ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best 1.6 car to buy for up to 3.5k

as above the best 1.4 to 1.6 or basically a car that isnt overly expensive to insure and run for a 20 year old. Preferably 98 onwards any suggestions would be good

350Z GT
Megane Coupe!
Have 1 myself and is cheap to insure & run :) Picked mine up for £1500 with 55k miles, FSH, taxed & MOT'd - is a 2000 plate. Can get a later 2002 plate for about £2000 with same mileage or under, normally quite well equiped too with Leather seats, CD Changer, sunroof. 1.6 16v Engine has 110bhp like the Clio 1.6 RSI.

basically looking to upgrade for a 1.4 clio it's only an 8v so not really 1.4 speeds, but looking for something with a bit more comfort but sporty looks aswell, wont consider anything more basic i.e the 106's

106's aren't that basic chap. There good little cars. Don't knock a gti till you've tried one tbh.

If not for you then a 1.6 fezza is the only other decent option tbh.

Or a 1.8 focus.

ok well are they comfortable the 106s and are there many good examples or are there alot of badduns out there lol. Also what insurance group is it. i have been looking at the 1.4 mg zr's i know there alot of problems with these but they look a crackin little car for the price anyone heard much about these or recomend them

RB 182 Cup
by best do you mean, fastest or like practical?

Practical i would go for a dci clio? They are brilliant on fuel

Fast i would go for saxo vts / 106 gti or civic vti? :D you know you want some B16 power :D

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
my brother got a qoute for a clio 182 the other day 20 3yncb 1900 in a medium crime area his astra coupe 1.8 is 720 at the minute

BG 182 FF
punto gt, 106 gti or an old civic vtec, as said depends on what chartistics you want m8y

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As Guppy says the Civic VTI/Jordan would be my first port of call, reliable fast and rev like a friggin jet plane, high miles mean nothing to Hondas with religious service history, the only think is they are insurance group 16's (the Jordan is anyway).

158bhp and 7.6 to 60.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
if you want cheap insurance get a starlet (gt or glanza v) because 2 of my friends have them and because there imports theres nothing on the log books about a turbo, one person i know had a 1.2 punto at 17 for his first car then sold it 6 month down line when he turned 18 for a glanza and his insurance stayed the same:approve:

jamie

ITB'd 182...
if you want cheap insurance get a starlet (gt or glanza v) because 2 of my friends have them and because there imports theres nothing on the log books about a turbo, one person i know had a 1.2 punto at 17 for his first car then sold it 6 month down line when he turned 18 for a glanza and his insurance stayed the same:approve:

jamie

Until he bumps it and the assesor comes out to see the car, opens the bonnet, "Oh, whats this Sir? A large snail has nested on your manifold!"

Even worse if he's not at fault for the accident!

Wont get a bean and his insurance will go through the roof! :D Nice

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
tbh stick a turbo on a GTi and your looking at 195bhp, obviously your gonna need stronger internals but still 195bhp in a car thats made of papermache is gonna fly i love 106 GTi's and rallye's

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The standard brakes and chassis along with various other components of a GTi weren't designed to withstand 195bhp.

To do it safley your going to need a lot more than £3500

?
Get a 1.6 16v Clio Dynamique+, insurance group 8 and 110bhp as standard.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/927840.htm

+1

Or a 1.6 16v RSI. Got loads of fancy toys and half leathers and looks nice for a mk2ph1... then again... i am pretty biased ;)

But I would definately say a 1.6 clio... cheap(ish) on insurance and performance is often quicker than the book figures!!!

For example: Parkers says 0-60 is 9.6 i think, went out the other day to test my GTech meter, it was a wet day and i had 1 passanger... on the 3rd run managed to get 9.56.. and ive never tried a 0-60 run before that... still think there was s**tloads of room for improvement! Tbh if the rev limiter was increased in 2nd gear to allow 60 in that (currently tops off at 56/57ish mph) then i rekon you could easily shave 0.5-1 sec off that with my sloppy gear changes lol!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I had a standard 106 GTi and it could keep up with 1*2's in standard form from a rolling start. Off the line it was a bit slower but started to gain on them again higher up the gears.
They're awesome cars though. I had loads more fun in mine than any other car I've owned.
I'm gonna get another one day and track **** it.

182 Trophy
I had a standard 106 GTi and it could keep up with 1*2's in standard form from a rolling start. Off the line it was a bit slower but started to gain on them again higher up the gears.
They're awesome cars though. I had loads more fun in mine than any other car I've owned.
I'm gonna get another one day and track **** it.

awsome, nice to know some people realise how quick they are
even if i still prefer 1*2's, a gti will sit with one all day
the 140bhp in my rallye pulls on em tbh

astra coupe on coilovers
most gti's with breathing mods run mid- high 14's

182s run around 15 flat

imo, im right ;), never underestimate something because it has smaller engine
but thats modded against standard so add mods to a 182 ;)