ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big end bearing & Reground crank

FF Clio 182
As far as I am aware my 182 engine has spun a big end shell. Getting a new engine put in next week so all good.

I have decided to keep the old engine and rebuild it as a spare (Might make a forged build), Getting to the point as far as the crank is concerned is it worth buying a new one or getting the originals reground? If I get it reground where about's can I buy oversized shell bearings or just standard shells? I see they do some on KTEC but I was just after a standard set, I have looked on a couple of sites quickly but could find some for every engine bar the F4R.

Thanks

If you send me a pm I can price this for you I have all the machines to grind the cranks in house and can supply bearings I'm in thanet so would need the crank either sending down or you could deliver them

Cheers Luke

Just looked can grind the crank for £120 and bearings go up to. 25 so would need to see the crank to make sire it can be saved

Luke

Ph1
Strip the engine down and take the crank and pistons to a machine shop to be measured. They will tell you what size of shells you need with in factory tolerance or if the crack etc is too far gone

FF Clio 182
£120 to be reground, how much are they new or can't you buy a second has one but I suppose the crank wouldn't marry up to the new shells ?

You can buy new if you want or even a good second hand one. I can get prices for you but it is normally best to grind your own

I'll grab a price for New crank and New shells. Yes you can but need to measure the second hand crank and buy shells to suit it might have been ground in the past

If your not to far pop it to us if not could always send it along would be able to yell you pretty quick if it's no good

If they have not lasted for you something must be done wrong if machined properly and built well then they will last longer than the car

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I think that's going to be more down to not replacing oil pump after a big end failure. There's no good reason for a regrounbd crank not to work absolutely perfectly

That's weird cos we have done loads and all been perfect if done properly and machined well they will be fine.

F4r inside is the same as any other engine there is no reason it should knock out a crank after grinding. How do you think New ones are made?