ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

back end all over the show

Laguna sport tourer
I recently had my front tyres (hankook v12)replaced all was well, after about 1000 miles I decided to put the new ones on the back of the car as surely the good tyres go on the back? now the back end of the car is sliding all over the place almost undriveable! is this normal due to the negative camber of the back wheels i.e. they will need bedding in again or are my back shocks knackered?
looking at the tyres it looks as if the outside isn't touching the road.
my rear camber is 1degree and 30 minutes by the way
thanks in advance:approve:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I recently had my front tyres (hankook v12)replaced all was well, after about 1000 miles I decided to put the new ones on the back of the car as surely the good tyres go on the back? now the back end of the car is sliding all over the place almost undriveable! is this normal due to the negative camber of the back wheels i.e. they will need bedding in again or are my back shocks knackered?
looking at the tyres it looks as if the outside isn't touching the road.
my rear camber is 1degree and 30 minutes by the way
thanks in advance:approve:

I think you'd know if one (or both) of your rear dampers had failed as they knock and bang like a b**ch. I drove mine for 1 day when the near-side rear decided to loose its oil and it was borderline dangerous.

D.

Laguna sport tourer
michelin pe2 which are now on the front. the hankooks were fine on the front which surprised me. this is very dangerous to drive at the moment and is doing my head in:S

there is no knocking noise

Mk5 golf gti
rear dampers dont neccasirly knock and bang when they start to fail
mine is currnetly like driving on ice due to a leaking rear damper on the passenger side an makes no noise
whip wheels off and check only takes 5 mins
im just saving for coilovers for now :D

Laguna sport tourer
rear dampers dont neccasirly knock and bang when they start to fail
mine is currnetly like driving on ice due to a leaking rear damper on the passenger side an makes no noise
whip wheels off and check only takes 5 mins
im just saving for coilovers for now :D
i had a look yesterday when i swopped the wheels over- no oil leaks i followed the car earlier with my wife driving it and it almost looks funny, almost like the hand brake is being pulled up

120d M Sport
Have you given them chance to 'run in' ? Usually takes at least 150 miles worth of driving.

Could be down to worn rear bushes too.

172 ph-quick
swap them back round and see if it solves the problem. its the only way you'll know if its the tyres or not. if it still does it with the pe2's on the back try changing the shocks.

Laguna sport tourer
swap them back round and see if it solves the problem. its the only way you'll know if its the tyres or not. if it still does it with the pe2's on the back try changing the shocks.
im almost certain changing them back will solve it, i just can't understand why they were ok on the front but not on the back

Laguna sport tourer
if anyone else has any input it would be much appreciated. will take the car for a full geometry check tomorrow

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a complete imbalance of grip front/rear to me.

Having the Hankooks on the front probably flattered them a little as they had 700 kgs pressing them down. Now they're on the back they've got just over half that.

Factor in PE2s being phenomenal no matter where you put them - gripped OK at the back and now grip very well up front...and I'd say that's your problem right there.

Swapping them back will confirm...do that before you spend money on a geometry check.

Laguna sport tourer
Sounds like a complete imbalance of grip front/rear to me.

Having the Hankooks on the front probably flattered them a little as they had 700 kgs pressing them down. Now they're on the back they've got just over half that.

Factor in PE2s being phenomenal no matter where you put them - gripped OK at the back and now grip very well up front...and I'd say that's your problem right there.

Swapping them back will confirm...do that before you spend money on a geometry check.
i will swop them back later and see how i get on

Laguna sport tourer
right swopped my tyres back this morning the problems with the back end have gone totally:D just the front end seems a bit more prone to under steer which i can live with. moral of the story don't putr hankook v12's on the back of your clio they are fine on the front, but then the pe2's they replaced were getting pretty low. next time I will be getting pe2's hell the extra expence

BG 182 FF
Glad you sorted it out mate.

I use to have V12s on the front as well and have to say they're pretty good tyres. Recently replaced by PE2s - even better! Though much more expensive.

RS RIP
I think i read also in here that you put your PE2's from the BACK to the FRONT ?

This you should also never do. Does'nt sound like your problem but never switch tyres that have been on the back long enough to the front. My car-mechanic also did this without asking me btw and the car was all over the place. The back tyres take on a " different shape" after a while.

RS RIP
after reading again; it's starting to sound like it COULD be your prob. Same as mine when the t**t put the back tyres to the front without my asking

Laguna sport tourer
after reading again; it's starting to sound like it COULD be your prob. Same as mine when the tw*t put the back tyres to the front without my asking
thinking about it the front end was pulling all over the place as well. I suppose with the extra negative camber on the rear the tyres will wear to this then when trasferring them to the front the weight would be more on the outside of the tyre if this makes sense

RS RIP
^^ well , somebody once showed me on my car. Looking at the back tyres, straight from the back, you could see that they go a little "oval" or better; rounded. I'm talking about the flat surface. If they are on the back long enough , like mine, you can clearly see this

Back here in Holland, they call this "Cupping" of the tyres.

Do'nt really know why or how though.

Iceberg Ph1
I got Hancook V12's all round on my 172, thing handles like a dream, wet or dry, sticks like sh!t to a blanket, it maybe be an issue with being worn on the front first, but I'm not sure, I had mine all fitted at the same time and never had an issue.. Glad you had this sorted though mate

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I massively prefer V12 to PE2. But they need lower pressures than PE2, or they do feel odd.

Laguna sport tourer
I massively prefer V12 to PE2. But they need lower pressures than PE2, or they do feel odd.
thats interesting as i will need the other two changing soon don't know weather to go for the v12's or pe'2 i was running the backs at 30psi with the v12's