ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad time to sell??

Black/Gold V6 255
Is it just me or am I right in thinking that Clio 172's/182's etc, aren't selling very well at the mo?? You can literally count on 1 hand the amount that are sold when searching through the first 12-13 pages on Pistonheads :S

Black 172
I bought my 172 recently and I did get the impression it's a bit of a buyers market! I'm not sure if it will get any better though, I think prices may only get lower.

Black/Gold V6 255
I bought my mates 172 off him a couple of months ago in part ex for my van with the sole intention of selling it on quickly, wish I hadn't bothered now, I only did it as a favour to him as he was deperate to buy my van! :(

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Different car I know but I had my Mini up on Autotrader for 1 day and then somebody bought it. For the price I wanted aswell.

Audi A3
About 2 months ago I bought my car, seemed harder to buy then.

Recently I've been looking and there's a fair few for sale but I'd imagine every car model has highs and lows, of your selling just gotta get in there with the lows and if buying then the highs!

It is definately a buyers market at the moment. I got my 172 stupidly cheap considering the condition of it, mileage and extra's it had fitted.

It's always a buyers market. I never understand why people say that? Especially with a Clio. If you're selling a super rare car then you can be a bit more fussy.

There's never a 'bad' time to sell. Your car is just too expensive.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I think one problem is that people (on here particularly) over-value them.

Not sure about that to be honest. Isn't the recent criticism that everyone is giving them away!
The reality seems to be that a certain "type of buyer" is expecting one of the finest hot hatches ever made with a reasonable mileage, full service history etc. for about £2,000. Strange how Civics, MINIs etc. are not affected in quite the same way.
What's doubly frustrating is that the same people a month later will put £5,000 of "mods" on the car.

The other thing that winds me up (even though I am not selling a car!) is that there seems to be an assumption that if a car needs a cambelt or "the dampers haven't been done" (the favourite bugbear for Trophy sellers) a buyer wants to knock off about £1,500 even though the car is a perfect example, has a full service history, has been garage parked, never been near a track and so on. I know some work may need doing but that's life. The work should be factored into the future costs of running the car, not necessarily the price of the car when you buy it!

Again, I have noticed this particularly in the Renaultsport market. Possibly because of (over?)active owners' forums.

french bit of tat
i think ppl have genuinly realised that these clios are bloody unreliable (99%) and cost a fortune to maintain with very little gain.

It's always a buyers market. I never understand why people say that? Especially with a Clio. If you're selling a super rare car then you can be a bit more fussy.

There's never a 'bad' time to sell. Your car is just too expensive.

This.

The problem isn't that people aren't buying them at the moment, the seller's are just putting them up for sale for too much money.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
i think ppl have genuinly realised that these clios are bloody unreliable (99%) and cost a fortune to maintain with very little gain.

Then the reliability issues must be completely random (I may live to regret saying this!). I have had mine just over 12 months and driven it daily. I have not had one single thing go wrong with it. It starts first time, every single day, sits at 1,000 rpm on idle, rock solid. There are no rattles or squeaks, no warning lights, no quirks, it just works like a machine.
I wonder how many of the "reliability issues" arise because the cars are taken apart DIY style every other weekend for fitting this, that and the other.
My rule with cars is avoid taking them apart if you can.

RB 182
No one on here seems to be giving them away! Just look at the price difference between those on pistonheads and those on autotrader.

Civics and Minis aren't affected in the same way because they hold there money better - probably down to the fact they don't start falling apart after 50k :rasp:

One of the main reasons i bought my 182 is because they are such good value for money and i don't think many other cars have as much character or are as fun to drive.

It's a buyers market at the moment though and they're only what people are willing to pay for them, which isn't much these days!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure about that to be honest. Isn't the recent criticism that everyone is giving them away!
The reality seems to be that a certain "type of buyer" is expecting one of the finest hot hatches ever made with a reasonable mileage, full service history etc. for about £2,000. Strange how Civics, MINIs etc. are not affected in quite the same way.
What's doubly frustrating is that the same people a month later will put £5,000 of "mods" on the car.

The other thing that winds me up (even though I am not selling a car!) is that there seems to be an assumption that if a car needs a cambelt or "the dampers haven't been done" (the favourite bugbear for Trophy sellers) a buyer wants to knock off about £1,500 even though the car is a perfect example, has a full service history, has been garage parked, never been near a track and so on. I know some work may need doing but that's life. The work should be factored into the future costs of running the car, not necessarily the price of the car when you buy it!

Again, I have noticed this particularly in the Renaultsport market. Possibly because of (over?)active owners' forums.

They knock it off because its a hefty bill that should have been done, showing neglect on the previous owners part. If the cambelt was over due it could potentially snap on the way home, so they aren't going to be willing to take a risk on parting with the extra cash for it.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
They knock it off because its a hefty bill that should have been done, showing neglect on the previous owners part. If the cambelt was over due it could potentially snap on the way home, so they aren't going to be willing to take a risk on parting with the extra cash for it.

