ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What HD Dvd Player c/w Usb Slot up to £100

I am after a HD Dvd Player c/w a Usb Slot at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

The reason for a Usb Slot is i have a 300Gb of films in Avi format on my 2.5" Portable hard drive i'd like to play through it.

My max budget is £100 (if possible to get one for that) :S

I was looking at these ones below, but unsure if there capable of playing HD/Blu Ray discs and Avi Files or not. :S

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...-SD-580-HD-Up-Scaling-DVD-Player/Product.html

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...er-With-HDMI-Output-And-USB-Host/Product.html

Audi TT
HD DVD is like betamax. Nobody uses it now. Blu-ray is the future mate.

Can't make a reccomendation though I'm afraid.

G

a burnt one
Correct me if im wrong but those you have linked are neither HD DVD or blu-ray players, they are just DVD players which upscale using a hdmi lead.

Also read the reviews of the 2nd linked one, seems it isnt what you are after as the first review states it doesnt play films from a memory stick etc etc

Neither will accept an HDDVD or blu-ray disc

Ah s**t so they are :(

Sorry Gary, what would the upscaling ones be like ?

Or would they just play normal non Hd/Blue ray Discs and upscale them to near Hd Quality as poss ?

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
I use my ps3 for it, yeah it does splay avi divx etc
Or I also use my divx player..... havent got the link for my one anymore, but it cost about 28 quid, and has a usb and sd etc card slot in it.... and hdmi port too.

Think my one was a SV lynx or something like that. got it from aria.co.uk

a burnt one
They will only play normal DVD's and upscale them to 'near high def quality' no idea what that qaulity will be like though mate as i have a ps3 for playing blu-rays

a burnt one
Are you much of a gamer? if so what is you're current weapon of choice? in all honesty even though im a ps3 fanboy id highly recommend it as a blu-ray player alone, it is still one of the best on the market, plus with the ps3 being able to connect online the firmware is easily updatable, there was a time when avi, divx etc etc were not playable, soon enough itl play on virtually all formats.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
I rarely use my ps3 tbh, much prefer my pc now, esp since i upgraded it!
Dont know why tho, cus at least with the ps3 I aint gotta worry weather it'll run them ok! Spose its just a bit limited game choice wise, and expensive!

Audi TT
Xbox 360 now £130 for cheapest model and I think Sainsbury's are going to do it for £100. You can plug your usb HDD straight in and it will play them. Wont play Blu-Ray discs though.

G

a burnt one
Thats for the poverty spec model though, then with the HDDD add on its £230, why not spend the extra £70 on a ps3, (the price of a few blu-rays) on a ps3, why buy beetamax when you can get VHS.

Does the original poster have an HD telly?

Thats for the poverty spec model though, then with the HDDD add on its £230, why not spend the extra £70 on a ps3, (the price of a few blu-rays) on a ps3, why buy beetamax when you can get VHS.

Does the original poster have an HD telly?

lol the 360 isnt 230 for one with a hard drive ! you can get the 60GB one for £170 with a game or about 210 for an elite

Ok, a few mixed opinions there :rasp:

I may splash the cash and go down the road of the Ps3 :)
Unless anyone knows of Blue Ray Dvd Players c/w usb ?

As the X Box 360's getting a bit dated aint it ?

All these HD/ HD Upscaling (to 1080i/p )dvd players you see for sale sub £100.

Are they just standard/normal Dvd players that try and improve the quality of a normal dvd to near Hd Quality ?

Or am i wrong ?

And i heard that Toshiba pulled the plug on HD Discs thats why i ask above.

As blue ray seems the way forward/ the future :)

Reason for getting a Blue Ray Laptop :)

But its a bit of an arse plugging portable Hdd into laptop and into tv each time mi want to watch a film :(

120GB but same as the ps3 it will stream movies from a pc

oh and by the way neither machine ps3/360 will play files from a ntfs formatted drive it has to be fat 32

teh cheap dvd players just make a dvd look better by upscaling

bluray is not the future its the now lol the future is already something else

HD-dvd is great though buy a drive for £22 and then loads of films at 2.99 each :D

Audi TT
Elite is 120GB I believe.

I've got a Premium which has 60 or 80Gb. Don't really use the HDD on the 360 for anything other than downloading a few demos though personally.

At the minute I keep all my films on my laptop and stream them over wireless to the 360 using window media player sharing. Works a treat :)

And yeah about the upscaling DVD players. They just try and make the picure a bit sharper so that it looks better when viewing it on a large HD TV.

