ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt change?

Clio 182 FF
I have a clio 182 and it had the cambelt change on 71k not long before I got it just over a year ago. Although I can't see any think on any review its about the six belt being done too. You would like to think they would have but there's nothing I can see.

i know it was done at 36k when it was services at Renault tho

would you advise to change the belt to be sure? It doesn't look to bad of condition, but then it doesn't look new either, also if I changed it could I get away with just doing belt and not tensioner as the cutter tensioner seems pretty solid.
The car is on around 86k now

Megane r26
Just buy a full aux kit, don't be tight cause it'll cost you later. Wests Renault and Renault Parts Direct both had aux kits on offer at around the 60 pounds mark iirc

If the aux belt does fail it usually causes the timing to slip on the f4r due to the lack of keyed pulleys. Hope this helps.

FF Racing Blue 182
when you buy the aux kit and cambelt kit do they include the pulleys and i take it you would just need the timing tool to complete the job

what does it cost for both the kits out of curiosity

Megane r26
when you buy the aux kit and cambelt kit do they include the pulleys and i take it you would just need the timing tool to complete the job

what does it cost for both the kits out of curiosity

You can get both the kits for around 170 I paid about 160 for the tooling from Renault

The belt is quite easy really, there's a lot to take out the way first though. I wouldn't recommend it as a first belt, depends how confident you are. It's similar to a Zetec se, non of the pulleys are keyed so its a floating set up

Clio 182 FF
I have checked the belt and it looks fairly new and the tension is pretty good. I reckons it's been change resently with cambelt just not got invoice for it too. So may leave it till next year

The drive belt kit has a belt and the tensioner, but where exactly is the pulley for. Only pulley I can see that looks similar is the one on alternator :S

also the water pump is driven by drive bet isn't it so when I do change the drive belt would you also change the pump ?

Megane r26
I have checked the belt and it looks fairly new and the tension is pretty good. I reckons it's been change resently with cambelt just not got invoice for it too. So may leave it till next year

The drive belt kit has a belt and the tensioner, but where exactly is the pulley for. Only pulley I can see that looks similar is the one on alternator :S

also the water pump is driven by drive bet isn't it so when I do change the drive belt would you also change the pump ?

Waterpumps rarely go, check for any play. If the water pump was on the cambelt I'd always change it.

The spare pulley is an idler pulley, undo it through the wheel arch.

Me personally if there was no history of a recent change I would do it for piece of mind, bent valves an a head rebuild will soon set you back more then a set of belts.

Clio 182 FF
Waterpumps rarely go, check for any play. If the water pump was on the cambelt I'd always change it.

The spare pulley is an idler pulley, undo it through the wheel arch.

Me personally if there was no history of a recent change I would do it for piece of mind, bent valves an a head rebuild will soon set you back more then a set of belts.

Oh right just pump been on there since new and in 85k now.
Okay but not sure which one thy pulley idler is lol.

yeah your right about that but tho g is if I change it now its due again at about 121k. Bit the. Cambelt won't be due till 140k so would have to come off again for that. Thought if I leave it a year and then do it will bring then two changes closer together, especially as the belt does look fairly good. Doesn't look to have been on since 36k tbh.

hen you say change for piece of mind do you mean just the belt or would I have to do the tensioner to, do they have to change them every 36k or is it literally just the belt that has to be changed all the time?

Megane r26
Oh right just pump been on there since new and in 85k now.
Okay but not sure which one thy pulley idler is lol.

yeah your right about that but tho g is if I change it now its due again at about 121k. Bit the. Cambelt won't be due till 140k so would have to come off again for that. Thought if I leave it a year and then do it will bring then two changes closer together, especially as the belt does look fairly good. Doesn't look to have been on since 36k tbh.

hen you say change for piece of mind do you mean just the belt or would I have to do the tensioner to, do they have to change them every 36k or is it literally just the belt that has to be changed all the time?

I was saying if I had no history idea change I'd change the whole kit, don't scrimp because it will cost you.

Clio 182 FF
I was saying if I had no history idea change I'd change the whole kit, don't scrimp because it will cost you.

Yeah I see what you mean mate. But does the Renault advise of changing every 36k mean change the hole kit every 36k or should the tensioner and pulley last longer?