ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Wow Test - (FAO Brand Van 86)

Clio MK 4
when i had my corsa which had black bumpers I used to put on bumper gel (which was like thick black stuff) let that dry then i sprayed laquer on it let that dry and then rubbed some back to black spray with clean cloth.

This looked imense and my bumpers were amazingly black. But even after a week it needed doing again.

I don't think there will ever be a product that can keep black plastic looking amazing.

106 GTi
Inital looks wise I would tend to agree, a few days on I am not sure it is any more durable than anything else by the looks of it.

106 GTi
Some bits look really shite colour coded though - Mirror cap surrounds and base plates, scuttle panels etc.

Mito Sportiva 135
I think the problem is that the plastics used on the 172/182s and all mk2 Clios is very cheap and nasty.

Surrounds on German cars, especially BMWs and Porsches, is miles better. I hate the window surrounds on the Clios especially!

106 GTi
A week on and well despite the initial Wow of the Black Wow it is no better than the AG now. Both treated areas are now just a slightly darker grey than the untreated areas. The Wow area is though still just marginally darker than the AG area, but is suffering much worse from the rain with both water spots and the odd streak from the rain water. The AG only suffering from the odd water spots.

Considering the price AG Bumper Car Gel can be purchased in bulk sizes for me, apart from show use for that great finish on application chaces are I will be sticking with AG for the daily drive.

Will wash the car in the morning and see how it holds up to that.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah cheers Rich. So looks like I am buying another product I don't really need by sounds of things...might still get it for customer cars though, they like shiny plastic!

106 GTi
The results on application as showed in the pics where spot on, superb gloss and a really even finish - a week on it is no more durable than the AG though, which I was under the impression it would be.

Mito Sportiva 135
:(

You tried that Aerospace 303 stuff Rich, heard that was fairly durable otherwise, although not the same glossy finish the WOW has on application?

I'd sacrifice initial looks for durability on plastics, I hate doing it on the Clio, the front grill and mesh areas and fog lights makes me sad - and around the windows its annoying if you get any on the glass then onto a clean mf....

106 GTi
Thats one I had forgot about - I used use 303 on my XSi rear spoiler, no where near as glossy looking as the WOW, not as Glossy as AG Vinyl and Rubber. Never used it on textured trim or really tested it's durability. At the time it was hard to get hold of over here and was expensive and in only in tiny bottles.

As said on other threads wax round the window seals/trims is the best plan. The front grills drive me crazy, Poorboys Natural Look and an MF takes me bloody ages.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah, fair play, had heard a few reviews of it and as it was designed for aerospace use thought it might be quite durable. Ah well. Will try the 476s around the window seals - around the side windows though nothing looks good for long as water collects there.

Something I used last time I cleaned the lower mesh was spraying the whole thing, then I spent a bit of time wiping down the front and then just had to put my finger through each hole with the MF around it, rotate and move onto the next one, probably took about half as long as the previous time I did it and seemed to work better as the spray ensured a good even covering. I use CG New Look on the grille though as it seems to look the best and last the longest, although not used the Poorboys which people rate.

106 GTi
I will crack the bottle out and do another test with some 303 on the Pug for you tomorrow on durability ! I got my bottle from some Canoe company years ago so it should be durable - but they all claim to be though !

I use the "finger in hole" method lol on both grills with the Poorboys Natural look as it leaves both the upper and lower grills looking factory. Sometimes do the lower with Einszett Vinyl Care, will be using Black Wow on the lower next time and will stick with the Poorboys on the upper as it has a strange satin finish to it if you know what I mean and the Natural Look leaves that as is.

Mito Sportiva 135
Ha thanks - having personal reviews for products - what an honour! ;)

Seriously try the spray method before getting down and dirty, makes it a lot quicker.

I know what you mean about the grill, once you buff off the New Look it goes back to the satiny finished you mentioned. They use a different sort of plastic for every component!!

106 GTi
It does come with spray head so should be ok, my main use is dashboard and interior so left it with the flip top. Will try some at some point in a small spray bottle.

106 GTi
ONE WEEK ON - UPDATE

Had a chance to wash the car today, after washing the water spots I mentioned earlier in the week came of both sides. It is still possible to tell that half the bumper was dressed and half not, the sharp line from the tape is still clear to see and the dressed half is still a darker grey than the untreated parts.

If I did not know which treated part was which dressing darkness wise it is now impossible to tell them apart in colour.

BUT - The Black Wow has fallen down now after the first wash - after a gentle wash with Megs Hyper Wash it has streaked. Even with a wipe over from a drying towel the streaks remained, the AG part despite being dark grey ( as the Wow part is) remains streak free.

As it stands now the AG looks to be holding up better. I dressed the rest of the cars trim with AG Bumper Care today but resisted re coating the back bumper to see how long the pair will hold up for.

As promised - I also tried some 303 for you Brand on the part of the rear bumper on that was not dressed. The main problem is that unlike the two products above it is a watery spray not a gel, even more runny than say AG Vinyl and Rubber. It has struggled being cleaner free and so thin to restore the colour or mask any marks in the tatty bumper like the other products have. Colour wise it is not as deep as the other two, seems to just impart a finsih that retains the colour of the trim - in this case I have an area of dressed faded trim. One for trim in A1 shape if you do get some. Will see how it holds up though. Looks wise it was not a winner.

Mito Sportiva 135
Excellent review, cheers Richard Richard :approve:

Hmm...as it stands though I am thinking maybe I don't need the WOW, ok it might look good on application but the AG certainly doesn't look bad, £15 is a weeks food at uni (well, I tell myself that, I probably spend that every other day:()

Nice one, thanks again for that. I am sure others will find it usefull though too.

106 GTi
460 miles across Dartmoor this weekend, neither the AG or Black Wow are beading water anymore, need to see the car in the light but both look gone !

clio 182 black /gold
Oh dear does not last that long. Mine goes after a rain fall or a wash or two later. I am looking forward to trying my new black wow when it arrives.