ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Clio 172 ph2 from Russia

Clio 172 ph2
Come to London to get a new Racing Exhaust Manifold:
8d97c28bc8ee.jpg

Flame Red (172)
That's great job dude....

What ecu you'r using?....where did u program it?

Yes, it is very good with high lift camsshafts too! Here are my most current engine spec:

Engine:
---------
JMS RS2 Inlet Manifold
CNC-machined cylinder head
CatCams (304/304° - 12.45/12.45mm) with adjustable vernier pulleys
CatCams uprated springs (single)
Supertech valves
Solid lifters
H-beam forged con rods with ARP bolts and ACL bearings
Clio 197 pistons (give 12.5:1 when installed with Clio 172 head)
Megane 225 injectors @ Jenvey steel fuel rail
ARP main and head bolts
Kent competition cam belt
Athena Racing MLS gasket
Pure Motorsport AirCon and PAS removal kit

Transmission:
-----
TTV Racing ultralight flywheel and Helix 184mm clutch
JC5-129 gearbox with Gripper LSD (30/65 ramp angle and 4.33 main gear)
Ceramic coated synchronizer rings for 3-5 gears

You came all the way here just to get the manifold?? Proper commitment but why didn't you just get it shipped? Not as if you can carry it on the plane with you to save it being damaged.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
You came all the way here just to get the manifold?? Proper commitment but why didn't you just get it shipped? Not as if you can carry it on the plane with you to save it being damaged.
I think he was over here working... and also used the opportunity to pick up the manifold. :) Or the other way round.

PB172,dci100,dci65
Great thread, good progress are you doing.
Really impressive manifold with a huge exhaust diameter.

Just out of interest, where do you have your rev limiter set to, how many rpms?

Clio 172 ph2
Why would you want to run your engine colder than 90 degrees?

It is never low then 90 degree - it is really more ... I have AIM MXL Pista dash with thelemetry to check this ...

The summers are very hot there - and as before I simply remove the thermostat at all at the end of May and and return it back at the beginning of September.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It is never low then 90 degree - it is really more ... I have AIM MXL Pista dash with thelemetry to check this ...

The summers are very hot there - and as before I simply remove the thermostat at all at the end of May and and return it back at the beginning of September.

But if its over 90 anyway, then that means the thermostat was open anyway, so what difference will it make with a different thermostat open instead?
Surely you need a better rad if temps are proving hard to control?

Clio 172 ph2
Ha-ha!!!! Make some small reserch and found that ... Clio 197 has 75°C thermostat!!! It is same dimensions and fit Clio 172 very good.

P/n is

Aftermarket are: Vernet 6047.75/J and Gates TH45975G1 - both are 75°C too and 2-3 times cheaper ther Renault "original" :)

Clio 172 ph2
But if its over 90 anyway, then that means the thermostat was open anyway, so what difference will it make with a different thermostat open instead?
Surely you need a better rad if temps are proving hard to control?

This is specific for competitions I take part in. It is "timeattack": 3-4 laps and the best one goes as result. And the "normal" temp in July is 35 degrees (in shadow).

And yes, I have good PWR Performane rad with big Spal cooler (I have two Spals: one is thin and light, but less aiflow and second is thick and heavy for July-August).

06cd12432432.jpg

cc20499309e5.jpg

816ec7db16d8.jpg

Clio 172 ph2
Got new conrods for my next engine build. The top one is Woessner, standard 144mm centre-to-centre length, while the new one is "+4mm" - i.e. 148mm. And new one is for 18mm wrist pin.

4685d2e1d51d.jpg

Clio 172 ph2
Little bit more length on the rod should really help at the top of the rev range :)

Yes, and I hope to expand the torque too ...There are not only length but the weight issue - the small conrod end, wrist pin and the piston will be much lighter then now!!!

Tool Steel wrist pins - 18mm x .115" (2.9mm) walls x 2.470" (62.75mm) - weight is 63g. Will need to cut them to ~40mm length and it will be ~40g. The lightest Woessner wrist pin for standard pistons is 78g!!!

58ea9c6e3e0c.jpg

Clio 172 ph2
Very nice, should rev well. Will you lighten the crank? 197/200 crank is 1.5kg lighter.

Not yet. The used are very rare here, in Russia - and the new one is too expensive :( For current setup I can easily found a used crank (or engine bottom) from any F4R engine (Megane, Scenic, Laguna) as there are a lot of such cars at the local market. But only 30-40 Clios 197/200 was sold in Russia.

And is the 197/200 crank steel or iron?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Interested in what gains you get when fitting the new PM exhaust manifold. When you fitting and getting remapped?

Clio 172 ph2
Interested in what gains you get when fitting the new PM exhaust manifold. When you fitting and getting remapped?

I hope it will be fitted today or tomorrow as soon as we have the trackday at Sunday. The s**t is the Aeroflot lost the box with the exhaust on my way back to Moscow and they found it only yesterday. So I will be able to remap it only on the next week (the dyno doesn't work at weekends).

Clio 172 ph2
One more idea about the crank preparation. I do not remember where I got it, but somebody post the difference between the crank at standard Clio 197:

bf2ed420c417.jpg

And Clio R.S. R3:

6ee08e42d1a8.jpg

Any comments?

Clio 172 ph2
Its iron mate. I'm the person that weighed the 197 crank. I can possibly get another one if your interested? Not sure how much postage would be to Russia though! :S

Upsss. As far as I remember - Clio 197 has different flywheel bolts mount, So I will be unable to use my Clio 172 flywheel?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
IIRC they are the same, the only difference is the shape/size of the flywheels due to different clutches. So what you have now will fit a 197/200 crank.