ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blown engine WARNING: graphic content

Clio 182 Track Car
So my engine failed when out on track at Thruxton, back in September. I've since replaced the engine and had the old one laying around but today i opened it up to see the full internal damage

20151209_092540_zps3k4x8jzo.jpg

20151209_091425_zpsfzrxyl7y.jpg

Safe to say the engine is now scrap metal!

The car has been running a pop's and bang's map for a few years which is the likely cause of the failure. Be warned! It was fun while it lasted. I've since bought an RS Turner and removed the old map in favour of the 98 Ron map.

Arctic 182
Engine noob :- so that's the piston, valves & spark plugs that are busted?
Anything else? Are the conrods what go on the Pistons,

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Engine noob :- so that's the piston, valves & spark plugs that are busted?
Anything else? Are the conrods what go on the Pistons,

the conrod is the bit you can see through the hole in the piston.
I'm impressed by the valve head that been hammered into the port!

Clio 182 Track Car
The overrun map is a likely culprit. The RS Turner software showed the ecu being remapped back in 2007 so its lasted well to be fair

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Doubt its anything to do with the pops and bangs map, if the engines seen a lot of sustained revs in its life then a valve will likely drop at some point. Hence why everyone who races these engines fits Supertech valves for a bit of security. Had the exact same thing happen on the engine in my cup racer.

Clio 182 Track Car
Difficult to prove what the cause of failure was but I reckon its mainly down to giving the car a hard life on track and having the overrun map. I'm not defending the overrun map but it has been on the vehicle since 2007

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
common fault happend to mine. head comes off standard valve, as said abouve not do do with map, high revs on standard valves

BMW 320d SE
+1 for that happening to me too. Only had the car a month and did a track day. An hour in and it dropped a valve. When Mike @Rentech swapped out the engine for me, he showed me the broken one. It wasn't opened up but you could see the valve head missing and loads of swarf coming out of the ports. Like others have said, it's more than likely sustained high revs. The metal in the valves fatigues and gives up. My engine had done 101000 miles too.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So if it's high revs why do the cup cars never go pop ? They are all standard internally .

Impreza & Clio 172
Done well, almost looks identical to my Impreza when that let go.
From the look of it I would speculate a combined effort of detonation and the valve letting go.