ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Because time attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
  XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
May just be my server, can't fully open the link so I'll try again later.

Is this something entering the 2012 UK TA series?

Okay, I thought front spoilers were not helpful? Back in the 60's F1 they had them (I think) and they were useless, was that due to the advancements in tech that means they work nowadays?!?

Turbos.
As with all time attack cars, 1000bhp is easy as they only have to last a few laps!

It is a crazy car, been around a few years now. Not the first car to have a spoiler on the front like that. Its ridiculousness helps the awesomeness. It has legend status because of it...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I fail to see what purpose that spoiler makes,considering the rediculous size of it it should be able to change the moons orbit around the earth.

Total waste of time.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Been done.

6606258725_7f60d4b1cc.png

It was s**t then, nothing's changed. Americans can't make cars turn corners. Fact.

Right so we're using a completely different car with totally different airflow characteristics now to prove the point...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Meh. It just reminded me of the A22. But that was crap for a completely different reason.

I'm sure if it's so good, every car will have it soon.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
obviously nobody can really comment on exactly what is happening from an aerodynamic point of view,

but surely this is going to add a hell of a lot of drag and will make the air hitting the rear spoiler a lot more turbulent based on the bernoullis theorem.
it will obviously increase front end grip slightly, but at the expense of rear grip.

also having that weight that high up will not be aiding the centre of gravity in any way. Why not have the spoiler sticking out the front, low to the ground?? since the turbulent air going under the car is undesired and reduces downforce already, then rather than throwing it upwards out the way of the rear spoiler (which it seems to be doing atm), it will throw more into front screen of the car, and ultimatley INTO the rear spoiler.

maybe what theyre doing does work, but im pretty sure the idea has been toyed with by some much smarter people than these guys to no avail.

Data logging, lap/sector times, driver feedback. These are things that they will be in the possession of which us speculators are not, suffice to say that as they're in the business of trying to be quicker I'd wager that if it was having a negative effect on pace they wouldn't persist with it.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Driver confidence is all in the mind, I doubt it making enough difference to warrent doing it, obviously only hours in a wind tunnel would tell; that and sensors to calculate loads... but its working for them. So meh.

Needs Silvervisions and a Pistonheads sticker.

Swift Sport
They're American, so it's probably a huge sun-blind or a spare in case the rear one falls off, maybe it transforms into a robot or something.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
just because their in business doesnt mean anything, nor does driver feedback.

only way of working out for sure is wind tunnel research. just because they have a lot of money and a time attack team, doesnt mean they have the first clue about fluid dynamics!!

lets face it, if it DID work, then they wouldnt be the only people pushing it!!

Bit of a longshot there Roy, it can't be though because CS says so. I'd take the opinion of the people running the car and their findings/results over a bunch of lads on a car forum speculating with zero first hand experience.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The only difference between them and us is the cash to do it.

I hardly think there on the phone to ross brawn after every race.

The difference is they do it, they have experience and results. Fairly good reduction on lap time, I guess he'll take it back off until he can afford a wind tunnel to check it though as lap times don't really mean anything do they nor are they important in competitive motorsport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.