nothing a good polish couldn't sort out, unless it's the same as Trophy paint.

Looks like a solid shell, did you go for LHD on purpose originally or was it just the car that cropped up at the time?

Bet this takes you all of like a week to swap everything over lol.

Good luck.

Probably... But personally I just dont like red lol. There was no reason for the LHD originally, was just local/solid/had no sunroof and had the MTec kit on it so bought it as something a bit different.

Before driving it I thought it was going to be alot different but it wasnt at all, just natural to drive after a few minutes.

The new shells got a sunroof but Ive given up caring about it now as I wont find another shell in the same state as local as that one was etc etc, just want it usable.

Could have it all swapped in a weekend but im going to get rid of the black shell once everythings off it and get the red one painted before bolting anything upto it!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Could have it all swapped in a weekend but im going to get rid of the black shell once everythings off it and get the red one painted before bolting anything upto it!

Besides obviously having to seal the sun roof up what other downsides to it are there?

And sounds good, going for black again or got something else in mind?

Something else probably, maybe a dark silver/grey. Need to have a think!

Bad thing is you cant plate the sunroof on them like a Clio etc, as they are an actual body panel which goes under the roof. Just going to end up painting it and fitting a manual mechanism I think!

Turbo Beige
You can remove the sunroof mechanism and weld the panel in from below, then seal from above so it looks like there is a rubber seal in. It looks pretty OE, if done properly, and will pass scrutineering if needed, as its a steel panel in place.

E46 Compact Sport rack is the one to go for, other than a CSL rack from all accounts. I migth know someone with a spare CSL rack if you wanted to go down that route.

You can remove the sunroof mechanism and weld the panel in from below, then seal from above so it looks like there is a rubber seal in. It looks pretty OE, if done properly, and will pass scrutineering if needed, as its a steel panel in place.

E46 Compact Sport rack is the one to go for, other than a CSL rack from all accounts. I migth know someone with a spare CSL rack if you wanted to go down that route.

Yeah I've been doing a bit of reading over the weekend - purple tagged e46 racks with 067 code is the one apparently? Im assuming the CSL one will be a fair whack more expensive mind!

Windy sunroof will have to do for now until I decide what I'm doing cage wise/got the car running/set up properly, then will look at welding it up

Turbo Beige
Yeah I've been doing a bit of reading over the weekend - purple tagged e46 racks with 067 code is the one apparently? Im assuming the CSL one will be a fair whack more expensive mind!

Windy sunroof will have to do for now until I decide what I'm doing cage wise/got the car running/set up properly, then will look at welding it up

That sounds about right. I think they where only fitted in the E46 Clubsports or the Compact Sports, there isnt a lot of either in scrapyards. Might be cheap enough from the dealers.

Theres a lot of weight in the sunroof catridge on an E30. We left it in the last one i worked on, it was running in the Trackday Trophy with a 3.5litre lump in it and needed to bring the PtW ratio in a bit!!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
roof chop and swap?
good work on sorting it though in all seriousness

satin grey
Picture1-2.png

how about porsche signal green with no lacquer?
Picture2-1.png

Picture3-1.png

White clique
The official factory promo video for the E30s is a work of art in itself, love the cars too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a good laugh at that video lol. As for the color, itl be some sort of grey I think, nothing looks as mean on the E30 than a grey/black IMO - dont want anything mad bright/stand out either!

Been plodding along after work over the past week, got the black one pretty much stripped down and ready to get the red one rolling...

IMGP7860.jpg

IMGP7855.jpg

IMGP7854.jpg

IMGP7852.jpg

IMGP7847.jpg

The downpipe looks like it has plenty of room when its out of the car, but it really does not once its in there!

20120309201358.jpg

20120309201423.jpg

Bracket onto the engine side of the gearbox mount to keep it from banging/attached to the engine movement..

20120309201431.jpg

Then dropped the front subframe/suspension setup off in once piece, hoping to bolt it up to the other in one go..

20120309201502.jpg

20120309201510.jpg

20120309201729.jpg

But it would not fit, 10mm out on the holes so it must have bent slightly when it was hit. Luckily I picked up a spare with the shell so il have to swap everything over. Can see the bent leg more with the engine out..

20120309201517.jpg

20120309201740.jpg

Along with a hefty dent in the downpipe where the steering linkage hit..

20120309201756.jpg

Got hold of an E46 'club sport' 067 rack..

20120309201039.jpg

Couple of pictures of the exhaust off the car, never put any up after it was made..

IMGP7862.jpg

IMGP7868.jpg

..and thats about it for now. Dropped the whole rear subframe and diff off but no pictures of that, last job is to swap the tank to the other shell before fitting the suspension and getting it rolling. Going to leave it until next week now!

Aye both the same shell bar one being LHD and the other RHD as standard. Fitting the MTec kit from the bent one to the red one and jobs a gudden'

f0xy said:

That bolt looks awfully flimsy for what it's trying to do, is it possible to brace to the axle to put it in double shear?

While the car was in bits I thought about modifying the rear arms to put them into a double shear - but decided to make a thread on the E30 forum asking what other people thought too. It turned into a bit of an argument between a few people and ended in them talking about a lot of technical calculations - thought you may be interested!

