ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you carry some glass cleaner & a rag with you from now on [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I basically need one for my windscreen as the wipers are shite.

Get some G1/G5 on the rear windscreen. It's amazing how well it repels not only water but dirt as well compared to a window with nothing on it.

I've put some wax on for now, but will definitely look into some of that.

Clio 182 - RB
I've put Rain X on my rear window, doesn't do much, unfortunately ☹️ Get some Bosch ones from eBay, great wipers!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've put Rain X on my rear window, doesn't do much, unfortunately ☹️ Get some Bosch ones from eBay, great wipers!

Going to order some tonight, they're like £16 i think. Had them on my 1.2, were great!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Get some G1/G5 on the rear windscreen. It's amazing how well it repels not only water but dirt as well compared to a window with nothing on it.
This x10000

It's unreal how stressed my journey can be this time of year driving the lupo without it on. I usually put it on my cars so I've never actually driven a car without it and the difference is astonishing.

Like ethanol said, it's not so much the rain that works well at but the dirt thing is unbelievable. Going to stick some on when I get a spare minute.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Is it costly stuff this C1/C5? I've never looked into the prices but heard nothing but good reviews. I bought C4 a few years back and it was about £30 for a tiny bottle I didn't think it would go far but it did all the black plastics with some spare and lasted ages.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Is it costly stuff this C1/C5? I've never looked into the prices but heard nothing but good reviews. I bought C4 a few years back and it was about £30 for a tiny bottle I didn't think it would go far but it did all the black plastics with some spare and lasted ages.

G1 one is a tiny bottle and is quite pricey but it does last a hell of a long time.

G5 is a bigger bottle, is less fussy to apply but doesn't last as long.

I went for G5 on mine, I'd definitely recommend. Even on the side windows it's brilliant as it beads rather than 'blotting' like an unsealed window does meaning it's 100 times easier to see out of.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Went for a little spirited drive today through to saddleworth. Still getting used to this photo/photo editing lark so don't be too harsh! Wasn't able to get the car in the place I wanted as there was already another car parked in the pull in, but still nice views.
Trimmed down my KTR system today to better fit my battery cover as it was rubbing a fair bit. Much better now.
I am also booked in ready to go see Mick this friday for the belts doing. In the service book they're down as being done at R & S Engineering in 2010 so are well due. Who knows if they used the correct locking tools, but the car does seem to drive fine. Will see how well the timing has been done on friday. Spark plugs are on order too, so it's getting a full service, Belts/dephaser/spark plugs/oil/filter/pollen which should see me right for a while.

32572438766_e7b1a3b3f9_b.jpg
DSCN0257edit by Louis Walker, on Flickr

32612807685_ed0f4f1c7f_b.jpg
DSCN0259edit by Louis Walker, on Flickr

32490259751_ccecbfa18e_b.jpg
DSCN0260edit by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I aint had mine out for a fun run since our last Yorkshire meet. I must find somewhere local that's photogenic to sprint to occasionally. Where were they taken Louis?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I aint had mine out for a fun run since our last Yorkshire meet. I must find somewhere local that's photogenic to sprint to occasionally. Where were they taken Louis?
These were taken on Saddleworth road (A640) and I believe it's Deanhead reservoir in the background.
I drove down the A640 to Dowry Reservoir then doubled back on myself.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Replaced the pollen filter today. Quite clearly it's not been replaced in a long while! (Had 2008 written on the side of the filter, unless it was old stock).
Miles better now, and hopefully won't see any misting up of windows now this has been replaced.

20170201_133948.jpg

20170201_135459.jpg

The scuttle panel trim also wasn't sitting right, and had some black gum stuff underneath it so removed all this and put some double sided tape on it. Sits flush on the windscreen now without moving anywhere so another job done.

Next up I've done the obligatory sanding of the headlight/polishing. Only done by hand, but are noticeably better. Will get the DA on them in the summer.
Also on order is a new style Renaultsport badge for the back. I can't seem to stop spending.

20170201_151300.jpg
20170201_151307.jpg

Car is filthy now, but no point washing it as I'll be heading down the M1 on friday.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Pollen filter added to my service list for next month. Never thought to check mine before but I imagine it will be similar to yours. Headlight polish makes such a difference to the front end. Nice easy job with great results.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Pollen filter added to my service list for next month. Never thought to check mine before but I imagine it will be similar to yours. Headlight polish makes such a difference to the front end. Nice easy job with great results.
Yeah, it's a 5 minute job/£5 job so not exactly difficult to do. Hasn't solved my fogging inside though annoyingly so will have to look for any dampness getting in anywhere. Unless it just down to me being warm and the outside being cold.

Driven home for a few days, and I love the roads/views here. Some are just crap though near the farms, but otherwise they're lovely winding roads.
Annoyingly just dropped my Ipod as it slid out my pocket and smashed all the screen as I got out the car. Still works, just a smashed screen... Brilliant.

