ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bass without bass box

S2000

Is it possible to get decent/resonable bass without having a bass box? Are there any subs you can get that dont need to be in a box to work properly?

Cheers

Wayne

Mk2 Golf GTI

6x9s mounted in a stealth shelf. They are good for bass, i had some vibe ones before and they were a lot bassier than my mates JBL cannon piece of sh*t!

spirez - bit of a problem with that one, firstly 6x9s dont give bass and secondsly, there is no parcel shelf on a v6

personally would be tempted to go with a couple of 6 or 8" subs mounted behind the seats

you can get free air subs, that need to e mounted on a solid baffle, but these do lack in the quality department

in the boot, as in rear?? there is a space about 2 foot long, by 12" high, by about 6" deep - I dont think it will be easy to find a bass box to fit in there!

Haha.

Just think of the parking dents.. reckon the DCi should make an appearence for shopping. ;)

If you have back seats then this wont work. But I dont so I utalised the rear seat footwells. I simply (I say that now) created a sealed box that fitted perefectly in the space including a small part that was raised to get over the bump bit in the middle that the drive shaft thingy runs under. Sorry if I am getting too technical ;). Then I cut some holes for my 6x9s and put a small (about 50p size) at the bottom of box for the air to move about. It created quite a nice sound, but there was a lot of air pressure comming out of those small holes so before I carpeted it I cut a sainsburys american cookie size (about as big as your fist) circular hole at either end. Then covered it in carpet. It sounds much better and the bigger holes really help. They are just big enough with the carpet making the effective air flow reduced. I know they are meant to be free air, but they work really well in the box, better than when they were on a stealth shelf. Odviosly they arent a match for a sub, but when you get used to them not being as bassy you get adapted to the lack of punch and you get a more rounded sound.

Of course you will need to amp them up and re-alter your sound settings to take into account your running 6x9s and not subs. This said, I am fitting 2 10" vibe subs soon (got em and amps, just need boxes to suite my subs).

So to sumerise they are good, they are just not sub good.

Paul

ps the back looks sh*t hot with that box and a special leveling box I made to level out the entire back end. I will be leveling it all up over summer as there is a little step up between the leveling box for the back and the speaker box.

We put a JL W3 v2 Sub behind the drivers seat in our 2 seater. A custom box was made(triangle shape), covered and slotted into place. The amps went in the front boot. Looks and sounds excellent. Driver gets a nice punch in the back from the bass line. defo worth doing.

i want to mount 2 8" some where in my clio not 100% where im gonna put em as the boots full with ice all ready