ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best polish for black

Ph1 track slag
Probs would start with a wax. Autogylm super resin is ok but is very very mildly abrasive as a a lot of polishes. Least with a wax you can get the technique right first.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The Menzerna range is hard to beat tbh. the colour of the car is irrelevant for polish though.

Probs would start with a wax. Autogylm super resin is ok but is very very mildly abrasive as a a lot of polishes. Least with a wax you can get the technique right first.
He asked for a polish to use with a DA.

Reactions: JD
  Clio 200t
Would recommend megs #83 (think number is right) light cut good results for beginners on a DA.

Then poor boys black hole with a finishing pad will give you awesome results, top off with collinite 476 and your car will gleam!

Ph1 track slag
Jesus. Polish police. Sorry I'm not a car valeter by trade so my info is only what I've read. I said use a wax to practice with the machine polisher. Instead of a polish which could I believe damage paint more easily in the wrong hands.

Clio 200t
You can apply wax by machine but it's better to apply it with hand.

I'd start out with a low cut polish or a glaze.

Ph1 track slag
My only point was the wax is less likely to do any damage didn't know how much of a 'beginner' OP was.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
@fairm010 , read up on the machine polishing guide stickied at the top of this section.

I keep recommending the zenith technique (as explained in that guide) as I get brilliant results via DA with it.

It's all in the breaking down and burnishing of the polish rather than the actual polish itself.

I find the auto finesse #2 pad and polish to be sufficient to remove all but the deepest swirls and scratches, and it still finishes up well.

And definitely invest in tar remover and iron remover before touching the car with the machine! If the car isn't decontaminated, you'll just be dragging all the bonded s**t around your paint.

My only point was the wax is less likely to do any damage didn't know how much of a 'beginner' OP was.

You can still cause damage by applying wax to the car with a machine.

Clio 200t
@fairm010 , read up on the machine polishing guide stickied at the top of this section.

I keep recommending the zenith technique (as explained in that guide) as I get brilliant results via DA with it.

It's all in the breaking down and burnishing of the polish rather than the actual polish itself.

I find the auto finesse #2 pad and polish to be sufficient to remove all but the deepest swirls and scratches, and it still finishes up well.

And definitely invest in tar remover and iron remover before touching the car with the machine! If the car isn't decontaminated, you'll just be dragging all the bonded s**t around your paint.

You can still cause damage by applying wax to the car with a machine.

Great advice imho..

The only thing id add to that if your buying tar remover, buy some clay also, and clay the car before you machine, for the same reasons.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Great advice imho..

The only thing id add to that if your buying tar remover, buy some clay also, and clay the car before you machine, for the same reasons.

Yup.

I don't like suggesting clay to beginners though after the amount of people who use it incorrectly.

"My car looks so slick and shiney after a clay barred" lol.

Clio 200t
Haha yeah. Well I think its an important step to avoid damaging the paint with any small grains tht washing has not picked up.

Plenty of lube and its easy to be fair.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
image.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't even have the energy to reply to this type of thread anymore.

Guy probably owns no wheel brush and one bucket and people are suggesting a f**king clay bar!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I don't even have the energy to reply to this type of thread anymore.

Guy probably owns no wheel brush and one bucket and people are suggesting a f**king clay bar!

Everyone has to start somewhere. Appreciate your reply though.

I hevba al althe touls he wouldn need.

Sorry, my hydraulic ramps got in the way writing this - I have all the tools he would need.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I have no idea about using a DA but by hand 50 Cal Cover up has been the best on my black car. Has mild cutting properties I believe. You already have the right people commenting in the thread though. Listen to Gally, JD and knuckles and you'll do alright..

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Get your cleaning technique sorted before even worrying about going at it with a DA.

Stickies at the top are your friend.

late 2003 172cup
Get some colour magic [emoji39]

On a serious level start with something weak,
Get an old car bonnet and practice. I know many who have gone thru the lacquer .

Polish for shine and light swirl removal
Wax to shine and to protect shine and colour and hide remaining swirls

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I appreciate that some may not know all that much about god methods or products to use to wash, valet or detail their car. But it's their if people do a little reading first. So there's no excuse for random or incorrect suggestions or advice. Using a DA to apply a wax isn't really a great method, as for doing it to practice starting to use a DA, good luck trying to remove it. And you're still likely to burn through with poor technique.

You say you know nothing about detailing. First off sort you basic wash and drying routine out.

Then look into wash, clean and decontaminating the paint and protecting with a wax or sealant.

Then once you've got the previous sorted then look into using a machine polisher to apply glazes, cleansers or abrasive polishes

On blacks, I've found it all to be down to the finishing polish. If you've got all the above sorted, or have to hand someone to guide you through the process, menzerna or meguiars polishes are a good place to start. The autofinesse compounds work well by DA and are simple to use, the finishing polish worked well. Or look at a mild abrasive cleanser like dodo juice lime prime or britemax blackmax

Ph1 track slag
Was quoting that I said less likely not impossible. Please don't quote any of my posts again, I aren't one for a forum argument. Cheers.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Must. Resist. Forum. Argument.

Uh oh LOL.

Anyway, I had brilliant results on my A3 from using Prima Amigo with a few coats of Vics Concours over the top. Did it all by hand as well so I assume it'd be even better with a DA.