32650734565_885174134a_c.jpg
DSCN0262edit by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Can anyone give me any tips on photoediting, or links to decent guides?

Is the pollen filter easy to get to/change?
It's a 5 minute job. Pop off the scuttle on the offside (One screw, one clip and pull towards the front of the car) then remove the bolt holding the lid on the box of the pollen filter box. Then remove the old one. Takes a bit of bending/fiddling to refit a new one, but it's simple.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
My filter was like that, still didn't fix my misting up problem when I changed it last year mind.

Is the pollen filter easy to get to/change?

Well.........

Yeh it's a piece of piss mate, takes 5 mins. Unclip scuttle panel under windscreen on drivers side and you'll find a thin box going diagonal. Think it's got a few screws holding the top on, remove that, pull filter out, put new one in, job jobbed.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I used a genuine one also. Just make sure you put it in the right way.

There's an arrow on the filter and on the plastic at the side. Make sure they're pointing the same way.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks mate, ordered!

Edit: Just remembered, I think I had it changed by Rentech in a full service a year or two ago :( - owell!

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well today has been a busy day!
I drove down to Nottingham to visit @MicKPM in order to get the belts sorted properly as they're long overdue!
So glad I did as the timing was out by a fair bit, and there were tipex marks pretty much everywhere with the belt overtightened too... The idler also had a few splits in the back, which Mick told me I was lucky to have not fail!

Unfortunately the water pump was also leaking, and looks to have been doing it for a fair while as it's caused a slightly rusty subframe. It had the original fitted, so again, long overdue! Also had a big chunk out the side of the crank pulley (?) which seems to have been used for leverage at some point which was replaced with a good used one.
Oil and coolant replaced, and the filter also swapped for genuine after a crappy one had been fitted in the past.

Mick also kindly identified my ABS fault, and its solely down to the wrong ABS rings being fitted and thankfully no sensors down, so this will be rectified in due course after buying some new rings. Don't know why they did the job of replacing the rings, but then put the wrong ones on?!?!?

I am glad I took the time to travel down to Diamond motors to get the work done properly, and Mick went out of his way to make sure I knew everything that was going on with my car and any issues that he found. Genuine and a great bloke! Thanks mate! Wouldn't hesitate to take the car back to Mick if I have any other problems in the future.

I have a slight gearbox leak from the selector seal which I may eventually get sorted, but i'm unsure on how big a job this is? Might just keep an eye on the gearbox oil levels for the time being. I am also going to get hold of some arch liners to replace the non existant ones and sort out the blowing cat. Also got the cruise control switch to replace as it's not staying down when you press the button.

After having the belts/timing sorted I can honestly say the car feels so much nicer. It's less hesitant when setting off now, and just feels much better across the rev range. No more worries for 5 years too. :smile:

A few pictures, but not many as I was preserving my phone battery/ didn't want to get in the way too much. (Sorry about the quality too).

20170203_104257.jpg
20170203_105823.jpg
20170203_124616.jpg

Visited Dan after this to have a nosey at the Megaclio. Looks to be coming along nicely!

All for now, as my bank account slowly recovers :smile:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I genuinely think buying a 1*2 that needs belts doing at an appropriate price is the best way to go. Then you can be sure it's done by the right person an 100% be confident in the car. Sounds like you fixed some major issues, now you can enjoy it fully.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Noice, does it feel even nipper now the timing is done right?

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about that leak on the selector seal, think 99% of Clios have the same problem, mine included.
I've not had too much of a play yet around any nice roads, but putting my foot down to get onto the M1 was a lot better and I felt confident in planting my foot more without worrying about belts snapping. Good to know on the seal then, I'll just keep an eye on it, maybe clean it up a little so I can notice if it leaks anymore.

I genuinely think buying a 1*2 that needs belts doing at an appropriate price is the best way to go. Then you can be sure it's done by the right person an 100% be confident in the car. Sounds like you fixed some major issues, now you can enjoy it fully.

100% agree. I didn't know the belt history, but at the price I paid i was happy to get the belts sorted. I only have about 1.9k in this car now, which is great for a car with belts now done for 5 years and with only a few other little problems.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
After around a 3 hour round trip on the M1 I decided it best to give the clio a quick clean. Nothing special just a 2 bucket wash and rinse. The AG HD wax I used is my first experience with any wax, and it makes the car so much easier to clean! It's shining again now, and I didn't have to completely polish it. Might top up the wax tomorrow to make it easier when the black inevitable gets dirty...
Whilst I was at it i removed the existing clio badge, and replaced it with the new style RS badge which I had been meaning to do for a while. Got a bargain of £15 for one off ebay.

32582301771_35cee07d3b_b.jpg
DSCN0269 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

32325603660_a5202f5b65_b.jpg
DSCN0271 by Louis Walker, on Flickr

Theres a slight bit of the double sided tape showing, so i'll probably do this again with some proper 3M stuff and trim it all down however for now it's OK.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
They always look so much better with the newer badge.

Sort your wonky numberplate out though ;)