ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big engined clio’s aint all that...

BMW 320d Sport

Well you said it Wongy old pal. Couldnt agree more.

And Id say those times are Scooby chasing to be honest. Modded ones are quick, but just for a laugh I went out on a test drive of a new WRX yesterday, bloody hell did I walk away disappointed or what? OK it pulls tidily when you put your foot down, but its NOTHING like as rapid as my Clio and Im still running in a new clutch so never more than half throttle allowed! Likewise the handlings good but I didnt get the feeling it could do anything my Clio couldnt. I wanted a go in the STi really but they didnt have any around. Needless to say I WONT be ordering a Scooby WRX any time soon!

Id of said plenty of companys have the balls to turbo a 172, but then the sort of developent costs mean nobodys going to buy it until they can get the cost down to a reasonable level - Its taken a long tiem for a sensible 16v kit to appear, so its going to be longer for the 172 turbo kit to make a appearance retail.

VTSs are similar performance to a 16v as standard, how many standard 16vs are about - not very many, whatever can be done to one car can be done to another, just that when someone does soemthing special with a clio it gets its own pages ina mag, not along side another 5 or 6 the same.

Theres so many saxos that bits fore them are enevitably cheaper and thereforemore people are doing stuff - simple isnt it.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by wongy008 on 22 June 2003

dogmaul

well i did not mention money i mentioned speed. and if its not ur thing then thats ok with me. i was just stating that clios were represented there then we would of not done very well.

ive lost interest in my clio but hey i still want to see some fast clios putting in wicked times

the maturity thing, well going from the way some people say things on here i would not say most clios owners are mature. i would say its quite the opposite really

172 been around for 3 years now since the mk1 so its not exactly a new car it is.

teady

well if more 172/cup owners got off there backside and do things then we may get recognition. there are a few places like hill power. prima and k tec and even bb tunnin so tunners are there but its getting people to do things
Im not against modding but my car is 3 months old with 2000 miles on it and so far *touch wood* its been perfect in every way. So IMO if it aint broke dont try to fix it! (plus Its costing me enough of my pennies to buy and run)

dont get me wrong. ...when it needs a new exhaust or something I wont be replacing with standard stuff but while its all so new its a bit pointless really.....and theres the warranty issue.

Also like other poeple have said already there arent that many proven mods yet for the 172. When there are some mods that give a good increase in power for the amount of money spent Im sure plenty of 172 owners will start modding

point i was trying to make was for every mod to a say a VTS theres the same probable been done to a 16v, cup etc...

When i bought my 16v i looked at a few different cars, one of which was a vts, and a vtr (aghhh) the vts was quick, but there was something going on with those pedals and i was bloody tiny. cheap as chips though.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Doubt its any smaller than a Clio 16v, theyre loosley based on the R5 floorpan aint they?? Agree not much legroom for rear passengers, but look at the size of the boot;)

haha ill read this tom morning

but hey yes nick gotts some balls to do what hes done to the clio. hes tried persuading me many times before and i knwo when to stop but hats off to nick, his turbo nut case car is the only one in this club that i know that can pull of a 0-100 in 13 secs and yes hes spend money on it but its unique and and awesome those who aint seen it in the flesh,that the whole point of modding in my book. mod to improve,why settle form what u have already, how boring would this world be if everyone just sat there and did nothing, not ask and wonder how to improve thing, those saxo/ gti put in mental times and i think its great

and what about red 16 and his home made turbom conversion,. frankenstein mk2, when this club first started he was one of the first to do a megane 2.0 16v conversion at home b y himself now look at what hes attempting

be it pay someone to do it or save some money and DIY, i wanna see some fast as feck clios

i spent 2k tunning my engine but as have many other 16v/ willy and rt owners but i have yet to still see some one with a 172 with the balls to mod there car. a lots have touched on suspension, zorst filter and chip but no one as yet has gone any further. theres noz turbo supr charge. TBs cam and head route

come on lets see some real rapid clio 172.why settle for 0-100 in 16 or so secs when u can try and aim for 13 secs

Trust me its alot smaller unless i have a big clio or the saxo was a pixie edition! Dont think its nay big secret the saxos are tiny inside and the pedals are dodgy!!!