I'm not talking about neglect, I'm talking about if the cambelt is coming up for a change or, in the case of the Trophy dampers, they are absolutely fine, why the hell would the seller want them refurbed, yet a buyer will say that will be £600 off for that if they've not been done.
I recall an example a few months back when someone was selling a Trophy with around 6,000 miles on the clock. The most popular issue seemed to be "have the dampers been done?"

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not talking about neglect, I'm talking about if the cambelt is coming up for a change or, in the case of the Trophy dampers, they are absolutely fine, why the hell would the seller want them refurbed, yet a buyer will say that will be £600 off for that if they've not been done.
I recall an example a few months back when someone was selling a Trophy with around 6,000 miles on the clock. The most popular issue seemed to be "have the dampers been done?"

Because people dont want to put money into buying a car to have to spend money straight after. You buy a car and don't want it to become a money pit straight away. You want a little time to just drive it and enjoy it.

Black 172
I think one problem is that people (on here particularly) over-value them.
True.

The prices for PH2's advertised here were at least £800 more than eBay and Autotrader. That's fine if the car you're buying is tip top and enthusiastically looked after. When I checked the sellers previous posts, quite a few rang alarm bells, for example a seller posted about his dephaser going noisy just a couple of months before. Others didn't have recent cambelt history but still expected top dollar.

Listerine & Poledo
8-year old French hatches aren't exactly the highest priority in casual buyers minds.
Of course, there's the "entheusiasts" who'll know what they're looking for, but then they'll want the best one they can find, leaving the rest sat on forecourts and driveways.

In fairness, for a cheap 3-door hatch, running costs of RS's (tax, INSURANCE, cambelts) are ridiculous.

EDIT: And yes, entheusiasts selling their RS's seem to think they're selling gold-plated gold. Especially if they've gone and poured their money into it to "enhance" their example. The general public still see modifications as a sign of a ruined vehicle, thus making them even harder to shift

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
The general public still see modifications as a sign of a ruined vehicle, thus making them even harder to shift

Yep!

Thus why mine will be kept bone stock and all the money I spent on it will be logged. She's in cracking condition already (except for a few stonechips, which will be sorted next spring). I only plan to keep it a year.

RB 182
In fairness, for a cheap 3-door hatch, running costs of RS's (tax, INSURANCE, cambelts) are ridiculous.

Disagree with this, ok cambelt isn't cheap, but its a once in 5 year job, tax is (slightly) cheaper than CTRs, VXR etc, they are good on fuel (for a hot hatch) and insurance is a lot cheaper than for cars of similar performance (infact a lot cheaper than the 1.8 BMW compact i had insured before it.)

RB 182
That's fine if the car you're buying is tip top and enthusiastically looked after. When I checked the sellers previous posts, quite a few rang alarm bells, for example a seller posted about his dephaser going noisy just a couple of months before. Others didn't have recent cambelt history but still expected top dollar.

Agreed - there are a lot of shitters out there which bring down the prices of decent ones. I just sold my GF's BMW for her (immaculate 2 owner car) and had no end of people ringing me and telling me they'd seen newer ones with less miles for less money etc and trying to get us to knock £750 off it so i'd tell them where to go.

In the end it sold to the first person who came to see it who paid the asking price.

Listerine & Poledo
Disagree with this, ok cambelt isn't cheap, but its a once in 5 year job, tax is (slightly) cheaper than CTRs, VXR etc, they are good on fuel (for a hot hatch) and insurance is a lot cheaper than for cars of similar performance (infact a lot cheaper than the 1.8 BMW compact i had insured before it.)

Fuel is their only big win though, all things considered.

Really, the Clio is in the same segment as the Jazz, Fiesta & Corsa, just that it punched well above its weight in the 1*2 days. When looked at that way, they're pverpriced.

Against Focuses, Astras etc, yes, they are less. But, then, that's like saying it's cheaper to run than an AMG.

I get your point though.

Listerine & Poledo
Yep!

Thus why mine will be kept bone stock and all the money I spent on it will be logged. She's in cracking condition already (except for a few stonechips, which will be sorted next spring). I only plan to keep it a year.

Knowsit.

These damned stripes will go before it goes near a resale

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
As said its never a great time to sell, I can say with 100% confidence that over the last 2 years people have become a LOT more fussy, finally 'as a generalisation' people have learned not to just throw 4/5k at the 'nearest' car on a forecourt or private sale-
People sign up to forums, do research & want the best examples,- Renaultsport buyers are by far the most fussy car buyers around- The last V6 I sold I got 39 Emails from the buyer-

So is it a bad time to sell- well that depends- If you have a modified car thats a bad start as people want 100% standard examples ( with the exception of a COUPLE of approved mods- like recaros etc)
Also whilst it seems old fashioned whilst people have researched these cars to the Nth degree the starting point for Joe public is still the same old 3 questions-
Low mileage, Service History & number of owners- Again this is a generalisation, people on here know 172's / 182's are good for at least 100k if well maintained, however joe soap doesnt know this-

So, if you are selling a low mileage good owner good History Renaultsport then you have a massive head start over at least 80% of whats on the market as most these days have one fundemental part of the above equation missing...

