ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bit of advice on finance?

172 Cup
Ok so im thinking of getting a 200, however i know most finance options are 3-5 years or something. What happens if i decide that I want to sell it after a year? I know il still have to pay the finance because obviously i have not payed for the car? Can i transfer it to another car? or can i sell it, get the cash, give it to the finance company? Or once i get it for 3-5 years, do i have to keep it for 3-5 years?

Noj

Jaguar S-Type Sport
don't bother with finance you'll only regret it. use the old simple rule if you can't afford don't buy it.

a burnt one
You can sell it whenever you like but will have to pay off the balance of the finance, it's unlikely anyone will buy it privately with finance outstanding, just make sure you sell it for more than the remaining balance.

If you trade it in for something else and want the finance transferred be carefull as i've heard many horror stories about garages not actually doing it and then people being hounded for money.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think you can hand it back after half the period you've had the car or half the amount is paid, same thing really.

I think you can sell it aslong as you agree to pay the finance off.

Think about it as you wouldn't get as much when selling the car to pay off the finance.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Chances are you will have negative equity as well after a year, so you won't get any cash in your hand from a sale.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If you use your brain and chose wisely, finance is not all doom and gloom.

172 Cup
its not that i want finance but to be honest, not many people have 15k+ cash to put on a car, i need to save for a house deposit still, yes im earning an alright wage now but as long as i have a good job, im sure the finance is just another "bill" right? I have been warned, trust me, but what im saying is it is just sometimes not practical to buy now cash!

Focus ST
If you're earning a good wage i'd be sticking money aside for a few month... see just how much you can afford you can stick away and still live the lifestyle you have?

Id be sticking with what you have then putting money away till you can buy a better motor outright

a burnt one
its not that i want finance but to be honest, not many people have 15k+ cash to put on a car, i need to save for a house deposit still, yes im earning an alright wage now but as long as i have a good job, im sure the finance is just another "bill" right? I have been warned, trust me, but what im saying is it is just sometimes not practical to buy now cash!

The ones that do have 15k + to put on a car dont usually need finance, its called living within your means and spending accordingly.

Maybe your sights should be set a little lower.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You can sell it whenever you like but will have to pay off the balance of the finance, it's unlikely anyone will buy it privately with finance outstanding, just make sure you sell it for more than the remaining balance.

If you trade it in for something else and want the finance transferred be carefull as i've heard many horror stories about garages not actually doing it and then people being hounded for money.

This in theory would be a great idea, however you only have to look now at the cost of 197's to see where residual values are going, ill give you a clue, its not up the way :eek:

a burnt one
This in theory would be a great idea, however you only have to look now at the cost of 197's to see where residual values are going, ill give you a clue, its not up the way :eek:

Aye i know, selling a car on finance even if you are lucky to have 0% means you will be lucky to have any cash to yourself after the sale.

Was just stressing that he could sell it but is pointless unless he is willing to accept the loss or is lucky enough to beat the finance companies at their own game.

Mini Cooper S
Get a bank loan, much less hassle and its not attached to the car. Also you can choose the finance over whatever period you like; 1, 2, 3 years etc.

Get a bank loan, much less hassle and its not attached to the car. Also you can choose the finance over whatever period you like; 1, 2, 3 years etc.

Depends on loads of things. The misses was after a mini and the BMW finance was a lot cheaper than a personal loan. She also chose the term length etc..

Mini Cooper S
Of course, every situation is different. Just depends if he wants the loan tied down to the car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This might sound daft but what about buying a car with a credit card?

Alot of decent rates plus side meaning you can pay higher amounts each month when you are better off one month to the next, also there is insurance on the credit card if the car isnt fit for purpose (I.e a snapped cambelt or engine failure) it then becomes the credit cards company and you get away scot free...

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
This might sound daft but what about buying a car with a credit card?

Alot of decent rates plus side meaning you can pay higher amounts each month when you are better off one month to the next, also there is insurance on the credit card if the car isnt fit for purpose (I.e a snapped cambelt or engine failure) it then becomes the credit cards company and you get away scot free...

Surely can't be as easy as that! Be interesting to find out though!

Depends on loads of things. The misses was after a mini and the BMW finance was a lot cheaper than a personal loan. She also chose the term length etc..
Did she pay asking price for the car? Typcially low finance means they will not budge on price. If you are going in with your own money they are usually more flexible.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Advantages:
  • Free, short-term credit - as long as you always pay your balance in full by the due date shown on your statement.
  • Credit cards offer a safe and convenient way to pay for goods and services both in the UK and abroad, particularly if you are purchasing over the internet, phone or by mail order.
  • Purchase protection - under Section 75 of the 1974 Consumer Credit Act card issuers and retailers take joint responsibility for faulty purchases, If you pay for something with a credit card, valued between £100 and £30,000, that turns out to be faulty or which you do not receive because the company goes bust, you can claim a refund from the card provider.
  • Protection against fraud — if you are the innocent victim of fraud you will not be expected to pay if a criminal uses your card.
  • Incentives for using a card such as loyalty points and cash back, or payments to support a charity.