HairyScreech@E30Zone said:
I have an e36 rear end by the back door (uber council i know) so ill have a look, never really looked at the bolt that close as you wouldn't really unless you were going to replace it or check it like this.

i have assumed 16mm outer diameter for the spacers here (ignore where is wrote 14mm at the start, i wrote that while at uni)

If someone would like to check the math (as i'm prone to stupid errors) then we can assume this is the acceptable minimum loading for failure and fatigue to occur.

84d3b6d0.jpg

bb9befee.jpg

Thought i would just do it as maximum safe wheel loads, then once we know the spring rate we can see if its above or below.

Pretty much from that we can see it doesn't take much to produce a fatigue effect in the bolt.

Its 100% a bolt i would be replacing at least yearly if i was going to rely on it to hold the car up and i think that's a small concession given the consequence of it failing.

I've literally just welded some plates onto the rear ARB mounts tonight for a bit more strength, not set the bolt up on a double shear yet though. May be tempted to get a second set of wishbones, mod them more and get them powder coated when I've got more time and actually put some miles on the damn thing!

Been cracking on a bit in the evenings with a big of help over the past few evenings. Swapped the tank from the black shell to the red one with a bit of messing around. I wanted to route the fuel pipes down the drivers (O/S) side of the car, due to the fuel setup on the SR20 being on the drivers side too. Before the pipes would run across the top of the tank, up the N/S, then back over to the O/S in the engine bay which was a pain. After a bit of tank (panel) beating using some wood and a hammer, I had a good shape to let the pipes fit down and along the drivers side nicely.

Next up we tried to fit the whole front suspension/subframe setup in one go, until we put it in position and the holes would not line up, meaning the other subframe must have been bent in the crash. I got a spare with the replacement shell, so swapped everything over to that then put it onto the car. Fitted the E46 '067' rack and RHD column, just need to screw the E30 tie rods on then its good to go.

20120322184621.jpg

20120322185029.jpg

20120322192037.jpg

20120322192054.jpg

Used some 3mm plate over the top of the ARB mount on the rear arms, then welded them on..

20120322194846.jpg

20120322194913.jpg

Dragged the rear beam (complete) under the car and bolted it up into position..

20120322200432.jpg

Fitted the column linkage between the rack and column..

20120322210948.jpg

20120322211230.jpg

Dropped the back down..

20120322211216.jpg

Then the front, back on four wheels again :boring:

20120322210932.jpg

20120322211011.jpg

20120322211034.jpg

20120322211156.jpg

Hopefully the black shell will be gone at some point over the weekend, only a few more bits to take off it. There is only a bit of welding (bulkhead blanks, seat bars, etc) and drilling left to do on the red shell before its ready to be prepped and painted. Hopefully in a few weekends time :clown:

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Finally a update ;)

tbh i am surpised to see that you are bolting bits on before painting the shell until i read your last paragraph.

Are you getting the shell dipped before painting? There is a place in preston that ive used if your intrested.

Nah, cant be bothered as of yet, especially before putting a cage in.

Bolted the stuff on so it can be moved around (to get rid of the black shell) and because only blowing over the whole car..

Paint jobs only going to be a quick DIY matte/satin affair to get rid of all the red and get the kit matching, as things are gonna have to be sanded/ground off for a cage to be fitted when I ever get round to it! Just want it driving so I can set it up and see what needs changing before doing any major work

Yeah - plan is to get all the welding done this weekend, paint it next weekend, then put the rest back onto it over the bank holiday weekend giving me a few weeks spare until Marham after that!

Bit of an update, got a few bits done over the weekend/evenings - been trying to get all the big jobs and welding done before paint. Set about getting the seat mounts welded - not many images 'in progress' but I was just cracking on. Pretty much the same as what I did on the black shell, 3mm plate for strength and made use of the threaded holes already in the floorpan of the E30 chassis. I changed the way it was done slightly (good thing about having done the same before I guess!), although I still had to box out the drivers side (as the seat is narrower), but this was not required on the passenger side as the seat is GT width.

20120325162722.jpg

20120325181300.jpg

20120325181323.jpg

20120325181331.jpg

20120325181341.jpg

Next up was the intercooler mount. Two bolts through the top of the slam panel as before, then a piece of 25mm x 5mm bar welded underneath as a support. Cut it to a tight fit then welded it solid.

20120326181005.jpg

20120326181012.jpg

20120326181018.jpg

20120326181640.jpg

Made sure there was enough room behind the cooler as a 16row oil cooler is going to be mounted on the bottom of the crossmember stepped behind the intercooler..

20120326182031.jpg

20120326182007.jpg

The majority of the brackets/mounts in the engine bay are not required so needed cutting off. I also decided to cut out the battery tray on the drivers side as its not required. Also cut out the servo mount from the bulkhead as it will be plated up with the rest of the holes..

20120326184533.jpg

20120326184540.jpg

20120326193518.jpg

20120326193545.jpg

20120326193525.jpg

Only the bulkhead needs to be welded up now, along with some spreader plates inside for the harness eyelets. Couple of other holes to drill for the handbrake, P-Clips and various other bits then it can be prepped for paint. More soon!

Yeah, its been good to change the way I've done things slightly from the first time too, should be quite a few improvements