Also write a good ad & spell check it, no test speak & decent pics!!!

regards
Steve

RB 182
Fuel is their only big win though, all things considered.

Really, the Clio is in the same segment as the Jazz, Fiesta & Corsa, just that it punched well above its weight in the 1*2 days. When looked at that way, they're pverpriced.

Against Focuses, Astras etc, yes, they are less. But, then, that's like saying it's cheaper to run than an AMG.

I get your point though.

Perhaps a comparison to an Astra or a Type R isnt a fair comparison as they are much bigger cars but compare it to a fiesta then its no more expensive to run that say a fiesta ST, but with much better performance and look how much people are asking for the equivalent ST (also look at the piss poor standard spec of an ST). There isn't an equivalent Corsa or jazz to compare it to.

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
I think if everyone who is after a hot hatch went for a spin in a 1*2 I think prices would rise,hands down best hot hatch out there,as for them being unreliable,buy a good one and look after it and you shouldn't have to many issues.

Listerine & Poledo
Cant really compare that to a 182 its a lot newer!

only 1 year in it (182 goes out in 2006, VXR comes in 2007)

As for Beiing the best hot hatch foreverever, well, maybe, but that still means you need an audience who care.

Which is shrinking. Driving with any sort of entheusiam just leads to points, bans or barrel-rolling situations*

*: particularly for the yoof with y0! intentions

As said its never a great time to sell, I can say with 100% confidence that over the last 2 years people have become a LOT more fussy, finally 'as a generalisation' people have learned not to just throw 4/5k at the 'nearest' car on a forecourt or private sale-
People sign up to forums, do research & want the best examples,- Renaultsport buyers are by far the most fussy car buyers around- The last V6 I sold I got 39 Emails from the buyer-

So is it a bad time to sell- well that depends- If you have a modified car thats a bad start as people want 100% standard examples ( with the exception of a COUPLE of approved mods- like recaros etc)
Also whilst it seems old fashioned whilst people have researched these cars to the Nth degree the starting point for Joe public is still the same old 3 questions-
Low mileage, Service History & number of owners- Again this is a generalisation, people on here know 172's / 182's are good for at least 100k if well maintained, however joe soap doesnt know this-

So, if you are selling a low mileage good owner good History Renaultsport then you have a massive head start over at least 80% of whats on the market as most these days have one fundemental part of the above equation missing...

Also write a good ad & spell check it, no test speak & decent pics!!!

regards
Steve

Spot on Steve.

Well said.

RB 182
only 1 year in it (182 goes out in 2006, VXR comes in 2007)

As for Beiing the best hot hatch foreverever, well, maybe, but that still means you need an audience who care.

Which is shrinking. Driving with any sort of entheusiam just leads to points, bans or barrel-rolling situations*

*: particularly for the yoof with y0! intentions

Well they started making 182's in 2004 so its 3 years older (or if you count the ph2 172 which is essentially the same design then that takes it back to 2002 and technology has moved on in 5 years so i wouldnt say its a fair comparison - the 197 would be fair as a direct comparison to a corsa VXR.

I didnt say anything about it being the best hot hatch ever.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well they started making 182's in 2004 so its 3 years older (or if you count the ph2 172 which is essentially the same design then that takes it back to 2002 and technology has moved on in 5 years so i wouldnt say its a fair comparison - the 197 would be fair as a direct comparison to a corsa VXR.

I didnt say anything about it being the best hot hatch ever.

It isnt the best hot hatch ever. But for the price, its definatley up there.

Black/Gold V6 255
I honestly thought I'd priced mine perfectly, completely standard bar a s/s exhaust, black, low owners, full service history, cambelt done, low miles (50k), £3000! Is that 'really' overpriced, surely not???

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I honestly thought I'd priced mine perfectly, completely standard bar a s/s exhaust, black, low owners, full service history, cambelt done, low miles (50k), £3000! Is that 'really' overpriced, surely not???

My point precisely (see posts below)! It's the target market for these cars now that causes the problem - too many kids after them as an aspirational buy but on a shoestring.
Even this month's EVO magazine has Harry Metcalfe referring to it as one of the performance car bargains of the moment.

RB 182

Depends if its a 182 then its cheap, if its a 172 I'd say its quite expensive, what year is it?

Black/Gold V6 255
Depends if its a 182 then its cheap, if its a 172 I'd say its quite expensive, what year is it?

It's a 172 (53 plate), but there are hardly any (if any at all!!) with as low mileage on as mine on Pistonheads, and there's a fair few with a lot more miles on than mine that are asking alot more than me aswell hence the reason I thought mine was priced about right??!!