ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu-Ray v HD-DVD Hotting Up LOL

R

rich[182]

http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9242

I've not got a 360 or a PS3 nor any HD kit/media so not got a foot in either camp, but find this latest development intriguing, I don't get it

HD-DVD standalone players are vastly cheaper, the media is cheaper and easier to produce and HD-DVD title purchases are increasing ten-fold

Then we have the shambolic mess that is 'Blu-Ray still not frickin' ratified' several months later which in my opinion is an utter laughable disgrace from a technology perspective

Why have Blockbuster recently stated they aren't interested in HD-DVD at this early stage is beyond me, wtf is going on lol

Then theres some studios who have said they refuse to manufacture Blu-Ray titles until the format is ratified over the BD-Java issue which when resolved could result in all the 1st gen standalone players being useless in playing BD-Java code and certain menus & extra content etc

In terms of the ratification, standards and the way BD has been implemented it's no wonder why so many of the Joe Public couldn't care less about which format route to go down, it's a big mess imo

I wonder if the BD player in local Curry's store going for the wonderful price of £799 has a big sign above it saying "come on down and blow you hard earned months wages on something which prob wont play any extras on your treasured Matrix boxset next year"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070704233604.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  Ph-Sold!
I've got 360 and HDTV but not going to touch HD-DVD or BR until they sort this mess out.

Upscaling all the way :D

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've got 360 and HDTV but not going to touch HD-DVD or BR until they sort this mess out.

Upscaling all the way :D
you're missing out!

some great films on HD-DVD, and eventually everyone will have dual players anyway as thats the only way I see it going at the moment and so you will still be able to play your discs.

I've already been enjoying them for about a year now!

Nippy white cup
Is it true that MS have some sort of part in Blue ray anyway so who ever wins they will bring out the appropriate drive?

Chris

White Sti Hatch
Is it true that MS have some sort of part in Blue ray anyway so who ever wins they will bring out the appropriate drive?

Chris

They dont have any part in it, they opted for a DVD drive in the 360 for the simple fact that what ever wins (BluRay or HD-DVD) they can create a device that will play it

Monaro VXR
Couple of the codecs used are made by MS. Both HD DVD and bluray use the same codecs thats all. The drive is really the only difference. So MS could quite easily add a bluray drive to the 360 as most of the codecs are already in place on the console now. A lot of companies use the same codecs for FMV in game.