ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best cable router with wireless N

AK

M240i
Whats a cable router?

I've a wireless router that i got for £80 from Sky, can be flashed to Linksys tho..

Polo + Micra
i've got a dlink dir-655 cable router

not put a foot wrong in the last 12 months

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I personally love Linksys items, but ive been using my nasty looking 3com for 3 years now with no problems at all.

A money pit
Netgear WNR-854T works very well. My only gripe would be when updating a setting it reloads everything meaning a wait before you can carry on.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've got the Netgear WNR2000 that Virgin Media give you when you take up the 50mbit broadband package. It's really good and the wireless range is amazing when used in conjunction with the USB adapter that comes with it.
It does 10/100/1000mbps, WPS, basic SPI, website / URL / IP / subnet filtering and you can schedule internet access.
The only issue I found with it was that it doesn't support jumbo frames out of the box. Needs custom firmware, and even then you can only push the MTU up to 7kb as opposed to the 9kb that my NIC and pretty much everything else on my network can support.

so do you always need a cable modem as well as a router then ?

never had to set up a cable connection for anyone before

Scirocco GT 2.0
so do you always need a cable modem as well as a router then ?

never had to set up a cable connection for anyone before

You can get modems inbuilt but it's best to keep the modem provided by VM and buy a router. or get a inbuilt one from VM themselves so they support it etc

I've just binned my Linksys bag of nails as it was failing to serve up IPs reliably, and was dropping the WLAN every 30 seconds. It used to be fine but basically just started breaking. Replaced with a Netgear WNR2000 and can't fault it so far.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ive had 2 Netgears, had to RMA one as the wireless dropped every 5 minutes to which I got a refund from OCUK, also had a non wireless Netgear at my mums which always died overnight when my PC was left on to downloading, never touching them again. Also at work we have some small 5 ports Netgear switches around the place that ports like to randomly die in for no reason what so ever.

Generally bad products, im sure the high end models are fine though.

Gal

A Clee O
I just used the freebie that Virgin Media sent and linked it to an Apple Airport Extreme instead.

Does the Job.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
If you have virgin just get a £10 Linksys off ebay, they do the job fine, my step dad as just got one which I setup for him last night. Just plug this into your standard router from Virgin.

Cupra
I tested a load of different routers before I found one that worked for me.

Linksys WRT610N came out top of the pile in terms of wireless speed and reliability. It is pricey but has loads of options and the bonus that you can plug an external USB drive into it and use it either as network storage or FTP server.