G

teh cheap dvd players just make a dvd look better by upscaling

bluray is not the future its the now lol the future is already something else

Ok thats what i thought regardin the upscaling.

Would i be better to try and find a blue ray Dvd player and forget about the Hd/ Hd Upscaling ones ?

Elite is 120GB I believe.

I've got a Premium which has 60 or 80Gb. Don't really use the HDD on the 360 for anything other than downloading a few demos though personally.

At the minute I keep all my films on my laptop and stream them over wireless to the 360 using window media player sharing. Works a treat :)

And yeah about the upscaling DVD players. They just try and make the picure a bit sharper so that it looks better when viewing it on a large HD TV.

G

Can you go into the wireless sharing a bit bud ?

Is it just sending files wirelessly from pc/laptopp to something via a wireless router ?

And how do you send the files from the computer wirelessly ?

i wouldnt do it wireless the bandwidth is gash use a network cable either from laptop to 360/ps3 or do it via a router/switch

yes it would its just the standard cat5 network cable thats used for ethernet networks

basically do you have a router for your internet access ?

Audi TT
No chance I'm having bloody cat5 trailing across my front room to the router. Wireless FTW.

54Mbps is more than enough bandwidth to be streaming divx movies from my laptop to the 360.

As far as setting it up goes, once you've added the 360 to your wireless network you go into windows media player then into the sharing settings and tell it to share your video and music library with your 360 which windows finds on the network. Then on the 360 you go to the Media tab, then into videos and choose your laptop as the source. There's all your files click play, wait about 10 seconds for it to buffer some video then off it goes. Jobs a good un.

Easy to setup and works a treat. Got myself a remote control to control all the 360 functions for a fiver and it's mint :)

If you were to connect the latop directly to the 360 or PS3 then you would need a special Cat5 cross over cable, a normal ethernet cable wouldn't work.

G

its not enough for 1080p HD though unless its sat ontop of the router

oh and id run teh cat 5 under the floor or through the walls it easier

yes it would its just the standard cat5 network cable thats used for ethernet networks

basically do you have a router for your internet access ?

Yeah i have a wireless router for the net, not here (i'm offshore) but at home i do.

Why you ask ?

What do i do ?

No chance I'm having bloody cat5 trailing across my front room to the router. Wireless FTW.

54Mbps is more than enough bandwidth to be streaming divx movies from my laptop to the 360.

As far as setting it up goes, once you've added the 360 to your wireless network you go into windows media player then into the sharing settings and tell it to share your video and music library with your 360 which windows finds on the network. Then on the 360 you go to the Media tab, then into videos and choose your laptop as the source. There's all your files click play, wait about 10 seconds for it to buffer some video then off it goes. Jobs a good un.

Easy to setup and works a treat. Got myself a remote control to control all the 360 functions for a fiver and it's mint :)

If you were to connect the latop directly to the 360 or PS3 then you would need a special Cat5 cross over cable, a normal ethernet cable wouldn't work.

G

Yeah the wireless seems the way to go :)
What does the cat5 cable look like ?
Is it just a normal ethernet/network cable ?
How do i connect the 360/ps3 to the network ?
just the same way i'd connect my laptop to wifi ?

when you said this
"once you've added the 360 to your wireless network you go into windows media player then into the sharing settings and tell it to share your video and music library with your 360 which windows finds on the network".

does that mean i'd have to take all the films etc i want to watch off my portable hard drive and upload/copy them/files to my computer to allow them to be put in my windows media player and connect with 360/ps3 etc.

where can i get one of these special Cat5 cross over cable from ?

oh god
cat5 is just standard network cable teh one you connect your pc to the router with you dont need a crossover cable as you are using a router

wireless or ethernet its all the same with what you do

you dont need to move your files anywhere just tell media player to include your removable drive in to the library.

Audi TT
yep as McBunny said. Just plug your portable HDD into your laptop and add the files t to your library. Then connect to the router via wireless or ethernet and jobs a good un.

G

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've tried all the ways with both the 360 and the ps3 and by far the best is to use a portable 2.5" hdd and the ps3, no lag, no cables, no wireless dropping out, the ps3 plays hd content converted from mkv to vob in seconds so i watch all my us tv shows in HD and 5.1 and the ps3 upscales very well, is silent and seems to play everything i throw at it whereas the 360 would be funny about what it would play.

Plus with the the ps3 you get a bluray player included which sounds like something you are also after.

If games are excluded from this (which it sounds like they are form the OP) then the PS3 is the best multimedia device out there at the mo.

I may actually go down the Ps3 route and hook up portable Hdd.

Seems easier than loosing wireless signal etc etc