ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to join exhaust to cat 182

K20 EG Hatch
Or decat in my case.

Right where the btb joins the decat they are both like a bell shape.
At the minute i got national tyre and exhaust place to look at it as its blowing, i fitted the exhaust myself. They put a new clamp on it which looks like this:

http://www.ytmag.com/store/parts/pics/wm_FP185.jpg

However, it is still blowing :(

Whats the best way to sort this? My dad says to take the clamp off, put a exhaust bandage from halfords round it and put the clamp back on but sounds like a bit of a bodge to me. Theres gotta be a proper way to make the to bell's join and seal properly!?

Cheers

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Its a crap design!

They always blow from that joint.

As you already mentioned, a good seal of exhaust paste and probably some thin exhaust wrap round the joint.

Then use a good quality exhaust clamp. (Hunt around and you will find a strong one)

Only other way is to get the ends cut off and weld on a new section (effectivly changing bell type to just a clamp fitting)

K20 EG Hatch
:( ahhh right...

The cutting it and goin back to the old school way of sleeving them sounds the best bet but its a bit drastic isn't it.

K20 EG Hatch
How much will it cost me mate? Have you got the clamps in stock or will i need to buy one as the genuine renault one they sell you is not the same as the one that comes off the standard exhaust!!!

cheers

Lionel Richie
they're selling you the wrong part then!

i "think" we stock them, if not we can get you the correct one, they're about £10

BMW M3
How much will it cost me mate? Have you got the clamps in stock or will i need to buy one as the genuine renault one they sell you is not the same as the one that comes off the standard exhaust!!!

cheers

Yeah, i just bought one off renault and its a different (looks better) design, like in the pic earlier.

I fitted this and it still seems to blow a bit. Even the original was rubbish. Can hear it hissing when i horse it..

Might try the paste technique as its the last resort for me.

RenaultSport clio 18
Rite i have a blueflame system and gdi decat i have had this same problem for ages, what ever i did it just kept blowing,

So i welded the joint and have had no problems with it atall, no blowing etc, i have also welded up the back joints so it is 1 straight pipe. sounds like it is blowing abit but when you check it out there is no blow. Its just were it sounds very raspy.

So weld it best thing i have done.

K20 EG Hatch
lol sounds very drastic but so long as the weld will come off again when i sell the car i may just go for this option!

clio 200 F4Rt
why would the decat pipe be a bell shape?

it should be the same design as the stnadard cat.

got any pics?

K20 EG Hatch
as fred says

sorted now though, ATS re-seated the clamp with some exhaust paste and no longer blowing :) duno how long it will last thought but so far so good.