ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Clio Ever

Clio v6
So.... for some reason people begin with So these days.

I believe the Trophy had it been available in different colours would be the best all round Clio.

Hello Dash it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Best VALUE for money Clio-

TROPHY. OR A MINT PH1 ( - because of the smiles per miles. )

clio diesel
The best Clio is the one you like best. Question should have been 'which Clio do you like best'.

The Trophy however is not the best Clio by a long way. Its a rubbish colour, the plaque is in the wrong place, its too harsh over bumps, sits too high, and has a rubbish steering wheel. Also the rear seats dont match the front.

My opinion is that we all know the best Clio, but we wont buy one because we would have to deal with the rust first and that is too big a job for most on here. So we buy a nerwer car and pretend its better. Which it isnt.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
172 Cup if you want the best all-round performance ;)

In the context of a road can then all round presumably includes things like the performance of the aircon when sat in hot traffic? For that reason, I disagree on the cup, how can it be an all rounder when it cant even do the basics?

WRX
I literally have no idea what the OP is on about.
Nor me. I thought it was a Google Translate fail. Then presumed he was answering his own questions.

Edit: So......
I think it's the one that offers the most, for the least investment.

So......
Ph2 172 - Better interior, ABS, Climate.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So without actually having driven one, I'm going to through the Williams into the equation.

No aircon, poor track record for rust, seats although comfy look pretty hideous next to trophy ones, they performed well in their day though and will always be the most iconic of the FWD clios im sure.

The f7r engine loves to lunch a gasket compared to the f4r as well.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
So.... for some reason people begin with So these days.

This annoys the hell out of me, and I blame this forum for the fact that I now start every sentence I speak with the word, "so".

As for the best Clio ever, it's too subjective and all you'll get is people stating opinions. If that's what you want then I'm going to say a 1.2 Billabong.

PB Clio 172
The best Clio is the one you like best. Question should have been 'which Clio do you like best'.

The Trophy however is not the best Clio by a long way. Its a rubbish colour, the plaque is in the wrong place, its too harsh over bumps, sits too high, and has a rubbish steering wheel. Also the rear seats dont match the front.

My opinion is that we all know the best Clio, but we wont buy one because we would have to deal with the rust first and that is too big a job for most on here. So we buy a nerwer car and pretend its better. Which it isnt.

+1 on that

L-Y Clio 197 F1
clio 197 f1 in liquid yellow with cup spoiler and gloss black wheels.... I'd sell you mine if you like xD

Phase 2 clio 172
+1 on the ph2 172 (I'm not biased I promise)

comfy inside, climate control, good on juice, still quick so makes a good all rounder IMO, I use mine daily and it's brill

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As an all rounder I really can't choose between a ph1 and trophy.

Trophy has the better stock suspension, dash, seats

But the ph1 has the cable throttle, lower cost, better looks (as in less like any old MK2 (IMO)) and is more drivable out of the box with the 15's.

Trophy - the ultimate Clio IMO. It's the only car that I haven't got bored of yet as an all rounder. 2 years and counting...

Italian 3.2 V6
For me the Ph2 Clio V6 is the "best Clio ever". But its horses for courses - there is no definitive answer.

clio diesel
No aircon, poor track record for rust, seats although comfy look pretty hideous next to trophy ones, they performed well in their day though and will always be the most iconic of the FWD clios im sure.

The f7r engine loves to lunch a gasket compared to the f4r as well.

Plenty of f7rs that have done 200k without any gasket failures. Where are these failures?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Plenty of f7rs that have done 200k without any gasket failures. Where are these failures?

Im not sure what you mean by where are they? You want me to list the GPS co-ordinates of the ones that have failed? If so I am sorry but I dont have that info myself.

But I can assure you that the F7R headgasket is a well known weak point, thats partly why renault moved to a metal gasket on the F4R.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
I'd have to say a ph2 v6 in lunar grey or mars red

There, that's better ;)

As mentioned a few times before in this thread, 'best' is hugely subjective. For me, and I know I'm biased.. or is it just my opinion and I've acted upon it? Either way.. for me the ph2 v6 I'd right up there. If you believe that once the accounts book was closed on the v6 and the final account closed, each Vee cost aprox £70k to produce. This makes it the bargain Clio of the century surely!

Next up for me is the ph1 172. Such a great little car. You're all familiar with the reasons why. :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Are the Trophy that great as they always more expensive but are poverty spec :/
Not really. Over rated to be honest. The seats may look good but they're hideously uncomfortable. Suspension is neither road or track, its half way between the 2 so its harsh in daily use but sloppy on track.

I nominate the mk1 1.8 RSI. In standard form its got the best engine Renault have made, power in a better rev range than most larger engine/16v clios and they just work.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry dont get the v6 thing yet, best clios built sofar by Renault are like mine or the Silverstone imo, best clio ever is Scotts silver ph 1, it is Cliosport is the only way to describe it, fastest Renault ive been in is the Smurf, Mats R26R, both cars are awesome for different reasons but a credit to their owners passion for their cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are the Trophy that great as they always more expensive but are poverty spec :/

The difference in cost is partly a premium that people are paying for what renault present as the most capable of the cars, and partly cause they do have some distinct advantages that people are prepared to pay extra for, such as the recaros the rear spoiler and the sachs dampers.

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry dont get the v6 thing yet, best clios built sofar by Renault are like mine or the Silverstone imo, best clio ever is Scotts silver ph 1, it is Cliosport is the only way to describe it, fastest Renault ive been in is the Smurf, Mats R26R, both cars are awesome for different reasons but a credit to their owners passion for their cars.

The silverstone clio isn't the best by miles lol I've got a silverstone and a v6 I'd say the v6 is 100 times better than the 200 I'd say a mint 1*2 would be more fun than a 200.
Some people don't understand/get v6's I understand that it's a very odd car but there's something magical about them.

For me the best Clio would be a ph2 v6 or a nice trophy failing them a Monaco 172.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fit xenons and cable throttle to a trophy, bobs your monk house, the best Clio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its a really pointless question without dictating what metrics the "best" is judged against.

If its best for taking 3 people on a ring trip for example, then unless you have a roof rack with a seat on it the V6 is going to be pretty useless.

So with everyone having such different ideas of what makes a good car, it means they will all have a different idea of what one is best.

If I had to only ever own one car and it had to be a clio, it would be a FF 172/182 or a Trophy as Id need the rear seats at some point and Id want the aircon, but if someone said to me tomorrow "you can have a free clio to add to your existing set of cars, what do you want?" it would be a black V6.