ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of oversteer from the Clio 172 cup the other night + Video of the action

BMW 130i
Driving through Liverpool City Centre on Sunday night and at about 35-40mph she oversteered mid bend. Not even like the rear was light at the time, had the spare gearbox and a lot of tools in the boot. Certainly is twitchy at the rear.

Video for you to enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I imagine the weight of the box in the boot and the road conditions are what added to the rear end coming out they probably moved in the boot as you turned shifting the weight distribution, glad you corrected it though, could've been messy especially as thats quite a busy road as well

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I could never get my 172 or 182 rear end to oversteer in the years I had them, solid as a rock, apart from one corner at silver stone.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is it wrong that i used to drive the Trophy around with 1 knackered rear damper, 3 ton of tools in the boot & whiteline set to 'f*cking stiff' all the time just to get this wonderful effect?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Is it wrong that i used to drive the Trophy around with 1 knackered rear damper, 3 ton of tools in the boot & whiteline set to 'f*cking stiff' all the time just to get this wonderful effect?

Ha not at all! Its a great feeling!

clio 182 sport
i get my 182 to oversteer all the time in the wet on round abouts or big corners will be sure to get a vid soon ....

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

You bought a trophy and purposely made it handle crap that is very wrong.

Got to love a bit of oversteer as long as there no curbs about that is anyway.

I only ever get oversteer if I lift of mid bend in the wet.

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330ci Sport
Driving through Liverpool City Centre on Sunday night and at about 35-40mph she oversteered mid bend. Not even like the rear was light at the time, had the spare gearbox and a lot of tools in the boot. Certainly is twitchy at the rear.

Please lets learn physics. Weight in the back will only serve to increase the chance of oversteer. Once the back gets momentum from going round the corner, you straightening up will cause the back to continue on the path it has gained momentum in. Thus leading to oversteer. Lack of grip (wet road) will help the back to continue on said path. Also weight shift through lifting of mid corner will get the desired affect.

You controlled it well, good driving. I got some over steer in my 1.25 Fiesta going round a roundabout last weekend. Loads of fun.

Clio 182
Had the same brown pants moment yesterday. Bit of understeer into a roundabout, lifted off too much and went into a oversteer skid. Managed to save it though. Was giggling to myself like a little girl after I'd done it though.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
You said "to get this wonderful effect" I guess by this you mean similar to the car from the OP.

Mild over steer isn't a bad thing and I never said it was but a car with a knackered shock and 3 tons of tools in the boot is not a good handling car, interesting and fun maybe but not good handling.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You never driven a 911 i assume? Where all the weight is out over the back wheels?

Tbh, the clio is fun whether its working perfectly well or knackered. The Trophy does suffer from understeer on the limit, so with additional weight in the boot and/or more camber on the front/stiffer rear end you do tend to make the rearend more active. This in turns quells the understeer.

You can either do it properly, or you can do it ghetto stylee, either way is good. And a wonderful effect. Imho.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Nope but I imagine they are meant to have completely different handling characteristics anyway.

I agree mate I've had both working and non working suspension for clios and its always been fun either way. Was only having a crack about the trophy thing anyway lol entirely up to you how you want your car to handle.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
That was a brown pants moment? Unexpected yes but hardly an out of control situation.

Out of all the cliosports I find the 172cup the most willing to slide from the rear.

Z4
I often found my cup a little bit twitchy, lift off oversteer gave me a brown seat a few times.

Never got any in the 182, that handled well on the Ktec coilovers tbh!

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Mine does this (but never that slow and only off throttle) and I know that one of the shocks has a slight leak. I'd have a good look around because it let go at such a low speed.

Love it :approve:

My Cup was just like this, any time, any place. My 200's not the same, but it does respond if you manhandle it or left-foot-brake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iujU7EM_ik

Grrrr...can't embed.

As soon as I saw the OP I thought of that exact video. Funnily enough I had a similar experience but at 60mph on a single carriageway. And like you, and the OP WE ALL SAID "fcking hell" almost immediately afterwards lol

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
i've lost my back end twice, both in the wet, once driving abit to quick the other i wasnt but its was just after i go the car and the rear tyres were budgets lol safe to say they were changed that week!

BMW 130i
Idiotic driving, drive to the road conditions. Ban him. Chav.

Haha, 35mph on that corner is in no way fast, your a fool. In fact I was driving to the road conditions having reduced the speed I would typically take that corner at, having gone around that corner dozens of times within the last 4 years its not exactly new or unfamilar.

"Chav", you have to be joking me now. Probably as far away from the definition of "Chav" as you can get. If I was a "Chav" id be uploading videos of me with baking trays under the rear tyres doing "drifiting" in ASDA carpark ;).

BMW 130i
Please lets learn physics. Weight in the back will only serve to increase the chance of oversteer. Once the back gets momentum from going round the corner, you straightening up will cause the back to continue on the path it has gained momentum in. Thus leading to oversteer. Lack of grip (wet road) will help the back to continue on said path. Also weight shift through lifting of mid corner will get the desired affect.

Probably should have considered the Physics a bit more considering I'm a student Engineer and all. Had only considered mechanical grip with extra weight being proportional to mechanical grip, whoops.

Running her on Summer tyres isn't the best choice either really, any opinions on Winter Tyres on the Clio? Had been looking a few months back and never got around to actually buying them and changing over.

Clio 172
I got my I.2 fiesta hire car to step out nicely round a bend in the wet today; was an amazing feeling!