ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery being flattened!

306 GTI-6
My 95 Valver is currently parked as I am unable to use it for another month! However I usually let it run for half an hour or so every weekend but lately each time I have tried to start it the battery is totally flat! I have diisconnected the power lead for the amp as I thouyght that might be draining the battery slowly but it's still the same. I have also replaced the battery and have checked that the alternator is charging and it is.
Is this a common problem or have I got an electrical fault somewhere?
Thanks
Martin

MK1 Clio 16v
I don't think it's too unusual for it to go flat unless you give it a good run around. Just leaving it idling won't really charge the battery that much. You need to take it for a drive around, ideally down a bypass or something to keep the revs high, and that'll keep it charged up nicely.

If you can't drive it, just take the battery out and charge it up, then leave it until you need it, otherwise you'll kill your battery if you keep flattening it.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
cliokiz said:
I don't think it's too unusual for it to go flat unless you give it a good run around. Just leaving it idling won't really charge the battery that much. You need to take it for a drive around, ideally down a bypass or something to keep the revs high, and that'll keep it charged up nicely.

If you can't drive it, just take the battery out and charge it up, then leave it until you need it, otherwise you'll kill your battery if you keep flattening it.

Your talking shite, you dont know, so pipe down..

MK1 Clio 16v
GavFre said:
Your talking sh*te, you dont know, so pipe down..

I don't see you giving any advice to the guy, so unless you know better i think you're the one that needs to 'pipe down'.

I'm only talking from my experience.

Could be wrong isn't there always power running through it and even if it isn't used it will slowly drain the battery if left fot a long time. I would just disconnect the battery until you want to start it up

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
cliokiz said:
I don't see you giving any advice to the guy, so unless you know better i think you're the one that needs to 'pipe down'.

I'm only talking from my experience.

The fix was already said, so pipe down.

306 GTI-6
Thanks for the replies. How do I go about checking the earth? And also I could understand it being drained over a few months but over a week?! Do you think that it still sounds like an earthing problem?
Thanks
Martin

MK1 Clio 16v
I was the first to reply, how can the fix have been said?

Stop flaming someone who is only trying to help.

MK1 Clio 16v
clioRL said:
Thanks for the replies. How do I go about checking the earth? And also I could understand it being drained over a few months but over a week?! Do you think that it still sounds like an earthing problem?
Thanks
Martin

Just disconnect the earth from the battery, and then undo the bolts on the chassis where it earths to, and give them a damn good clean. Clean both the connector and the area around where it connects to for any dirt.

I'm not sure whether a faulty earth causes a battery to drain quickly but it's worth a try :)