I will check with one of the 200 i see on the way to work in the morning;)

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Fine and dandy, but people often ask, why so fast with only 120BHP??

The answer: Its no bigger or heavier than it needs to be;)

Dont worry guys, the TBs for 172s are on their way, if everyone keeps their fingers crossed itll be making it to York and hopefully making a good time (if I can get myself upto speed LoL)

The kit will be hopefully available a month or two after, itll be posted when it is.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Lol. hehehehe I know.

Mine looks completely standard, theres some funny looking examples knocking about, and when I see one I just think "Oh god, that poor f**ker"

The image that goes with owning a saxo is not to be desired, but hey its cheap, light and easilly modded, so I dont really care.

Dont worry Wongy mine should be Scooby chasing soon enough, but I see what your saying, I have had to go the GTT route as there is not enough stuff available for the Clios without spending alot of cash, but I reckon in a few months you will see some big powered Clios about as more of the BB conversions will be about and also some of the Clio GTTs are starting to hit big BHP levels.

hehe

marcus think ya cheaqting but hey its is the cheapest way to go forced induction and have masses and masses of parts available

what spec u getting urs built to

TD172 the MK2 Saxo is basically the same car as the mk1 they just changed the front end, so it will still perform sh*te in a crash! No offence to anyone who owns a Saxo (and I was one a couple of years ago) but I hate the cars and am personally glad they have stopped making it. I much prefer my Clio but even then they are riddled with faults, my next car is going to be a new Mini or Beetle as I want a funky, fun car, as for speed who cares, unless you are going to track days and stuff, my 1.216v is plenty nippy enough for most day2day driving

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Hmmm, so the invisible pixies put my 4 airbags in then.

In changing the front end, they introduced a less rigid shape that would absorb energy and crumple.

I have 4 airbags in my Clio too, as for the front end it may have better crumple zones but how much will the passenger compartment deform in a crash like the one on topgear? The Clio is a 4 star car whilst the Saxo is only 2, regardless of whether its a mk1 or 2 structurally they are virtually the same so will both perform badly in a crash

Agree with Neil - anybody can tune a turd to hit sub 6 secs - if we tuned our cups/172s with all that wed be hitting 5 secs! Its not rocket science! look at how the Nitrous fitted to Top Gears striped out Jag absolutely wasted the worlds fastest supercar! Impressive times all the same - especially the 100 MPH one - thatll be the 2 stage prog NOS system then!

Quote: Originally posted by wongy008 on 23 June 2003

hehe

marcus think ya cheaqting but hey its is the cheapest way to go forced induction and have masses and masses of parts available

what spec u getting urs built to

Sort of cheating!!

Going for a full re-build uprating everthing possibile on the way, then going for front mount intercooler, with seperate front mounted oil cooler, sort out the cooling in advance with new rad, stat etc and then the ususal uprated clutch etc, full hose set, full throttle shift and a few more goodies along the way!!

BMW 320d Sport

LOL RSTDL I didnt see what Neil said, but I think youre getting a bit over-excited :Dsaying you can tune any old turd to hit sub 6 seconds (0-60 I assume?)

If you delve into it properly and *do* the mods, *try* stuff out, youd see that it is not that simple. At least not in a Clio or any front wheel drive hatch. But then thats the whole point as far as I see it - to make a fwd hot hatch hotter than 4wd saloons packing 250bhp+ out of the factory. AFAIK Roamers the only 172 owner who is getting serious about mods with the TB project in the works right now. I know theres a few crazy stories of 172s in other countries with wacko mods and very quick times, but I dont know those cars or their drivers so cant really comment. But Bens (Red 16) Clio is one I am watching with great interest too ...

Oh and BTW the Saxo is shockingly cramped inside. Im not that tall but I felt really squashed in the one time I went for a test drive in a VTS when they first came out. The dashboard seemed to be really bulbous sticking out into the only bit of elbow room I had in there. Not that I dont like small cars, just that the Saxo is far TOO small for my purposes. Nothing against it as a car, theyre nice chuckable motors by all accounts.