ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best After Market Speakers that fit Mk 2 Clio on Standard CD Player?

Megane
Hi guys

Dont want to spend too much but i wanted better speakers for my clio, i wondered what i can get into the stock cd player without messing around. I want a simple front and back speaker replacement :D Dont know what wattage it can handle either :S

if your buying components,need to remove tweeters,if your buying co-axials d/c your tweeters then fit em,13cm all round

Monaro VXR
Reason for removing the tweeters is that a coaxial speaker has a tweeter attached to the speaker. Typically sits in the middle of it.

Components have a separate mid range and tweeter with a crossover. So you replace the tweeter with the new one.

Either way you disconnect the tweeter, you don't want 4 tweeters up front it just doesn't sound right.

Polo + Micra
Reason for removing the tweeters is that a coaxial speaker has a tweeter attached to the speaker. Typically sits in the middle of it.

Components have a separate mid range and tweeter with a crossover. So you replace the tweeter with the new one.

Either way you disconnect the tweeter, you don't want 4 tweeters up front it just doesn't sound right.

probably be like driving round with tinnitus lol

172 phase 1
what about disconnecting the tweeter from the coaxial speaker? did that in another car so still have tweeters at the A pillar area :)

Tom, but then you're still using the standard tweeters, which defeats the objective of changing the speakers...

The £79 "perfect fit" pioneers are popular on here but I'd question whether the unsatisfactory SQ is due primarily to the headunit or the speakers. I found a pleasing difference just from a new headunit. Nevertheless the pioneers slot straight in without the need for new wiring or making any holes etc. The downside of components being that the standard tweeters vary from "rather annoying" to "f****** difficult" to get in/out.

The standard tweeter wire connects to the underside of the tweeter. You'll need to pop the tweeter out of it's housing in order to reach the wiring clip and disconnect the wire. You may be able to reach the clip without fully removing the tweeter from the dash (the hard bit being squeezing the tweeter out from between it's mounting clip and the actual surface of the dash)

The "custom fit" or "perfect fit" pioneers that people refer to are a set of component speakers, not a headunit. You can get them from MT Audio on here. My point was that whilst you might buy decent speakers, they're still being powered by the same pathetically small/cheap amplifier which is built into the standard head unit. Buying an aftermarket headunit would enable you to make much better use of the standard speakers.

Of course once you have an aftermarket headunit you will then probably get the urge for better components because the aftermarket headunit can probably provide more power than the standard speakers can take without distortion... My point being you can't solve sound quality or volume just by replacing the headunit or the front speakers, but you can improve it a lot for a relatively small amount of money just by grabbing some aftermarket stuff.