ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMS shifter with OEM cat in place?

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Question for anyone running a BMS shifter NOT PMS.

Is anyone running one of the BMS shifters with the OEM cat in place? I'm told they drop down quite a bit under the car and are very close/foul the OEM cat.
Can anyone please confirm for me. Yes I've asked Ash who makes the BMS and i believe he does these mostly for race cars with a decat pipe fitted. This is not something I'm prepared to do.

Thank you :)

Is the bms a modifed scenic shifter? Because I have a scenic shifter running a cat and its close but doesnt touch, I cant run a heat shield

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Is the bms a modifed scenic shifter? Because I have a scenic shifter running a cat and its close but doesnt touch, I cant run a heat shield
Yes it is a modified scenic shifter. However unsure if in its modified state if it hangs lower than an oem scenic shifter?
Is there no way to run a heatshield in there?

Yes it is a modified scenic shifter. However unsure if in its modified state if it hangs lower than an oem scenic shifter?
Is there no way to run a heatshield in there?

This had been modifed but not sure how much lower it is to standard.

IMG_5591.JPG

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I run a scenic shifter that I modified in pretty much the same way as the BMS ones come. I'm running a heatshield and decat but there is room. Have to bend the heatshield around so it doesnt catch and I also sometimes feel the gearstick move if the linkage hits bumps with it sitting lower.

My car is quite close to the ground though anyway

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running a scenic shifter with standard shaft and a yanoo short shift to reduce the throw to match the standard shifter. No issues with the cat or heatshield.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Frayz the pic above that Zach posted is of a shifter i sold him it was extended in the same way as the BMS. If your worried about clearance you could get Ash to make you one with the bottom linkage extended less, this would give a slightly longer throw but would still give the benefit of the shifter being closer to the wheel.
Another option would be to get the top side of the shifter modified by Ash, leaving the lower section standard then fit it along with a short shift linkage that goes at the gearbox end . This should give the shorter shift along with closer shift position but with no issues of cat clearance.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Frayz, I run the BMS shifter.

I found that when I fitted my cat back in place, the selector shaft rubbed. With a bit of a tweak on the heat shield I managed to get it to clear. Its tight but does work.

I dont know if I have any pics mind as I went back to a decat after a few days. I'll see if I have some.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I have 1 pic but it doesnt really show anything unfortunately. But as mentioned, it does miss but the heat should needs to be tweaked to do so.

Cheers chap,
I've got Ash lined up to make me one, i'm just trying to get as much info on it as possible. As i say its a road car that i drive daily, i really don't fancy the noise and agro of the decat. Likewise i want a PMS shifter, but due to the aforementioned reasons, i'm hoping the BMS would improve shifter feel and precision without any stupid rattles etc.
If i cant get it to fit as per OEM then maybe i have to explore something else?

I really need to see/try some of these bits too.
Im trying to genuinely improve the car as a road car to be as focused as possible without any of that "because racecar" tat.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I find the BMS is the perfect in between standard and PMS. The height and throw is bang on. The standard seems a too low now.

However, the PMS is a great bit of engineered kit. Feels good and mechanical, but probably a bit to hardcore for daily use. The 5th gear rattles are constant I believe, even though they have a damping reducer.

I have a early BMS so it seems a bit more homemade underneath the sleeve, but it is a decent kit. The newer ones look better. I'd recommend it for a daily for sure.

On another note, it might be worth changing the lower bushes to brass ones. Yahoo on here does them and they helped the feel of the shifter also for not a lot of money.

2019-09-30_11-00-05.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Ash also does the brass bushings .

Did you notice any more noise with the brass bushings over the original, im tempted to get a set before i fit my bms shifter but again wanting to minimize cabin noise.