ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Better... rather than just moar powa

Ph2 Clio 172
Assuming my car passes its MOT it's service time again, meaning I will hover over all the air filter and induction kit options for a few days, before just buying a stock paper filter.

But am I missing out? I know the power increase claims have been pretty much disproved over the years, but are there other 'driveability' advantages to aftermarket filter or kit options?

I ran an ITG panel filter for a while and noticed no difference, and when a cleaning kit for a foam filter costs more than a new paper filter, I just didn't bother any more and used the stock ones. But that was when it was just a commuter car. Now it gets used for a lot of track days.

So, anything at all worth putting on a cheap tatty track toy other than the stock paper filters?

Nope. Not IMO.

Home made KTEC style induction kit for the noise maybe?

But you'll have more fun just booking another trackday with the 100 quid saved.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Open cone for some noise, if you're chasing power, don't waste your money.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Tbh i got a good rip off my home made Ktec setup. Along with the exhaust it sounded great i thought!

But it didnt feel any faster.

There was an article on here where it was proven the air temperatures were cooler behind the passenger headlight. So getting some kind of kit with the filter in that position can surely only be a benefit, even if it is very minimal. Plus you get a nice induction noise.

Something like that would be along the lines of a V6 airbox?

I've never seen a V6 airbox so I don't know where or how that sits. I was thinking more along the lines of a ktec induction kit. Or make something similar yourself.

I loved my ktec induction kit, i'd have it back in a heartbeat if I went back to the standard inlet manifold.

Ph2 Clio 172
Cheers.

Its a shame there's little gains other than noise to be had, but all credit to Renault for making an air feed that's pretty well optimized.

I think I will stick with the paper filters, unless there's a cheap foam panel filter about.