ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bent 8 inlet valves after fitting dephaser

Clio 182
Fitted new dephaser pulley on a clio 182 started it up and bent 8 inlet valves after taking the head off Discovered 8 inlet valves was bent what went wrong all the timing tools fitted every this was timed I'm very confused as I've got to buy 8 valves head gasket and head bolts can't get my head round this

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Did you use the genuine Renault locking tool? Designed especially for these engines because of the floating VVT's etc?

If not then your engine has more than likely sh*t itself and ate the valves.

Clio 182
Did you use the genuine Renault locking tool? Designed especially for these engines because of the floating VVT's etc?

No I made a tool to hold the pulley so I could torque the dephaser, I never used a sprocket cam locking tool but everything still lined up, does the dephaser pulley need to be set at 12 0 clock ? Also the valves have slightly marked the pistons but not that bad hope the pistons are ok

Clio 182
No I made a tool to hold the pulley so I could torque the dephaser, I never used a sprocket cam locking tool but everything still lined up, does the dephaser pulley need to be set at 12 0 clock ? Also the valves have slightly marked the pistons but not that bad hope the pistons are ok
I locked the back of the cams and crank with the tool

Clio 182
What went wrong if the horse shoe went straight in the back of the cams and the crank locked with the pin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 343
  Clio 182
i have done a few of these now. So you locked the crank and the back of the cams with the correct tools.
If you used to tools to to lock everything in place them I can't see how it went wrong. Did the engine turn over OK by hand before you started it.
Another possibility is that the dephaser pulley bolt was loose.

Clio 182
Everything was tight and torqued. All I can think is the inlet cam was out, turned it by the crank at least 8 times and no valves where hitting only when I started it the belt was testioned

Clio 182
i have done a few of these now. So you locked the crank and the back of the cams with the correct tools.
If you used to tools to to lock everything in place them I can't see how it went wrong. Did the engine turn over OK by hand before you started it.
Another possibility is that the dephaser pulley bolt was loose.
Dephaser pulley was torqued to 125nm

dan's cast offs.
pin will go all the way in the balance drilling and also if you miss all together and pass the end of the crank web.

Clio 182
but it did this time though.[/
but it did this time though.
don't no what happened but something went wrong whipped the head off need 8 valves just wondering if you know if the valves are the same as a 172, I got the Renault tech data now so I'm going by that this time and I never used the cam sprocket locking tool as renault say it should be used if it's actually needed I thought it's only to tighten the pulleys down so I made something up last time I used the gun what I think didn't do the dephaser any good

Clio 182
I've come to the conclusion that the crank was not locked properly just waiting on a gasket set and some valves keep you updated on the rebuild hopefully it all goes well

Clio 182
Clio is running new gaskets new valves dephaser fitted inlet cam was 180 out so I made a silly mistake do these cars suffer from bad idle as it idled a bit rough before and it's still the same I think it's the throttle body any ideas ? Also took the sump off noticed the oil pump chain is a bit slack and the conrods have slight side to side play?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 142

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They do idle a tad rough on the standard map, but this could also be a symptom of the timing being out.

Clio 182
How rough is 'rough'?

They aren't the smoothest of engines, but I actually like them for that.
It's not bad at all with the air intake pipe I can see the throttle body flap fluctuating what makes me think it's that need to get it on a diagnostics to get live data