If you bought a washing machine and it broke because it was unfit for purpose whats the difference between doing it with that and a car?

I may be wrong but from the fine print it looks to be so.

In the sense that its unfit you would claim the money back from the credit provider not the car dealer i.e Renault in this case. The credit provider would then chase Renault, leaving you happy in your new Honda lol...

If you have the credit rating and can afford to pay off the loan quickly then its an option, dangerous one but possible. Couple of interest free cards, pay off as much as possible first year, balance transfer at the end of the year

Lotus Exige, 182
Should be a no brainer then! Why do people still buy using dealer finance when this is the case?!?

Credit card interest is currently at about 18.9%APR, and the 0% on new purchase offers only last a few months. Also, most credit card companies won't give you a 20k credit limit!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Should be a no brainer then! Why do people still buy using dealer finance when this is the case?!?

If you have the credit rating and can afford to pay off the loan quickly then its an option, dangerous one but possible. Couple of interest free cards, pay off as much as possible first year, balance transfer at the end of the year

On the money there mate, exactly these reasons. Finance companies will give money to whoever looks in there direction, even more so if you have tits and a pulse

Lotus Exige, 182
MJ - Not saying it isn't, if you have to buy something on finance you can't afford it. I think the APR is less than on credit cards though. the main point is that they won't give you a 20k credit limit - well unless you earn well over 150k per year anyway!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Ah right, so it's not a feasable option then. Thanks for clearing this all up.

However I do disagree with the 'can't afford it' statements. As long as the payments are manageable and you don't mind paying back X amount extra then it's fine.

If that applied to everything then nobody would have anything. Take mortgages for example.

Lotus Exige, 182

However I do disagree with the 'can't afford it' statements. As long as the payments are manageable and you don't mind paying back X amount extra then it's fine.

If that applied to everything then nobody would have anything. Take mortgages for example.

It's a little bit different with a house though, you hope that it is an appreciating asset and you get some money out at the end of the mortgage term. You also have somewhere to live!

Whereas, a new car is a depreciating asset. As soon as you drive it off the forecourt, you lose 17.5%! As you say, if you intend to keep it until the end of the term, and can afford the payments, then why not get it on finance. If you're going to sell the car halfway through tho, you'll end up not getting enough money back to cover the amount you owe.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What about handing it back after half the period?

Almost like renting essentially. Similar to selling to clear off the finance except you won't be left out of pocket.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Leasing Gally?

They are very picky for scratches and dents and so on, you would worry about leaving it parked anywwhere in the last 3 months of ownership :(

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

If you got a high enough credit limit, you could just do a balance transfer to another card after your 0% is up on new purchases. 0% on balance transfers is typically a lot longer than on new purchases. You will probably have something like a 2.5% handling fee though.

It's a little bit different with a house though, you hope that it is an appreciating asset and you get some money out at the end of the mortgage term. You also have somewhere to live!

Whereas, a new car is a depreciating asset. As soon as you drive it off the forecourt, you lose 17.5%! As you say, if you intend to keep it until the end of the term, and can afford the payments, then why not get it on finance. If you're going to sell the car halfway through tho, you'll end up not getting enough money back to cover the amount you owe.

That's a very black and White way of looking at it. As long as you put down a decent deposit (which most places need anyways) you'll only finance say 70% of the car.. If you finance 100% of it, then yes you will most likely end up in negative equity..

Just be sensible with it. Don't over commit yourself, and don't finance the full value.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

Almost like renting essentially. Similar to selling to clear off the finance except you won't be left out of pocket.

Assuming you don't exceed the agreed mileage limit. If you do, you will pay for every mile over.

Leasing Gally?

They are very picky for scratches and dents and so on, you would worry about leaving it parked anywwhere in the last 3 months of ownership :(

He's not talking about leasing. He's just saying after the period hand it back.. They'll clear the balance.

Lotus Exige, 182

I wouldn't have a problem with doing that if the contract permitted it. Would have to read the terms carefully though before signing - and check if you had to pay the finance company a big fee to do so.

Personally, I've never bought a new car and I don't intend to do so, unless I win the lottery. Not worth it with the depreciation.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No i'm not. I had a clio on finance and in the agreement it said after half the balance or period was done I could hand the car back.

A bit like leasing but probably cheaper.

I did it with my clio no joke.

All companies do it. Ford offered me the same thing.

Salesman tipped me off about it by the way, I went to trade it in and he said wait until september and hand it back then we can go start afresh! :) He works beside my dad so wasn't out on the rob.