ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black DCI 65 Daily

BG DCI
Hi Gents,

Back on here with my 5th Clio.

Previously owned a:

- 172 Cup
- DCI 100
- Black Ph1 172
- £250 DCI 65

And now this £420 DCI 65:

E56FB789-36C2-434B-8215-A922EE098F7B.jpeg

As you can see, it’s a 5 door 65 dynamique 2005. 137,000 miles with a recent clutch and gearbox replacement. Decent enough history.

Won it on eBay after missing out on it the previous week for £740. Guy never turned up, it was relisted and I offered the guy £650 to take it off. He declined and I then won it for £420 (go figure).

Battled the closed M42 yesterday to pick it up from North Birmingham and got it back to Southampton after an 8 hour round trip.

It’s alrite to be fair. Needs new discs and pads and the interior stinks. It’ll get a MOT and service next week. Body work is fantastic for the age and mileage (better than my 2011 Megane).

Plans are:

- Sport Interior fitted
- 172 non CC wheel (for now until I can brave the retro fit)
- MOT
- Service

Questions currently:

- Is the heater panel the same as the Sports? (I need a new one)
- Does the sport bumpers fit a 5 door without some modification? (I presume it’s BG in colour?)
- Does the standard steering wheel airbag fit in the 172 wheels?

Thoughts and comment always welcome

Cheers

Liam

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Looks clean, Liam. Loads if Dci’s on here lately.

Only question i can answer is the bumpers, they fot straight on, but would need the feont wings too. Its the side skirts that would need modification. And it wont be BG, thats a 182 colour only.

BG DCI
So it turns out that it had more history than was stated (why you wouldn’t tell people in an advert but...):

1ECFB634-BCBC-4515-949B-90FCF4BC7021.jpeg

All in year order now with some stamps also in the book from new

I’ve ordered a full service kit and some front discs and pads.

Got a 182 interior to pick up this weekend. Unsure what to do about the rear door cards (5dr problems) but guess they’ll have to stay standard.

Going to tackle cleaning the EGR out this evening to at least do one job off the list.

MOT next week with the discs and pads fitted for it. As long as it’s not a ridiculous bill to get it through I’ll do the service afterwards!

Last edited:
  Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
No there's a t50 torque bolt behind airbag, plenty of how to videos on YouTube I was worried about airbag but was an easy job

BG DCI
So I tackled the EGR valve cleaning and charge pipe. Followed this guide on YouTube:

Was pretty straight forward for anyone with some mechanical knowledge.

EGR was a little sooty:

303092adafd8d0545968199254a2b978.jpg

And then after a clean:

03ff4ca9e67a22a72fd4b2c2a19ab94d.jpg

Also the charge pipe was worse:

cd38a7ab5f3956e16e32021f76fa0346.jpg

a43f01e466ae3f0de59f98c608d6ac64.jpg

All in all it was worth while exercise and hopefully will keep things clear for a while.

Noticed this plug was missing:

03efbb51caebc30210526b009db0a974.jpg

But think it’s blanked off... the YouTube video showed his DCI 65 with a plug to remove there? I had no spare wires.

Also had a huge screeching from a belt on and off almost like clockwork every 10-15 seconds... not sure what gets worn on these? Any advice?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Looks like a tidy dci? That hole is blank in the dci65 pipe, the sensor is in the boost hose from memory.

Egr looks as clean as they get wouldnt have bothered cleaning it, they usually stay like that with a good thrashing once a week ?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Wish my EGR looked that clean when i took mine off lol. Mine was filled full of crap. Interestingly though, my pipe was pretty clean so the opposite of what you have found with your egr / pipe.

Does it need the cambelt and drive belt changing?

BG DCI
Wish my EGR looked that clean when i took mine off lol. Mine was filled full of crap. Interestingly though, my pipe was pretty clean so the opposite of what you have found with your egr / pipe.

Does it need the cambelt and drive belt changing?

Yeah strange way round, the pipe was shocking compared to the valve!

Quite possibly with the belts, yes! I was thinking that was possibly causing the screeching but hard to diagnose.

The cambelt was done years ago so going to have to suck that cost up ASAP. Water pump and drive belt at the same time I’m guessing!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah strange way round, the pipe was shocking compared to the valve!

Quite possibly with the belts, yes! I was thinking that was possibly causing the screeching but hard to diagnose.

The cambelt was done years ago so going to have to suck that cost up ASAP. Water pump and drive belt at the same time I’m guessing!

I had a price for everything from Renault Wolverhampton for just £127. Genuine Renault parts. Cambelt, tensioners etc, waterpump, 5ltr coolant and drive belt. If you can do it yourself or know someone who will help it will work out a cheap major service.

