ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best cage I've seen installed in a Clio, amazing

172 ph1
From far it doesn't seem out of the ordinary

tn_2010-06-25%2009.56.13.jpg

but then look at the A pillar

tn_2010-06-25%2009.56.21.jpg

cage connected to the rear strut tops

tn_2010-06-25%2009.56.44.jpg

tn_2010-06-25%2009.56.33.jpg

AC was replaced by cold air coming through a tube which went from the grille and out of the airvent

tn_2010-06-25%2009.57.00.jpg

Stagecoach Ticket
Nice cage as tony sais they might be weld ones
Looks quite un tidy if it is a daily
CAF to the drivers seat is the driver made of ITG tri foam?

The gussets just link the cage to the shell in an attempt to eliminate any movement between the two...

th_IMG_9884.jpg
th_IMG_9906.jpg

Why would you go to all that effort stripped out, cage etc.. and keep the standard VERY heavy 5 spokes wheels? :S

Because heavier wheels are usually stronger? Not everyone wants the lightest wheels possible. I dont see many rally cars running superleggeras, because they wouldnt last 2 mins into a stage. If you use heavier wheels you can ride curbs harder.

It has a t**t strip so he could get rid of the sun visors. as i'm guessing it's really stripped out he has not roof liners/sun visors - hence the t**t strip.

You cant fit sun visors into most cars with a cage, hence you use a sun strip to ...er....keep the sun out of your eyes.

Pretty simple concept if you start to think beyond the tesco and maccy D car park scenario.

Because heavier wheels are usually stronger? Not everyone wants the lightest wheels possible. I dont see many rally cars running superleggeras, because they wouldnt last 2 mins into a stage. If you use heavier wheels you can ride curbs harder.

Dont most rally cars use magnesium wheels which are stupidly light? Serious question

Dont most rally cars use magnesium wheels which are stupidly light? Serious question

I doubt many private owners use magnesium wheels due to cost. But the argument is erroneous because it is not just the type of metal that is imortant it is the structure and what happens during manufacturing.

You might be able to for example, make a thicker spoke from a lighter metal and still have an increase in strength with a decrease in weight. Different metals will aslo behave in different ways on impact.

However, for a basic private rally car, i think you will find that most experienced drivers have learnt that you need a certain strength to the wheels. You cant just fit the lightest wheels you can find like you would do if you were racing the 1/4 mile or going down tesco for a cruise.

So why in your project thread have you removed items that weight less than this to save weight?

And they would be? I removed those things because they were of no use, whereas the ~500gramme of gussets have some use.

You also say use a bolt to the shell, into a non existant bolt hole, yeah? A bolt and nut welded on probably weigh more than the entire gusset to be fair. Also, whats stopping the shell flexing at the top and bottom either side of the 'bolt' - absolutely nothing. If the 'bolt' method was so brilliant, explain to me why nearly every BTCC and WRC car dont use this great method?

Turbo Beige
You can replace all those gussets with one bolt to the pillar. Just unecessary weight.

Colin Chapman - 'simplify and lighten'

Do you seriously think that 1 M10 10.9 bolt can provide the same amount of rigidity and strength as a 400mm 3mm steel plate stich welded at 15-20mm gaps, oh dear.

And the t**t strip comments make me laugh, try driving a caged car in the summer without one.

172 ph1
Hehe I sort of gave up when people did not notice that's the 'Ring carpark and started going off on the strip and standard wheels, and how it would suck as a daily driver

But it doesn't have turinis! The horror! ROFL

Fiesta ST-3
maybe serves a purpose... but why the stupid chavvy renault sport decals.
Needs a tw@t strip, leave it plain. In my opinion of course

Clio 172 RS2
What Tony said!

Still it's at the best place in the World! Nordschleife, Nürburgring!

Remember this sh*t at christmas!

172 ph1
Looks like it was made by Custom Cages, fitted cost is £2086.10 + TAX, so £2400ish, a lot more than most cages, but then it only weighs 39kgs and connects to all 4 strut tops. Wish I had that kinda money haha

renaultcliomk2.jpg

dscf1355resized.jpg

Attachments

• renaultcliomk2.jpg
    renaultcliomk2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
How can you use that argument about the wheels???? You're suggesting that the standard 5- spoke wheels are the ultimate compromise between strength and weight for a track car??? Don't be a tool. You're just arguing for a stupid point for the sake of it.

as said, looks very much like a CustoCages installation, certainly looks similar to mine,

as for all the negative comments?? judging by those pics the guys thought about what he wants and built what he wants, if it resemble a late 1990`s max power cover car i could probably see reason for slating areas,

maybe he has a set of "track" wheels at home with full on slicks?? maybe its a work in progress?? maybe he just doesn`t give a **** about what others think hahahaha

TrackCar & F30 330d
Only just seen this thread.

The bloke does have a cracking cage. 39kg does seem a bit light tho! I would have thought it would have weighted a it more. £2400 for a cage :) now thats been commited.

I also wander what under the bonnet too :)