ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody TomTom

In between cars....
well thought what the heck and went and got a tom tom go 520 (the one thats 299 in the shops) just out this week so thought id give it a go and see what like after haveing a garmin 610T for a month lol

well ot it home fired it up and tried to register for the free cam and traffic updates, code i was supplied with in the box doesnt work!

imho the windscreen mount is guff aswell and if i was to use it id have to physically plug it in every time i used it in the car whereas with the garmin the power cable plugged into the cradle so all i had to do was stick it on the cradle and it was good to go no fafin

then i realise i also need a seperate trafic module WTF if im geting a free subscription to it surely i should get the module but oh no that would be daft

not impressed at all, im sticking with garmin

1 Series Coupe
you can get trafic over gprs an bluettoh you get a years sub with a new unit last time i checked

Yea your right. The sat nav connects via bluetooth and acceses gprs on your phone to be able to pick up the traffic updates.

In between cars....
yeah the years subscription i got in the box doesnt work!! it says the code is out of date or the offer is discontinued, it only came out this week, wtf

im gona get another garmin, that tomtom is going back tomorrow, not impressed at all

are the navman's not quite cheap?

1 Series Coupe
yeah the years subscription i got in the box doesnt work!! it says the code is out of date or the offer is discontinued, it only came out this week, wtf

im gona get another garmin, that tomtom is going back tomorrow, not impressed at all

are the navman's not quite cheap?

The tomtom units are generally really good. I reccomend the "tomtom one".

Take it back to the shop, see what they say about the subscription not working, they will probly sort you out with a new unit.

172cup
my navman N60i cost £399 about 6 months ago... i beleive they are only about £250 - £299 now.

Love it so much... best sat nav ever. Fits in your pocket too! lol
N60i-images.jpg

Citroen DS3 DSport
The GPRS traffic receivers are generally far more reliable than the RDS TMS traffic modules. In the UK the coverage area of these is rubbish, so much so that TT are refusing to sell the module in the UK with the 520 and 720.

Garmin have had many complaints from customers regarding poor coverage but it's not really their fault.

In between cars....
ill sleep on it, ill be back at the shop tomorrow though, ill see what they say but at the moment, not a fan

Ibiza Cupra TDI
I've had a Tom Tom One for a few months now, never had a problem with it. I get the speed camera updates from Pocketgpsworld.com, only £20 for the year.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a TomTom One for Jain's birthday at the end of May and the thing packed up within three weeks. Turned out that the mainboard needed 'replacing' and was repaired under warranty. I should have pushed for a complete replacement, but as it was so new, that's what I should have got in the first place!

Not a good experience overall. One of the managers at work had a Navman and was using it the very next day on his holiday in Portugal - said it was a great device to use - especially as he's a technophobe!

D.

In between cars....
ill give the navman a look tomorrow, if it was only three weeks old mate you should have had a new one on the spot, no getting it fixed nonsense

172cup
btw... free red light, average, mobile, and gatso speed camera warnings on the navman. Also millions of POI's pre-loaded and available to download. Also the digital camera is really handy.

downside... there are only 2 voices to choose from (male & female). You can change it from UK to USA to Canadian, German etc... but thats it

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
i was under the impression they came installed with tom tom as standard

No,Dont think they do...Not 100% sure though as i dont have one,this was one of the reasons i never got it,As i thought the GPS was locked to nokias Nav application.

May be wrong though:S

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
I think it's still locked but people use a bluetooth receiver instead. It's been a while since I last checked.