ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

belt snapped :(

clio182
once again guys thanks for your help and advice.Thankfully this is being resolved now and the garage is going to honor the work and i should have the car back (back to normal) hopefully by the end of the week. At least i will have some money now this month for road tax :D:D

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
once again guys thanks for your help and advice.Thankfully this is being resolved now and the garage is going to honor the work and i should have the car back (back to normal) hopefully by the end of the week. At least i will have some money now this month for road tax :D:D

Good outcome then dude but lets just hope they can redeem themselves and do a good job!

but

I can't see it being back by the end of the week especially if the valves have been smashed!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
That belt does not look new to me...

Certainly doesn't look new does it.

just out of interest.. What causes the aux belts on these to snap? Is it purely a degradation of the belt or is the tensioner to blame? It amazes me on a std engine that the cambelt can be taken out by a broken aux belt! You'd think it'd be well protected.

looking at how second hand that cambelt is in the pics there's always the huge long shot that you run an old cambelt over and it flicked up and took out your aux belt. You never know your cambelt might be all snug hidden away. Or even the garage left the old cambelt in the engine bay and it fell down onto the aux belt. It just looks too old for a new belt.

clio182
i have finally got the car back and it seems to be running as normal.apparently 14 of the valves had to be replaced and the head skimmed but the pistons were ok. I was telling a workmate about this and he suggested i may have to run the engine in and have it torqued down after 1k miles, will this be the case or will it be ok ? sorry for any spelling punctuation mistakes im on my phone. alex

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That's good news mate good on the garage tbh soon got there finger out and sorted it for you.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
i have finally got the car back and it seems to be running as normal.apparently 14 of the valves had to be replaced and the head skimmed but the pistons were ok. I was telling a workmate about this and he suggested i may have to run the engine in and have it torqued down after 1k miles, will this be the case or will it be ok ? sorry for any spelling punctuation mistakes im on my phone. alex

In all seriousness i'd be going to a rolling road to make sure the timing's okay. They fixed it once, they'll fix it again!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Rolling road? whats the point? just pop it into freds and get him to check it.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
yeah, i dont see the point, if it out you have to pay for it to be fixed, you would effectively be paying twice. Its pointless.

clio182
your mate is wrong, this isn't 1992 anymore ;)

that says it all, my workmate is only into classic cars such as old jags, golfs ect.. :approve:

as for the timing it seems to be running fine from what we can gather so i think i will leave it be and take it a bit steady for the time being to see how it goes.The next thing i need is the pads changing and replace the side repeater cover/lens i have missing then i will be 100% happy :)

HBT 172 Cup
Part of me would always be wary booting it, its "supposedly" the belt fialure heads that are more prone to dropping valves unless the entire valvetrain and valve guides are replaced (well thats what the BGA article said).

Glad it's sorted for you though :)