BG DCI
So progress is slow due to work commitments and gathering necessary parts for the MOT / general clean up.

Sourced some front discs and pads from @Mazz who’s a absolute gent! As soon as there here it’ll go in for it’s MOT and we can find out what else it will need.

Last advisory was ‘play in steering rack inner joints’. And I’m guessing this is why the steering is so vague. Will wait and see what they come back with!

Trying to sort out the interior bits out as well. The car stinks of oil weirdly but think it’s because the seats / interior has had some van or work use.

This evening I managed to take off the 2005 fitted towbar. The bolts were horrendous and with keeping the rear bumper on, it was difficult to get some movement on the ratchet.

Had a good helper (even though he was looking in the middle)

d7469d3121dc083dd863abe1e1819b35.jpg

The electric connector on the towbar though has some well rusted nuts and I’m struggling to open it up so I can disconnect the wiring.

f82f75983b5aef2f1b30c83acc1b1fa5.jpg

Loads of WD40 ect. but the screw has a flat head on top which makes life annoying.

Should I persist or just got the wire inside by the light cluster?

It’s all wired in so not sure what it will do to that circuit however...

Thanks to everyone who’s sent PMs of help and advice or replied to the thread. Always loved the community here and glad to see it’s still thriving!

Cheers

Liam

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Tow bar wiring probably tapped into rear cluster, follow wire and remove it at the source.

BG DCI
Tow bar wiring probably tapped into rear cluster, follow wire and remove it at the source.

Yeah it is! I followed it back there and it was a bit of a mess!! I would of liked to just remove it but it’s been bodged in by the looks of it...

Might have to spend some time in daylight looking at the wiring that comes from down the car to the cluster originally and then what someone’s done with this towbar!

BG DCI
Tried to find out some info on the sport interior when fitting it to a 5 door.

I’m guessing that none of the door cards will fit due to the 3 door doors being larger and obviously there being no rear doors...

The carpet? Or is the floor plan different?

So I would only be able to fit the front seats, rear bench and upright?

TIA

Liam

BG DCI
Picked up this spare wheel this evening though with a almost new tyre...

eb170f4e6b9aacc0331fd7cf666da7d5.jpg

Typical when you go in the boot and there is nothing in the spare wheel well.

Not sure what Renault model it was from but it will do for £15 to sit in there.

BG DCI
So the collecting of bits continues:

Heater Panel in the car currently

9a7a6058033c435e77182ee6c9bb8f81.jpg

And the second hand one for £15

0ba328f72af536c9a18a433c2caadc6a.jpg

Then was my front brake situation. The discs and pads arrived from @Mazz in a Maserati box [emoji6] thanks again to him!

2ed59168d1b3b5951ca5bc6ad39fdc97.jpg

And I cleaned out the scuttle drains, which were pretty good to be honest. (Makes me think someone has looked after this car as my last ones were awful)

Will get the brakes changed and it MOT’d

Then try to work out why all 4 tyres (which are basically new) are leaking air slowly...

That spare wheel you got is an Equation style rim from Privilege trim clios, I've seen them on mk1 meganes as well.

Tires leaking could be corrosion or tire residue on the beads, quite common on cheap cars.

It's a visit to the tire garage im afraid, as you have to pop the beads, grind off whatever is causing the beads to not seal and maybe even a quick lick of bead sealer.

BG DCI
So, the car went through it’s MOT after fitting the front discs and pads!

Advisories were a front tyre was getting low and a wiper blade! Spot on for £420...

Swapped out the boot lock solenoid as the boot wasn’t locking with the car...

15fa098a0f665cac2f6d502e3cac735a.jpg

8290e8ed38968de8da5981b5000482d7.jpg

Did the trick and was an easy swap!

Then started tackling removing the interior (as it was MOT’d and didn’t have to move anywhere for a while as I collated the final bits).

As all my Clios, the bolts that go into the chassis rust from the underside and so are a pain to get out! The Isofix bar first, then the central rear upright bracket bolts.

They have a star head and you struggle to get any real angle to turn it due to the bracket. One I managed, then the second head rounded.

394ae3a3cbf6c28187a11804e490ea6f.jpg

Ended up angle grinding the seats away from the brackets (in frustration) then attempted to molegrip the head and get the last one out. Pain in the a** being a rusted old bolt anyway, let alone trying to use the grips but got there eventually and it’s slowly all coming out.

Few more bits to collect this week hopefully for the interior. Then a weekend of fitting it out.

