ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bad day replacing the brakes on my daughters 1.5 dci

The good bit is rears done and new bearings fitted however I'm having a mare with the fronts.
The previous owner had destroyed one of the front brake disc retaining screws. So I cant get the disc free of the hub.
I tried drilling and using a stud extractor but snapped two of them.
Do I try drilling out the screw again and using better quality stud extractors or replace the hub? My thought is to drill the top of the screw, remove the disc and then try to remove what's left from the hub.
Or do I just go for a new hub and do both front bearings ?

Megane 225 f1
Drill the head off the bolt and leave the rest. They are only there to hold the disc secure when the wheel is off. The wheel bolts will hold it once it is back on

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Yep drill the head off take the disc off then get the remains of the screw out with some mole grips..

you could also try hitting the disc very hard with a hammer from behind, if you drilled quite far through the bolt then it should shear off with not too much hassle and then the rest will probably just come out with a pair of mole grips or even by hand if it isn't tight in the threads.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Frustrates the hell out of me with bad design like this. I know they aren't a key structural component - but the grub screws are made of cheese.

Why oh why.....!?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I had similar replacing the front discs on my megane.

One of the disc retaining screws was perfectly smooth, no way of getting a screwdriver into it.
I just dremelled it off and said stuff it.

Listerine & Poledo
Think yourself lucky that you're relatively new to CS, this thread could have gone very stalker, very quickly.

Looks like some useful advice above though, hopefully you get it sorted without too much swearing

Listerine & Poledo
Have we actually helped OP with their problem? Just want to check before everything devolves.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
sort of.

Summary:

Disc retaining bolt is gash.
recommended solution - Grind / mash / dremel disc off.

Yes probs not the best thing to mention my daughter on here :)
well my problems just got a whole lot worse, I got the disc retaining screw drilled out (now just using the one) and changed the disc's etc however the other-side wheel nuts had I assume been put on with air tools several years ago. I managed by using my body weight on a large bar to loosen 3 of them, however the locking wheel nut socket shattered when attempting the last one ! I now face a 3 week delay while Renault send one from Italy ( at least its free of charge )
Also when I drive above 50mph the abs and serv light comes on, I assumed this was to do with the bad condition of the brakes. the lights do not come on when I restart the car or if I stay below 50mph - any ideas

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I'd say it's something to do with the ABS sensors / pickup, but not 100% as I thought that'd show as soon as the car started moving?
Does the new disc have the same number of teeth on the back as the disc that was removed?

the abs sensor is further behind the disc on the swivel hub and the teeth are not part of the disc. are the abs sensors pricey as seems an easy fix to swap them ?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
they're completely overpriced for what they are.
Although from your last post, I may be wrong, as you probably wouldn't have touched either of the offending articles.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The abs sensors are relatively cheap on the dci's (and non sports in general) as they don't have ESP. From memory they're around £20-30 per side. I don't think a sensor is at fault though. The abs light will come on if it detects the wheels are travelling at different speeds. The fact its only coming on above 50mph makes me think its only registering a big enough difference in speed between two wheels above that point.

I'd check for cracks in the abs rings, or any dirt on the sensors before replacing anything.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd be inclined to put 4 normal bolts in instead of the crappy locking ones. No one's going to steal standard wheels worth £50 (unless you've got something ridiculous on there, which it doesn't sound like ......) and the damn things are more hassle than they're worth - as you've found out !
If you've not got a spare 4 bolts - get some from a scrappy perhaps...

Have just sent off the request for a new locking wheel nut key ( 3 weeks from Italy ) when it arrives I will complete the brakes then my plan is to clean all the sensors etc and hope for the best :)

not really in a hurry as daughter hasn't passed her test yet ! and plenty to do on my own cars. Perhaps should clear up the pics business lads :) .She is only 17 but sings professionally when the car is sorted I will post up a link to some video. just be gentle with the comments :)

182cup & 172 racecar
not really in a hurry as daughter hasn't passed her test yet ! and plenty to do on my own cars. Perhaps should clear up the pics business lads :smile: .She is only 17 but sings professionally when the car is sorted I will post up a link to some video. just be gentle with the comments :smile:

Don't worry, my lass is a model and posted pic, just let the wolves carry on.

It's all a bit of banter, and no harm meant or done.

Update time.
the replacement socket arrived from Italy, but the wheel stud snapped.
So I have ordered two 2nd hand wheel hubs, and a little bonus I think I have solved the abs problem as the ring was split, so two of them ordered as well. this car is now looking a lot like "triggers broom" but I'm still enjoying working on it.
I do have one rant, Renault dealers never ever stock even the most basic spares.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I you fancy yourself a welder, you can stick weld some old wheel bolts onto the mashed bolts. That will solidify the crap bolt and give a new turning solution. I did that on my ancient spinning collar security bolts and if you're skilled enough it will work on the disc grubs

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Surprisingly helpful advise from Cliosport here, not sure if because a female was mentioned or not... :)