ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt itssue - PAS pulley alignment!

Could anyone help me out with this worrying issue on my 182...
I replaced the PAS pump with a re-manufactured one a couple on months ago and fitted a genuine aux belt kit at the same time as it was due ( for its 3rd). At the time I had concerns over the alignment of the pulley on the pump, it was pre-fitted to the replacement I got sent but it appeared to me that it had been pressed on a fraction too far by the manufacturer. As the old one was faulty I just assumed the new one must be the "right" alignment.

Anyway, its been bugging me, and now the cars begun to make a brief "chirrup" from the belt area upon startup. Just for half a second or so. So I've had a good look at the setup and its clear that the PAS pulley is pulling the belt in toward the engine slightly meaning that it doesn't run perfectly true through the tensioner. I think it's damaging the belt as there is a dark line developing on the non-ribbed side of the belt, a couple of mm in from the engine side edge. This is the worrying part!

So I'm pretty sure I need to re-align the PAS pulley, but how do I go about doing this? Pretty annoyed about this too, as I would have bought a new/genuine pump from renault except they diddn't come with the pulley already pressed on... so I got a remanufactured!

Any help appreciated please.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, you need a three prong puller... Halfords will sell you one. It does need to be a specific dimension though.

Thanks for the reassurance!

I've not got a huge range of tools beyond the normal sockets/spanners etc - I'd heard of needing special tools and wasn't sure how much of a problem it was to do without damaging the pump. Its the three arm flange that the pulley bolts to I'm on about...so that part can be pulled back off the spindle, yes?

I've just rummaged around in the shed and found the original pump, and it does look like it would be simple with the right tool. But can it be done in situ or will I need to have the pump out again? I know I'll need a neew belt but the pump was a PiTA to get back in, expecially without a garage in this weather!

you could do it in situ, would be a bit fiddly but could be done.

Thanks. I've had another brief look tonight and I think when the belt and pulley is off I just might be able to get a puller in there. But I'm not convinced. I'm thinking of ways of making up a tool using bolts and shims to pull the pulley in situ ATM, as it seems worth a try.

The things I don't know are how much force is required to move the pulley arm on te spindle, and what size of puller I need to do the job if I can't make up some DIY threads-plate-n-washers jobbie. If needs be I WILL take the pump out again to do the job right, but if its easy to do with abit of inginuity I'm game for that.