Still after a replacement for this... dunno if there’s a genuine original on eBay or something? I’m not even sure what it looked like...

d0ea712fdd29a3f1df935f3a402bf8e0.jpg

BG DCI
Still making progress removing all the interior... minus the one bolt that’s still stuck in...

Cleaned all the carpets and seatbelts at the weekend I’d collated:

Before starting:

a34bba0b286d0b54fab6f2ac24a1832b.jpg

During for the seatbelts:

0bb3d2cb090c4dd7e2230a7ffc4728f2.jpg

And here she is on the drive:

236b8e854fddadff8860b7e74a030565.jpg

Still feeling the love just time collecting parts and time to sort them out! Working towards getting her ready to be a nice daily drive but don’t want to go full time with it till it’s ‘acceptable’.

Once the interior is all sorted and the tyres fixed, I’ll start using it daily and add some more miles to the 137,000.

After a Cigarette lighter unit and a gear knob insert right now incase anyone reading has one spare!

BG DCI
A little bit of weekend time and a day off today saw some more progress being made.

It’s amazing what a different car it feels like with clean and smart interior swapped.

I’ve been cleaning EVERYTHING with either upholstery cleaner or anti bacterial wipes lol! But it does make it feel so much nicer to be in!

From this:

f3277a7d9cf85ef5ee77c24711f817d8.jpg

To:

b24987f0a499174bd8bf2e4ea7a904fb.jpg

Front seats only this left to fit now! (And the annoying central nuts near)

Also changed my heater control panel which was awful!

b4d43cd3a1348a7f1a0cd8ed1de11b39.jpg

And the new one plus my aux which I did at the same time it was all out!

fe7f6c2fb707c57e4dc55d029dcfc880.jpg

Have Friday off so hopefully will get the front seats done and also my 172 wheel fitted, then it’s just 3 new tyres and she’ll be good to run as the daily!

Cheers for reading

Liam

BG DCI
So, to keep updating this for myself! (I guessed a 5 door dci wouldn’t be that appealing)

Changed the steering wheel today to my 172 one! Was actually a doddle. Followed the guide on here and took all of 15 minutes! Another big improvement!

Old: stick and dirty no matter what you did to clean it.

4881889bf41f59c357d4df11a1c6496d.jpg

New: decent thumb grips and in pretty minty condition!

1b38ca821b800625233d0016ed180544.jpg

Annoyingly the 182 seatbelts don’t attach to the car like my dci ones so I’ve got a set of useless 182 belts all cleaned up.

My dci ones had a metal clip on the end of the belt but the 182 ones don’t have anything. What am I missing to attach them?

BG DCI
More progress:

Sorted my cigarette lighter unit so that’s now working and fitted the most of the sport interior. Temporary gear knob insert:

293b9af61324a41aeaa7fcaf10f5ffee.jpg

And these arrived:

abfb9b3c91e98fc4d9227af55b3a2ae7.jpg

4 182 wheels with almost new tyres, £100.

There’s bargains out there for these daily’s.

All that’s really left now is probably some springs just to sit it a bit nicer on these wheels for now then get it on the road and use it.

Any recommendations for springs? Can you fit 1*2 ones? Or is there not much ride height difference?

Cheers for reading

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Looks well, mine is on cliosport eibach sportline too and drives great. Bang some cup rear shocks on if not already fitted, makes quite a difference.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
They look spot on fellas!! And rear shocks yeah? Not fronts?

Rear cup shocks go straight on, cant get away with fronts sadly. Mine is on sachs oem replacement on the front as originals were knackered, seem ok for road use.

BG DCI
Rear cup shocks go straight on, cant get away with fronts sadly. Mine is on sachs oem replacement on the front as originals were knackered, seem ok for road use.

Super thanks buddy!! Are the 172 cup rear shocks the same as the 182 cup pack ones?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Super thanks buddy!! Are the 172 cup rear shocks the same as the 182 cup pack ones?

Not much difference from memory, mine are 172cup. They are a few mm shorter than the dci shocks so stops any chance of springs falling out.

BG DCI
Not much difference from memory, mine are 172cup. They are a few mm shorter than the dci shocks so stops any chance of springs falling out.

Thanks mate!!

New wheels seem a right fit...

They’re just 16” 182 wheels

a3539ad9095ba2ddd9231e1faaac6e76.jpg

Do they foul at all on the bottom of the spring cup when in use?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I had 16" on and it wont foul there as the suspension travel is in the shock not in the wheel+shock ;)

The wheel and shocker move as one unit essentially

EDIT: Unless the tyres are a 50 profile on the sidewall. Then they'll definitely rub without spacers