ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bearings

just a quickie lads - when exactly do you know your bearings are gone? what symptoms are there? i know about the whining sound, but thats about it!

cheers

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Had mine fixed on the o/s front the other week - sounded like a rumbling noise - only when the car was moving - thought the gearbox had gone, but it wasnt that thank god...the noise got progressively worse...

When it went for repair, the mechanic said the bearing had cracked and was close to seizing up!

Try driving the car with all the heaters, stereo off etc so you can hear it, but be careful - if it is the bearing, dont drive it for ages like that

trust me - youll know!! esp. if more than 1 has gone! do a search for bearings in previous posts - theres loads of info to be had.:cool:

A garage did my bearings under warranty ages ago not exactly sure which ones though now ive the droning back and took it to a new garage and they told me to leave it a bit longer so it could get worse and they could tell exactly which one it is must admit its only very faint droning when im on a gradual turn going left bit worried about leaving it though!!!!!!

rob

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Wheel bearings can be quite difficult to diagnose when they are in the early stages of failure. The noise is a rumble/groaning noise and the pitch will alter with road speed. Also, the pitch may alter when turning corners etc.

I have not come across a complete bearing failure in the last 10 years, but would recommend replacement when they become excessively noisy.

Bob RTE