ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Awkward Driving Position?

Hi All,

New member here, and one who is seriously thinking of a Clio Sport for a next car! Leaning towards the 182 at the moment...

The issue I have is my sister has a 05 1.2 Clio, but when driving that I found the driving position really awkward...basically you had two options :

1) Sit so you could comfortably change into the forward gears, but then you were basically sat on top of the pedals and extremely cramped, making it difficult to take your foot off the clutch (although her clutch does seem to have a fairly high biting point)

2) Sit so you were a comfortable distance from the pedals but then couldn't change into the forward gears

What I'm wondering is will the 1*2 be the same as this 1.2?

I did try a search and generally people seem to want to lower the seats, but I haven't seen anyone mention my issue yet...I must be in the minority haha

I'd say I'm a fairly standard shape, albeit a little short at 5' 8", but I haven't got long legs or short arms - about average I'd say

Just wondering as this could make a massive influence on whether I get one or not!

Many Thanks,

James

I think in clios you sit way too high in both driver and passenget seat. Its something that you just get used to..

Im a short arsed too. My mate had a go in the 182 hes 6ft 5 and couldn't sit in it at all lol

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you have difficulty moving the stick far enough forward, you can chop a bit off the selector arm which brings the gearstick back a bit. I've not done it so I can't remember how much needs to come off, but it's worth asking around should you want to do it.

Thanks all - appreciated! Interesting point about that mod...I'll have to do some reading into it

That reminds me actually - will a 1*2 use the same gearbox as a 1.2?

Just I found the throw on my Sister's Clio ridiculous, I'd say there's probably about 6" from gear 1 & 2, probably more!

Is the 182 the same? I know I could get a short shifter but apparently the gearbox doesn't like quick shifting

Many Thanks

James

I had a 1.4 clio and the rs is definitely a lot shorter. Doesnt the 182 have a short gear shift as standard i read somewhere. Either way it's definitely shorter.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
two fixes for the position, longer gearstick ( several options)
there is an italianguy on here @GiacomoRS who makes an exellent steering shaft extender, i have one, well worth the money.

Thanks all - good to hear that it has a shorter throw.

Interesting to hear about that steering shaft extension - does that literally just bring the gear stick back closer? Or does it do something else?

And rough cost....

Many Thanks

James

Search 'burpspeed linkage mod. It'll fix the position of the gearstick. I have fitted a sabelt wheel and additional spacer to bring the wheel forward and am going to have the subframes for my Recaro's modded to lower the seat position.

Then it'll be perfect lol.

image.jpg
image.jpg

The linkage mod brings the neutral position back, so where 4th is on a normal 182 is where my neutral is. (You can amend the lenght to suit exactly where you want the shifter to sit.)

Oh and I have fitted the shifter from a megane scenic which is longer with a yanoo kit to make the changes more positive and less like stirring porridge!!!

Cost: linkage £0
Shifter from a scenic with yanoo kit £70
Wheel: £110 2nd hand
BG adjustable spacer £55
Momo boss £55

Perfect Nick - your a star!

I'll do some searching once I've finished work, but some great information there!

Pleased to see that I'm not the only one with the issue, as a search didn't seem to bring anything up...

I guess the easiest is just to try and have a sit in an 1*2, that should give me a quick idea straight away!

BG Clio 182
Yeah I'm going to be honest my 182 is the same, it's f**king dreadful, too far back for the gearstick or too close for the pedals it's a ball ache but f**k the ride is so good you tend to not care lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The driving position is a little strange at first . When I got my first 172 I felt like I was sitting so high up . I'm 6'1" , so have the seat as far back as it will go with the seat raised to its highest position , perfect for my reach to the pedals , steering wheel and gear stick , although the top of my head does brush the headlining slightly , but that's no big deal . 14 years later , I'm used to it now :smile:

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'm 5ft 10ins. Long body and short arms and legs and the clios driving position is fine for me. Driving trucks these days so the Clio never feels high up!

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
I'm 6ft and i have no issues apart from i felt like i was sitting really high up, but got used to it pretty quickly!

Clio Sport 172
I have a 172, which has replaced my 1.2. I can't say I found any difference in the seat/how I sit in it but the gears are shorter (although I wouldn't have said by much). Never had an issue with people fitting in it (I'm 5ft 7, my brother is 6ft 2), but I have had a comment about the pedals being slightly off-set.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The downside to being a big bloke. You look a tool in or on everything unless it's a monster truck or a goldwing style cruiser.