ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

banging/clunking from inner tie rod?

2003 172
Hi all,

I got underneath the clio earlier and jacked it up on axle stands. I have found if i grab the passenger wheel at 9 and 3 and wiggle it, The inner tie rod is banging in and out. I made a video and posted it on the facebook group but it was removed for some reason?
Is this a job i can do myself with normal home tools? I honestly expected it to be the track rod end but that arm is definitely banging in and out and the rubber gaitor is completely split open.

2003 172
Had a look on ebay. Looks like I can get both inner tie rods and track rod ends for 39.95. Then I need two gaitors and the tie rod tool, does that sound right?
With the tools, there are loads of different ones on ebay from 40 quid to a tenner. They look to have different designs as well. Is this gonna be a job for a cheap use once type tool or should I get a more expensive one?
Am I gonna need to do this again?

Clio 172
Had a look on ebay. Looks like I can get both inner tie rods and track rod ends for 39.95. Then I need two gaitors and the tie rod tool, does that sound right?
With the tools, there are loads of different ones on ebay from 40 quid to a tenner. They look to have different designs as well. Is this gonna be a job for a cheap use once type tool or should I get a more expensive one?
Am I gonna need to do this again?
I bought a £25 tool to do this, done it's job. Whether you will need to it again is down to how many potholes/kerbs you plan to hit in the future.

2003 Clio 172
Or, you can grab a correctly sized crows foot spanner with 1/2" attachment for a good few quid less. Still a wanker as they are generally fused with kryptonite.

:D