ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to removing the engine and gearbox

RB Lutecia
Simply enough just curious to whether or not its best to try taking the engine and box out of the top or raising the car and removing from beneath ? And preferably keeping the gearbox and engine together to split once its out of the car

Thanks in advance if I even get any replies Ta Mark

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I removed my first ever engine last week, and obviously went out the top...hardest part is putting it back in lol

Its certainly a pretty close fit between the chassis rails.

Far easier with two people TBH so one can do the wiggling around as the other raises and lowers the crane, but not the end of the world if you have to do it on your own.

SQ5
You have to kind of tilt the gearbox end down.

On your own isn't too bad just have a big bar for leverage handy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I always tip is so the engine is a lot higher than the box, and kind of slide the end of the box under first.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
To be honest the chassis rails was not the prob, it was the loom and pipe work that kept springing back. Anyway looks like im going to be doing it all again soon to replace the clutch humph!!!

Again much easier with two people as one can hold all that stuff out the way.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Guessing you can't really get it out the top without a crane?

Would be properly hard work, me and a mate of mine did it about 10 years ago with taking a 2.0 16v engine out the top (not a clio) between us just by putting a bit of 2*4 across it and getting our shoulders under it, but frankly f**k ever doing it again, my back is worth more than the cost of an engine crane if for any reason I ever didnt have one handy.