ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

battery for track car

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
What are people using? I need to get one ordered so I can get on with moving it so I can fit my airbox but I don't want to get one which is too small for to turn the engine over!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I'm interested in this, I still have A/C and a radio, how well do these small batteries cope with electrical systems?
I know they drain easily with alarms etc but I keep my battery on a maintainer charger when not in use so that should not be a problem.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
See mine doesn't have anything at all, just an interior light and central locking lol.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I left a bit of comfort in mine electric windows, stereo and heater, but want to make a bit more room in the engine bay and move the battery to behind the passenger seat but a standard battery and battery box will not fit.
I am worried about getting to a track and the car not starting for some reason.

I have been looking at the same. There seem to be two I am interested in. The one you just mentioned for £99 and then a cheaper one for £50

PVR 22 Clubsport

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151159411820

Would the alternator not keep the battery charged up whilst the engine running so providing that is proving more power than you are using then the battery should be fine. It's the starting current that would bother me if you did lots of starts without running the engine long enough to charge it back up.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I emailed Merlin motorsport to see what their views were and he suggested to get the "30" size, this is part of the reply.
Now the 30 would end up being about £40 more expensive is it worth it to almost be guaranteed to start the car?

"I would suggest perhaps using the '30' size battery as the 25 is probably a bit borderline and the 30 will just provide you with a bit more power and endurance. But this is up to you."

Often been tempted to buy one for my 2.0 205. It's just the fact I leave it for months at a time without starting it that concerns me. With a healthy standard battery it starts first time, but I imagine I'll kill one of those little ones unless I trickle charge it which isn't ideal when on the driveway.

I emailed Merlin motorsport to see what their views were and he suggested to get the "30" size, this is part of the reply.
Now the 30 would end up being about £40 more expensive is it worth it to almost be guaranteed to start the car?

"I would suggest perhaps using the '30' size battery as the 25 is probably a bit borderline and the 30 will just provide you with a bit more power and endurance. But this is up to you."

I'm only 30 mins from Powervamp so I'm tempted to stick my head in for some advice at some point. Can probably shave a god few quid off for buying outside of eBay also.

I run a varley red top 25. Been fine for the last year and I barely use the car. Once a month for a track day.

I don't have air con though but that wouldn't be an issue as you wouldn't have the air con on without the car started.

I've recently removed the radio now too. But was fine with it in.

However, I do use a cut off switch. But this is fused and still allows a current through for the alarm and central locking etc.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I also run a varley red top 25 battery in my track car.
All I do is leave the car plugged in to a battery conditioner when it's not in use and I've never had a problem with it.

I have no leccy windows or heated screens, but I do have lights a stereo and epas - the latter being the biggest current draw. Never caused any issues.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I suppose I could just remove the battery from behind the seat and take it inside and bung it on a conditioner/charger
The c-tek conditioner/charger comes with a seperate fly lead that you can fix to the battery terminals and allows you to plug it in even if the battery's in a remote place. Mines under the passenger seat so that's what I use to connect up.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I wonder if xenons will make a big difference as mine has them also.
@NorthloopCup What gauge cable you using for yours, and where have you earthed it to?
Xenons will make a slight difference but how often do you do a trackday with your lights on? That's the way I look at it anyway. I did calculate the current draw back in the day when I was keen. Lol!
My cable is 16mm sq and I use the same size for the earth as well. A lot of people don't do this and it just generates a bit of a bottle neck. It's earthed at the threaded bolt hole for what was the seat belt reel on the passenger side.

Your welcome to come over and have a nosey round if you want mate.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Xenons will make a slight difference but how often do you do a trackday with your lights on? That's the way I look at it anyway. I did calculate the current draw back in the day when I was keen. Lol!
My cable is 16mm sq and I use the same size for the earth as well. A lot of people don't do this and it just generates a bit of a bottle neck. It's earthed at the threaded bolt hole for what was the seat belt reel on the passenger side.

Your welcome to come over and have a nosey round if you want mate.

Cheers Mark, I may do that if you dont mind.
Whereabouts in Litchfield are you any way

I was just thinking of driving to a trackday in the dark with lights on, radio and heater

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers Mark, I may do that if you dont mind.
Whereabouts in Litchfield are you any way

I was just thinking of driving to a trackday in the dark with lights on, radio and heater
I'm just outside the city mate in an area called boley park.

If you've sacked the ac off you'll be fine mate tbh. The xenons have a 12v feed to the ballast packs and they're just a glorified coil pack that ups the voltage. Yours will be on the 110a alternator as well if it's a ff, whereas I'm on the smaller 80a cup alt.

Ah just seen that you've still got the ac! You may need to step up to a 30.

Last edited:

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Your only about 30 mins from me, let me know when you are free one of the weekends and I will pop over and have a look.
Yeah still got a/c, I think a 30 battery would be the best solution.

RenaultSport 172
I just put the standard battery behind the passenger seat. Sure I didn't lose some weight, but the car runs as normal which is what I wanted most as I don't use it a lot

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Your only about 30 mins from me, let me know when you are free one of the weekends and I will pop over and have a look.
Yeah still got a/c, I think a 30 battery would be the best solution.
Ah right not far at all then! I'm usually free most weekends mate tbh so your better off giving me a nod when you want to head over and I'll let you know if I'm in.
Yeah the 30 will be more than man enough of the job.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I just put the standard battery behind the passenger seat. Sure I didn't lose some weight, but the car runs as normal which is what I wanted most as I don't use it a lot

I have thought about that but it would not fit when it is in a box without the passenger seat being moved forward on the mounts, and I want to keep the two seats in the same position (looks better) lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Tbh you'd have gained more from putting the standard battery behind the passenger seat in terms of weight distribution and the c of g anyway mate. Win win situation!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I have thought about that but it would not fit when it is in a box without the passenger seat being moved forward on the mounts, and I want to keep the two seats in the same position (looks better) lol
Are your seats on the standard rails? Have a measure up to see if a battery will actually fit underneath would be my advice. Mine is pretty damn close!! I'm on the welded in seat tubes though.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
I don't like the idea of putting a regular lead acid battery inside the car, it should be a sealed AGM battery really.

RenaultSport 172
My drivers seat is on weld in tubes and much further back so no room there. I'd post a pic but can't figure it out on this phone

RenaultSport 172
mL92y3.jpg

3CqHDJ.jpg

3zHkQK.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Unfortunately I bought the wrong battery tray, some universal thing. I had to put some blocks of wood in to ensure the battery will not move.
I should have just bought a proper box but was trying to save money

Track 172 Cup
@Fantom do you have a picture of how its wired under the bonnet, I'm thinking of moving mine and using the BMW cable to connect it all together.

I can get batteries at a good price... Eg the oddysey pc680 (redtop 25) at £75. Can enquire on a price for the "30" size if anyone is interested in that one