ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

auxillary belt phase1 172

renaultsport clio 182

and tensioners can most garages change this,or is it a renault job,if so anyone had it done and how much.

cheers steve.;)

172 cup'd extreme

aux belt? most people take the headlight out its not that hard a job, i have done my own but i take the grille and slam pannel out to get at it, most garages will do it easy and not charge you as much as ren.

cam belt? there are special mot tools to do this job our local garage has the tools but some wont better off asking

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

The Aux belt is a fairly easy job tbh.

i did mine myself...did what Jon said above. i removed the panel between the headlights, front bumper and headlight.

If you need more access you can support the engine with a trolley jack and remove the engine mount. The lump can then be jacked up out of the bay to a degree. This will make it sooo much easier...but your car will look a bit scary.:oops: Same procedure for the cambelt although you need a device to lock the cams in place (a decent garage should have these, not just reno) that bolts on to the block. The hanger that supports the air-con pump and alternator is a bit of a swine as its spring-loaded and provides the tension for the aux belt....bit of gentle work with somthing with a lot of leverage should do it. I used a torque wrench;)

You can get the aux belt done in about an hour or so.

Cambelt took me 4 hours as there was only 2 of us.

--chris

renaultsport clio 182

cheers guys basically its sqealing when i first fire it up in the morning for about a minute then it goes away until i put it on full lock,so its not a hard job and not a renault garage job,ide have a go myself but i just dont have the time so its a garage job,does anyone know any garages in or around south yorkshire and a roundabout price.

again cheers steve.;)

The Squealing might be due to the Aux Belt Idler Pulley Bearing.. Would be worth replacing that at the same time.. Common problem..

Or the Power Steering Pump.. Especially when you say it goes away when on lock. Check the PAS fluid level..

Megane225FF

dont go to Renault Huddersfield... lying c>>ts!!

Renault in Wakefield seem to offer good service.. dont know of the price though, mine was changed under warranty..

renaultsport clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by 172 Exclusive on 02 June 2005

The Squealing might be due to the Aux Belt Idler Pulley Bearing.. Would be worth replacing that at the same time.. Common problem..

Or the Power Steering Pump.. Especially when you say it goes away when on lock. Check the PAS fluid level..
as said above matey it goes after about 45 seconds or so,then comes back only slightly when holding it on full lock^^^^^not go away^^^ as you qoute,the power steering pumps fine as is the fluid level,ime thinking as you say the idler pulley bearing is a strong suspect because on full lock this is when the belt gets the most stress hence the noise coming back,the belt itself looks fine,the mileage is only 23,000 so dont think it could be worn,what pis*es me off most is that this morning it was as quite as a mouse.:confused:

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

yes the lower idle bearings are pretty commen for going noisy. they must pick up crap as there right at the bottem.

on very early 172 there were some technical solutions related to pas pumps and noises. if i remember ill have a look at work