ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bearing noise 182

Clio 182
I'm getting a growling sound when moving, starts at about 10mph. First thing I thought was wheel bearing but I checked all the wheels by by spinning them by hand and everything seems normal to me. No growl, all free so couldn't be a seized calliper which was another thought. The noise definitely isn't meant to be there as it sounds horrendous.
Any one got any other ideas?
​cheers,

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The droning noise should increase with speed. Take the car on the motorway and get to 70-80mph - even for just a mile or so. If the bearing is shagged, there's a very good chance it will build up a lot of heat.

I don't have centre caps on my alloys and when one of my bearings went the other week, the centre hub was painfully hot to touch. The other side of the car, barely warm at all.

Certainly worth trying. And if it is a bearing, regardless of where the sound appears to be coming from - there's a 90% certainty that it will be one of the rears.

​D.